Author Topic: Coromandel Valley Station  (Read 6954 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Coromandel Valley Station
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:24:46 AM »
Does anyone know what the antenna-like things on the top of Coro's engine bay are for?

Picture by CFS Promotions Unit (http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/Station_Display.asp?Service_Code=SACFS&Station_Code=CRML)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Coromandel Valley Station
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:38:52 AM »
Look like mobile phone to me!!!
Check with coro, firetruck, alex??????
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MATTE

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
They are Mobile phone antennas.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 09:45:38 AM »
They are Mobile phone antennas.

Any idea why they there? is this so Coro can make some extra money on the side? :lol:

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:50:03 AM »
Its Usally The Case As The Companies Usalloy Pay Rights To Have This Installed & Maintained There.

I Know Alot Of Apartment Buildings & Also Churchs Do The Same Thing. Churchs Normally Have Theres In The Main Sign At The Front (Depends On How Big The Church Is).

They Have Even Taken To Putting Them Into Fast Food Signs Like Macca's & Hungry Jacks.  I Did Have Some Photos Some Where Of These Being Installed Into A Maccas Sign.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:56:39 AM »
They Have Even Taken To Putting Them Into Fast Food Signs Like Macca's & Hungry Jacks. I Did Have Some Photos Some Where Of These Being Installed Into A Maccas Sign.

wow! :-o If I want to ever have kids, I'd better stay away from those churches and fast food signs ;-)
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the "safe" distance is from a mobile phone antenna?

Wagon 1

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »
I have seen a few stations like that, their neighbours Cherry Gardens has some as well. I thought CFS might have a policy on that in regards to radiation etc?

corocfs

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 08:50:07 PM »
not sure how/why we ended up with them, but yes they are telstra phone towers.. as for radiation/safe distance, im a little concerned, but the theory goes that since we are directly under it should be ok.. ROFLMAO oh well, there goes any chance of having kids in the future

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:20:58 PM »
Contrary to popular belief the type of radiation output from a tower is not harmful. The wrod radiation conjures up all sorts of weird beliefs but the worlds best consider it a non issue.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 07:15:07 PM »
Well, off topic, but they told us A Class Foam could make you sterile but despite me and my husband splashing around in it for years still managed twins :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

corocfs

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 09:06:34 PM »
HAH

mmm and having mobiel phones in pockets.. oh well, i have had my mobile in my pocket for the last 4 years at least....

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 11:43:27 PM »
Nothing like fried eggs and sausage...

lol.. jks..

Altho, saw in the media (one of those Human interest pieces)  in the last few days that they believe phones / blue tooth etc pose a very real threat in relation to cancer/ tumours etc etc.

corocfs

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 11:50:53 PM »
aah well... unfortunately i think a lot of us cant manage without the technology

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 06:52:17 PM »
It's difficult isn't it... What I don't understand though, is how a Mobile phone antenna can be harmless, but pregnant women aren't allowed to use a GRN radio... :? Different kind of 'radiation'?

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 03:46:27 PM »
working in the communications industry, i can tell you that as long as you dont decide to stand directly in front of the Antennas you shouldn't be likely to have a problem.
far as i can tell, all the stories about phones and cancer come from people who fear technology and change.
people think "radiation", they think glowing in the dark and nuclear bombs.
as far as i know, you can use a mobile every day and never get aproblem. i know i spend several hours a day on my mobile, and the only problem is the people who are calling me :lol:

i dont know about the GRN bit, but i suppose it is something to do with the RF output being higher, maybe??? dont rightly know, but i will ask about and see what i can come up with..

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 05:49:34 PM »
i know i spend several hours a day on my mobile, and the only problem is the people who are calling me :lol:
hahaha, I know that feeling :lol:

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 10:41:47 PM »
Radiation from the average mobile cell is less than the radiation from the average mobile radio fitted to taxis or appliances.  It is also very carefully 'shaped' to be parallel to the ground.  A gingerbeer mate who designs these things reckons we are bathed in many times more electromagnetic radiation from the electric wiring in our homes than we'd ever get from mobile phone towers.  And that there is direct linkage to cancers etc from mains radiation...
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.