Author Topic: Helmets - structure and rural  (Read 8965 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Helmets - structure and rural
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:39:10 AM »
How many brigades out there still have 2 helmets for urban and rural jobs?
We tried it a couple of years back, and it was just plain annoying, not to mention that the rural helmets we had looked like miner's helmets :lol:

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Helmets - structure and rural
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:06:39 AM »
Our brigade members have two helmets, ie. structural if they are BA/HAZ/RCR. Personally, I wear my structure helmet everywhere, except on striketeams.
Most of our members also wear their structure helmet to most incidents, providing they have one.

Wagon 1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:55:11 AM »
We used to double up, some still have both, but never wear them, we abide by the rule of 45 wear time, 15 min down time or what ever it is.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:15:36 PM »
We used to double up, some still have both, but never wear them, we abide by the rule of 45 wear time, 15 min down time or what ever it is.
We use structure helmets all the time, I have never had problems with them being to heavy.I just think that because we use them all the time it's no problem

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 02:38:51 PM »
Yeah we used to have rural helmets as well but we broke so many that we gave the rest to our cadets who love them.

Pity you cant use top guards anymore they were a great rural helmet.

Wagon 1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 04:10:43 PM »
Pity you cant use top guards anymore they were a great rural helmet.

They were just a great helmet fullstop, ahhhh memories!

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 12:43:05 PM »
Only structural helmet.  No bushwacker helmet!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:04:24 PM »
I was "lucky" enough to get both types of helmet. Dont think Ive ever worn the rural though.... donated it to one of the cadets....

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 10:51:33 AM »
Had a Scott Aspen rural gave it to the rubbish bin as it I got a headache after only 5 Min's. They tried to fix it spent over $50.00 to make it fit properly but no luck. Now I use my Cairns 660 only.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 05:10:34 PM »
Don't think it's politically correct but have neve worn anything other than my structural helmet since 1995 :-)

In fact the rural helmet I have in my locker is a topguard!!
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 04:09:28 PM »
Our rural helmets got removed a long time ago.... Structural helmets are great for everything.

probie_boy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »
on my BFF1, one of the instructors was ripping into me because i didn't have a rural helmet, and he was saying that structural helmets are not suitable for wildfires. I don't know about him, but i'd prefer to have a structural helmet on my head if a tree branch hit me. as for having two helmets, that can be bad. 12-18 months ago, we got a call for a grass fire, upon arriving at the job, we found a small area of grass alight NEXT TO THE HOUSE THAT WAS FULLY ENGULFED IN FLAMES. had we taken rural helmets, we wouldn't have been able to go near the house. which is why structural helmets are the only ones we use.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »
unfortunately a lot of CFS course trainers have little or no idea, and only have very limtied experience (i am in no way saying that i would do a better job.)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
unfortunately a lot of CFS course trainers have little or no idea, and only have very limtied experience (i am in no way saying that i would do a better job.)

We had our members come back from a level two course asking why our brigade doesn't use 38 or 64mm hoses at car fires, because the instructors said that those two hoses are the only ones you should use!! Not very practical!!
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
unfortunately a lot of CFS course trainers have little or no idea, and only have very limited experience (i am in no way saying that i would do a better job.)

Thats a little harsh - maybe there are a lot at brigade/group level who have very limited exposure outside of their brigade/group - hence are ignorant rather than no idea, but from what I've seen and experienced those that deliver training at the Regional level and state level are excellent and have a good grounding - I guess they also have a good exposure as they see lots of brigades, meet many people and hear heaps about what other do!

Ha ha ha - a 64 for a car fire - by the time it's bowled, coupled, connected and has water flowing the HP line with have the car fire out and crews will have put the BA back on the trucks and be ready to go
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »
The person doing the course at SCTC said that myself and my captain who taught our brigade at the time said we were idiots for using anything but those hoses. But you get that we still use HP lines.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 03:37:08 PM »
and dont forget the charged 38s for fire cover at car accidents... lol

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
...But you get that we still use HP lines.

The sidelines on standard 24p's - such as yours - are not technically HP lines.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »

No need to be technical :-P :lol: OK then sidelines :wink:

As for Helmets BA operators only in our group get structure helmets, our group is just starting to get the Cairns ones but everyone else has Pacifics. I've been trying to get structure helmets for all RCR guys and gals but group won't go for it.

As for rural helmets all RCR have got the Scott Aspen which when we got it was the most uncomfortable helmet ever but two bike helmet pads for a grand cost of $5 fixed that. I showed the guys at FARA what i did to the helmet cause the CFS had only just got them, and low and behold what then came out on the next batch of helmets......  :wink:
And everyone else has the Pacific's with the visor thats about as useful as "tits on a bull".....
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 06:43:41 AM »

No need to be technical :-P :lol: OK then sidelines :wink:

As for Helmets BA operators only in our group get structure helmets, our group is just starting to get the Cairns ones but everyone else has Pacifics. I've been trying to get structure helmets for all RCR guys and gals but group won't go for it.

As for rural helmets all RCR have got the Scott Aspen which when we got it was the most uncomfortable helmet ever but two bike helmet pads for a grand cost of $5 fixed that. I showed the guys at FARA what i did to the helmet cause the CFS had only just got them, and low and behold what then came out on the next batch of helmets......  :wink:
And everyone else has the Pacific's with the visor thats about as useful as "tits on a bull".....

i dont see any reason for RCR operators to require structure helmets... itd be nice, but all they really need is a light weight helmet with a visor.. should be wearing goggles/safety glasses newho.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 08:50:01 PM »
As a measure to please us all, all RCR in the group got the scott aspen rural because of the thicker and i'm hoping more resistant visor than the standard pacific pieces of rubbish. :|

But as rural helmets go i have to say the scott aspen is fairly decent.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »

Thats a little harsh -...........

funny you say that, mine was a regional down at South Coast!

Mmmm I rest my case!

Maybe I should have said a State level (FSTC), or courses coordinated/facilitated by the Region
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.