Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 635228 times)

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #350 on: July 07, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »
every time i have applied, i have been interviewed.
I just want to help

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:54:16 PM by BT085 »

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 08, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »
every time i have applied, i have been interviewed.

Hey Gasman, with the times you have been interviewed, did you ever have the same people interview you? What about the questions, did they change them at all?

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
The questions are always different, same types of questions but always worded differently enough to throw you. The interview panels have always been different people as well. I will continue to apply until they take me or tell me not to apply again !!!
I just want to help

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 11, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »
Well its official, i missed out again...... Maybe just one more try !!
I just want to help

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 11, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »

Sorry to hear gasman.. Wat did the letter say? Was it a traditional "try next time" letter.. They must be only sending them out now as I am still waiting

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 11, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
Mate just keep trying. Getting to the interview is an achievement it's self. This was my first time, I didn't pass the testing stage.

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 11, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

Sorry to hear gasman.. Wat did the letter say? Was it a traditional "try next time" letter.. They must be only sending them out now as I am still waiting
What # try is this for you BT085? Maybe your getting cab ranked.

Monger

« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »

I know a guy who got an email today that said to stay fit as you may be called upon later. No ranking number though

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »

Sammy this is my first go.. I put a lot of effort into it, a lot of research-spoken to lots of ppl etc... Luck also plays a part.
Ferret that is the letter I got today... Im hoping that is a ranking letter without an "actual rank".. I guess its good news but not sure where I am at now....??? Might ring hr later in wk and try and get some info

I know a guy who got an email today that said to stay fit as you may be called upon later. No ranking number though

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »

Ferret that is the letter I got today... Im hoping that is a ranking letter without an "actual rank".. I guess its good news but not sure where I am at now....??? Might ring hr later in wk and try and get some info

Mate that's a very positive response. Fingers crossed for the next squad.

Offline Johnny

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
Yeah i got the same letter yesterday too... spoke to HR last week and they said they aren't going to tell us our rank # should we get put into the pool. Good news i think, we are cab ranked, just dont know what number...

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
Hey there, anyone done their pat2 yet?? Im  on Thursday.  Heard some full on stories from ones prior.  Drop something and your out ect.

Monger

« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
Hey there, anyone done their pat2 yet?? Im  on Thursday.  Heard some full on stories from ones prior.  Drop something and your out ect.

The pat2 isnt that hard. If you have watched the dvd you know what to expect. You have plenty of time to finish it, only was you can really fail is to freak out or drop something. You get a warning for most of the tests(eg, wrong technique lowering ladder). Most of the tests are designed to test any phobias you may have. Eg. scared of heights, closed spaces, wearing BA and gas suit, being disorientated in the dark etc. Just pace yourself and hold onto everything tight. make sure you are comfortable with the positioning of the hose in the hose hold at the start because it can easily slip once the pressure is turned up and you are directing from side to side

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

I can see the training tower from my office and it looks like there are some doing it now.

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
How bout the medical.  Have heard the look at you petty hard. Do many fail that stage. How bout knee recons ect. Do you sign a medical release.

Monger

« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
How bout the medical.  Have heard the look at you petty hard. Do many fail that stage. How bout knee recons ect. Do you sign a medical release.

When i did the medical about 3 years ago i think you had to fill out a questionaire on previous injuries. The main focus of the medical was the stability of all your joints, so previous injuries shouldnt matter as long as the joints are now stable. To be honest it was one of the more basic medicals i have been through. I think they realise that you have already passed the pat1 and pat2 so you are physically ok.As long as your vision and hearing are to the levels they require

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
obviously age isnt much of a barrier when they look for recruits, have heard someone made the pat 2 at age 50?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Still hope for me yet then, 42 this year
I just want to help

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
obviously age isnt much of a barrier when they look for recruits, have heard someone made the pat 2 at age 50?

Is this for real? What is the age a firefighter will come off the tools? One would think 60ish?

Monger

« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »

Is this for real? What is the age a firefighter will come off the tools? One would think 60ish?

As you will work out if you get in the SAMFS, they are not allowed to discriminate in any way during any recruiting or promotions. There should be an age limit, its not a job for someone in there mid 50's to be running round on the back of trucks.I think they have realised this and are now recruiting a lot more younger people. You might get a couple in their 40's in each drill squad.

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »

As you will work out if you get in the SAMFS, they are not allowed to discriminate in any way during any recruiting or promotions. There should be an age limit, its not a job for someone in there mid 50's to be running round on the back of trucks.I think they have realised this and are now recruiting a lot more younger people. You might get a couple in their 40's in each drill squad.

You'd think they wouldn't take on anyone without the intention of getting 10yrs service out of them.

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been following it for a few months... My Husband applied but did not get through the written test but a friend of ours got through the interview and was given the "Stay Fit" email.  I've heard that some people have been failing the pat 2 test! does anyone know how true this is?

Monger

« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been following it for a few months... My Husband applied but did not get through the written test but a friend of ours got through the interview and was given the "Stay Fit" email.  I've heard that some people have been failing the pat 2 test! does anyone know how true this is?

Generally not too many people fail the pat2 test so i doubt its true. Not sure if it is still the same but you get a 2nd opportunity if you fail the pat2 on first try.

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
One go at pat 2!!!!!!

anything