Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 635147 times)

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #450 on: July 20, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
Well if trade background is a help, i am stumped. 25 years of trade work, 10 of those as a self employed business owner, volunteer and all round nice guy and i still cant get past the interview. Thor, i need your help !!! Email me please!
I just want to help

Monger

« Reply #451 on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
Well if trade background is a help, i am stumped. 25 years of trade work, 10 of those as a self employed business owner, volunteer and all round nice guy and i still cant get past the interview. Thor, i need your help !!! Email me please!

Have you come out of the interview thinking "i had answers and examples for all the questions i was asked"? As i have said on here before there is a lot of luck involved. 4 or 5 different panels interviewing a lot of different applicants, the difference between getting through interview or not may be just 1 answer. I know it must be frustrating, have you had feedback on where you went wrong?? What did they say?

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »
I walked out this year and thought it would be my year. Best interview i have had to date. No feedback as yet. Starts monday next week i believe. Feed back in past has been very generic, i tink almost everyone i have spoken to has had almost identical feedback. Look forward to what they have to say this year. Just cant believe that i didnt at least make the standby group... Well i am 42 this year, my business starts to suffer every time i apply as i try not to overload my work in case i get accepted, if they dont see me ever getting in i wish they would just tell me straight up. Wait and see i guess.
I just want to help

Monger

« Reply #453 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
I walked out this year and thought it would be my year. Best interview i have had to date. No feedback as yet. Starts monday next week i believe. Feed back in past has been very generic, i tink almost everyone i have spoken to has had almost identical feedback. Look forward to what they have to say this year. Just cant believe that i didnt at least make the standby group... Well i am 42 this year, my business starts to suffer every time i apply as i try not to overload my work in case i get accepted, if they dont see me ever getting in i wish they would just tell me straight up. Wait and see i guess.

The person giving the feedback wont be the person who interviewed you so HR will just be going on how many boxes were ticked or not ticked.

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 21, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Gasman.. a friend of mine who got put on the stand by list walked out thinking that was ths worst interview he had ever had! so who knows. Like ferret said there is more than one panel interviewing and you sound as though you have a real passion for the firies, Keep trying mate

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
When do all the medicals finish?

Offline Scott.

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »

This is my first attempt, so I am still trying to understand how the process runs.

1. Does anyone know how many are on the standby list?
2. Do you think the ones on standby will ever receive their ranking number?
3. Does anyone ever fail the 14 week recruits course?

Definitely have more questions than answers at this point. (I think maybe that's how they like it!!.)

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 21, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
How far did you get this time scott? are you on the standby list? how old are you?

Offline Scott.

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 21, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »
Got to interview Triple,j, then got the "maintain fitness" email, so I am guessing I'm on standby list.
Turning 39 next week and living in hope!! 

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
Well Scott my husband is also 39 and he didn't even get to the interview stage but he is determined as ever to give it another go next time!!!!! all the best i hope you get a shot on the next drill squad, and by the sounds of it they are going to run one.

Offline Scott.

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 21, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »
Thanks Triplej, this would have to be the most frustrating and annoying drawn out process I have ever experienced, especially when trying to stay focused on running my own business, having said all that I have enjoyed it, and learnt a lot about myself along the way, and if nothing happens this time around, I'll definitely be back again next year.

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 22, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »

This is my first attempt, so I am still trying to understand how the process runs.

Definitely have more questions than answers at this point. (I think maybe that's how they like it!!.)
#3 is an interesting question, has anyone ever failed does anyone know? Ferret?

Monger

« Reply #462 on: July 22, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »

#3 is an interesting question, has anyone ever failed does anyone know? Ferret?
Pretty sure no one has failed, few have had to pull out with injuries over the years from what ive heard

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 22, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
U think u would try and tough it out even if u broke your back!!! :) Must hav been bad injuries to pull out!

Monger

« Reply #464 on: July 22, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
U think u would try and tough it out even if u broke your back!!! :) Must hav been bad injuries to pull out!

The drill squad is quite physical, with physical training every morning and practical firefighting drills most days so to carry a bad injury through would be tough. Especially a shoulder or knee injury

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »
Some have gone into the next drill squad to finish off. I also think a few years one person was asked to leave half way through the course.

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
How did your medical go Thor? Did they give you a start date?

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
Medical went well. Should hear early august

Monger

« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
Medical went well. Should hear early august

Nice one. How did you find the medical? Pretty basic? What was the hearing test like?

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »
Cheers mate.Same as police. Covered all bases. The respiratory testing was full on. U wouldn't want to smoke or hav asthma! Can't wait to hear now.

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 22, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
Thor.. did they tell you they would tell you early august or is that a guess?

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
Hey, was told a couple of weeks ago that the squad would b informed early august.

Monger

« Reply #472 on: July 22, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
Hey, was told a couple of weeks ago that the squad would b informed early august.
They would still have police check and referee calls to do, which are mere formalities. Unless your a criminal

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
They already called referees.

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 22, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
Would they call referees for only the top 18 or for the reserves and stand by list as well?

anything