Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 635294 times)

Offline Tammey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #525 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
Well done congratulations!!!!! Nothin 4 me yet. Did it come by courier??

Yeah, ring of the doorbell and spookily no one there when answered ..... Just the envelope lying on the floor in front of the door.

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 09, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Is there anything on your letter suggesting possible posting location such as Pirie or Mt Gambier?
I just want to help

Offline Tammey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 09, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
No nothing to indicate where I may be posted. I didn't put down for Mt Gambier or Pt Pirie in my application.

Monger

« Reply #528 on: August 09, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
No nothing to indicate where I may be posted. I didn't put down for Mt Gambier or Pt Pirie in my application.

Pretty sure if there was a chance you would be going to Pirie or Mt gambier they would call u before the offer of employment

Monger

« Reply #529 on: August 09, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
Hey Gasman have you received any feedback?? Were you satisfied with it??

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 09, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
Well it's official.... I'm in :-D

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
Again officially congratulations. Exciting stuff

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 09, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
Have not heard a peep from them as yet ferret. Starting to wonder if i have failed that as well LOL. Well done to Tammy and Thor. I will have a drink to both of you for your success at getting there..
I just want to help

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 09, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
That's great news Thor and Tammy congratulations.I can only imagine how pumped you both must be getting those letters. Good luck for the course and for the future and hope to join you both soon.

skip

« Reply #534 on: August 11, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
just wondering if anyone has any info if there will be anohter drill squad

Offline OldOne

• Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 11, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
Well there will be at least one SES member in the squad. One of my members has received his call up papers and returned his SES crew kit last night.
He said he was one of 18 for this intake out of about 2000 starters so he is a VERY happy chap.

Cheers,

Oldone
SES Communications trainer

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 11, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
I have heard a flurieu CFS member who got in has been offered a 5 year contract to Pt Pirie
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Monger

« Reply #537 on: August 11, 2011, 08:39:39 PM »
Well there will be at least one SES member in the squad. One of my members has received his call up papers and returned his SES crew kit last night.
He said he was one of 18 for this intake out of about 2000 starters so he is a VERY happy chap.

Cheers,

Oldone

Pretty sure only 900 applied. But a good effort none the less.

Offline bolts

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
Congratulations to you guys that got into the next squad. The 14 weeks of the drill squad are pretty full on but you will love it. It's so much fun and really hard work. You filtered are going to be the first squad to have 4 Scania's to use as well. I was in the last squad and we still had to use the old Volvo's. Enjoy guys. See you when you graduate at the end of the year. If you have any questions let me know. Still got all of my study material

Offline Johnny

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
Well done to all that are in the first drill squad!!

Hey Bolts, were you in the first drill squad of your recruitment year?? if not how long after the first drill squad were you notified??

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »

Cheers,

Oldone

Got accepted by the SAMFS, so left the SASES? Why?

Monger

« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »

Cheers,

Oldone

Got accepted by the SAMFS, so left the SASES? Why?

Maybe he was just using SES as a stepping stone to the MFS??

Offline OldOne

• Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 16, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
Maybe he was just using SES as a stepping stone to the MFS??

Yep same as some CFS members upgrade.  So far locally we now have one join the MFS and 4 members join SAPOL, they all make excellent SES ambassadors to their new services and have new skills and knowledge they take with them and hopefully transfer some to the others in their intakes.

It's a win, win for all, SES gets dedicated operators for a number of years and their skills are never lost to the Emergency Services.

Oldone.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Win, lose in my opinion.

MFS get people with prior skills, SES lose previously dedicated members.

Sorry, seems strange to me. I know plenty of people who have MFS as primary employment and still find the time to vollunteer.

My thoughts only.

Offline Andrew K

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 16, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »
personally if i find out a new member or someone who is wanting to join is planning on using the ses for a stepping stone for sapol firies or army i don't really like accepting them they may be dedicated for 6 - 12 months by which time they are just about getting useful. Then we lose them and we've wasted 6months of volunteers time training them and the effort could have been devoted to other members.

we used to have alot of people join as for 6mths to get into sapol then vanish so now we don't take them and we are only taking people are there for their commmunity and generally they are staying 3 or 4 years which is far better for us

pumprescue

« Reply #545 on: August 17, 2011, 02:06:48 AM »
We also ask the same question, those that say I am just in it to train for MFS are asked to move on.

Offline OldOne

• Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
You can look at a short term members in two ways....

What WE can get out of them directly,  train then for 6 months and get 3 to 4 years of as a operational members with usually the last year of low response to callouts.

Secondly what we can do to educate the community about self help,  again train then for 6 months and then get about 1 to 2 years of VERY active operational response from them.   When then join MFS or SAPOL they all say then will stay with SES in their spare time but with long shifts and family commitments most end up resigning.   BUT they left the service with good memories and will act as positive ambassadors in the future.

I have no problems with a couple of short term members in the unit who as using SES to get community involvement experience for their future job prospects.  Where else can then get that sort of "training" experience.

Oldone

Offline Andrew K

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »
 i work more than the standard mfs roster and worse hours and i still find time to volunteer around family commitments so lack of time for me doesn;t really cut it. I have no problems if they commit to hang around after even if they say on one of my days off i'll be availiabe for days and commit to it which we'vehad a couple do that and no probs its great to have a guarnteed person on hand that is usually a reasonably experinced member, i just don't think we should waste training resources when we are stuggling for places on some courses anyway and most of our unit training is organised by volunteers. Normally it takes more than 6 months to get a usefull crew member sure you can get basic first aid and tools done but to get them to understand the capabilites of the equipment and what you can do with and get some jobs under their belt takes longer normally 12 to 18.

As for gettting that experince elsewhere not really our problem, if they want that experince there are courses you can pay for to get that sort of thing and then  work the shutdowns in the mines or industry during leave if you are desperate or committed to entry. - before you ask yes i have been and done this a couple of times and its a great experince.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:13:13 AM by Andrew K »

Offline bolts

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 17, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »

Hey Bolts, were you in the first drill squad of your recruitment year?? if not how long after the first drill squad were you notified??

Hey Johnny. I was actually in the third squad of my recruitment process. So I originally applied around Feb/March 2009, I did the interview and got cab ranked which would have been around July 2009. Then I didn't hear anything until about May 2010 when they rang me to say that they were THINKING about taking a third squad so I went and did the PAT 2 / uniform fit out / medical in June 2010 without any guarantee that they would actually do the third one. Then lucky for me in Aug 2010 I was told that I would be a member of Squad 42 starting in September. So it was a good 18 months from when I originally applied to when I finally started so it can be a really long process if you arnt in the first squad, but worth it.
I'd actually started a new job the day before they rang me to come in and do the PAT 2 so I was only there for a couple of months.

Monger

« Reply #549 on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »

Best advice I could give is: don't put your life on hold waiting to get in because you never know when or if they will call. And if u have the stay fit letter unless u are given a rank number you could be well down the list. Call mara and ask where u stand and the chance of a call up