Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 634996 times)

flyonthewall

Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #575 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »
so..................?  :?

your point is?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:03:36 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 13, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
So how has the course started of Thor? Is it what you expected?

Offline Thor

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
Yeah its all good.  Very lucky to have a great bunch of people on the squad along with very experienced instructors.  Its mentally and physically demanding thats for sure.  You train study eat sleep and do it all again the next day.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 17, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »
Well sounds like it is going to be a hard but fun road ahead Thor. You still good for some info regarding the interview down the track?
I just want to help

Offline Thor

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 18, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
Sure mate. Biggest bit of advice is study the pid till u know every word!!!!!!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 18, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »
after five interviews i think i have a reasonable grasp of the pid
I just want to help

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 19, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
You've got it all wrong you just need to be a footballer at SANFL level or greater or a sportsperson that's been in the public limelight then you're in!

:-D

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 19, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
You've got it all wrong you just need to be a footballer at SANFL level or greater or a sportsperson that's been in the public limelight then you're in!

I once thought the same and obviously the media training etc would help these people alot more than the average person but they still need to pass all the same tests. What I found interesting at my written test is that there where three high level footballers two of AFL level. The two AFL guys didn't get through but the SANFL guy did. Thor do you know if he is on your squad?

Monger

« Reply #583 on: September 19, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »

Think this rule only applied in the 80's and 90's. Out of the last 5 or so drill squads(80 or 90 people) there would only be 2 or 3 well known(using the term very loosely) sports people It helps if you have been involved in a sporting or community club of some type because of the high reliance on team work and living together in close proximity in the SAMFS. It is a very competetive process and lots of people who would make excellent firefighters miss out, you need a lot of luck and to really sell yourself at interview. Maybe the people who are applying multiple times need to find out where they are deficient and do something about it instead of blaming the system.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
Well i can honestly say i have never blamed the system, all i have ever asked for is some constructive feedback. Still waiting for the feed back from this years interview. I have tried to address any deficiency i might have but i obviously have not managed to get it quite right yet. Its all well and good to say "keep trying, you'll get there eventually" but at what cost to my business, family and close friends who try to support me through the whole process?
I am used to the whole system now and the best thing that was ever said to me was, "it's just a game, you just need to learn how to play."
Well it's back to the drawing board, more interview experience and live in hope!
Best of luck to all the new recruits and those who are still in with a chance. See the rest of you when the time comes around again. Might manage to nail it sixth time around!!
I just want to help

pumprescue

« Reply #585 on: September 19, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
I can't explain how you get in, there seems no rhyme nor reason, you see some new one's come in that are quite possibly the worst firefighters in the entire world, and some that are just born to be firefighters. There seems to be no explanation for it, and I can tell you there are some real shockers coming through!

Monger

« Reply #586 on: September 19, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
I can't explain how you get in, there seems no rhyme nor reason, you see some new one's come in that are quite possibly the worst firefighters in the entire world, and some that are just born to be firefighters. There seems to be no explanation for it, and I can tell you there are some real shockers coming through!

As long as you can study the PID, sell yourself and spew out all the keywords that are on the interviewers page to tick then you are half a chance to get thru.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:18:27 PM by Ferret »

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 19, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »

After I looked at the previous drill squad photos on the wall it looked as if you needed to be slightly overweight and balding. Or maybe that is just the life experience they're looking for. 

Monger

« Reply #588 on: September 19, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »

After I looked at the previous drill squad photos on the wall it looked as if you needed to be slightly overweight and balding. Or maybe that is just the life experience they're looking for. 

The fact that there isnt an age limit is a joke. Yeah lets recruit 50 yr olds to do a physically demanding job and get 10yrs service out of them.....

pumprescue

« Reply #589 on: September 19, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Thats happening more and more, talk about poor economy...but then again it might spread the drill squads out a bit, its interesting that the instructors and recruits are only a few hundred pay numbers apart, shows the massive gap in recruiting.

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 19, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »

The fact that there isnt an age limit is a joke. Yeah lets recruit 50 yr olds to do a physically demanding job and get 10yrs service out of them.....

I may have to rely on that fact.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
i Know that one on this drill squad is 50, and was offered a 5yr contract to pt pirie, maybe thats the MFS' way of getting more out of the older folk is to put them in quieter stations?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Monger

« Reply #592 on: September 20, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »

Didnt they have their peak caps on in photo like the 40 previous drill squads???

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 20, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »

Didnt they have their peak caps on in photo like the 40 previous drill squads???

Probably, but the story I have sounds better.

skip

« Reply #594 on: September 20, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
hi does anyone have any idea about any upcoming drill squads for the few in the cab rank?
and any info from the few that are in this drill squad would be a great help

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
Hey Ferret.... I've heard there is going to be a drill squad in February.  Do you know if there is any truth to this?

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 23, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »
Hey Ferret.... I've heard there is going to be a drill squad in February.  Do you know if there is any truth to this?

Is this info from people being notified for pat2 or from someone in the service triple j?

Monger

« Reply #597 on: September 23, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »

Havnt heard much except that they were unsure about if there was gonna be another squad. But i must stress that this is just gossip

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
JLS.. this is just second hand information, so I take it with a pinch of salt. Are you still in the running?

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 23, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »
Yeah triple j just playing the waiting game with a few others on this forum. I have heard a number of different versions as well what might or might not be happening in the next year.

anything