Author Topic: A guide for prospective volunteers  (Read 7277 times)

rescue5271

A guide for prospective volunteers
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »
Just reading the guide for prospective volunteers booklet that is being handed out for recruitment has anyone seen or read it?? what do you think?? Few things stand out, (1) the photos are old and out dated (2) why highlight the section WOMEN OF THE CFS?? are we all not a team and dont we get representation from the SAVFBA does not matter if we are male or female???

Dont get me wrong I fully support females in the service but what would happen if we would have a MEN OF THE CFS???

misterteddy

Re: A guide for prospective volunteers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
affirmative action policy of the Government Bill, it won't go away

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
I haven't seen it, but in highlighting women of the CFS, (in part I hope, not all)it might have a bit to do with targeting a particular group.

If you send out a brochure / info about becoming a volunteer firefighter, most people will automatically think male.  Those males within the community who develop an interest in CFS, may well join.

Many of the women would look at a brochure about becoming a volunteer firefighter, and automatically think that is something to encourage their husband / boyfriend to do.

By having a section about women, it may encourage some to join - who perhaps wouldn't automatically think of becoming a firefighter.

However, when preparing such literature, you need to be careful not to go over the top in encouraging women, and ignoring the men.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »
our brigade just did a week of solid recruiting at the local shopping centre,, i believe we got 2-3 dozen names of interested people and are now holding an information night for those this coming week,, i think if we can get 2-3 (hopefully alot more than that) good members out of this we will have done well
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
Good work!!

A nearby brigade, on the outer fringe of the metro area did a letter drop to their surrounding area - around 7000 or so I think.....had a few info nights with the people who expressed an interest, and ended up with around 14 new members, which I think they still have some 12 months later......

My own district is quite small (only around 500 people), no shops / pubs etc to target, and surrounded closely by other brigades (so no poaching of members!) so we keep an eye out when properties change hands, go and visit with a few members, welcome them to the district, tell them about the CFS - in terms of we can assist with burn offs, what the siren means etc, make sure they are thinking about what they are going to do should a fire threaten their property, and also invite them to join the brigade at whatever time they decide....

We make that we take some females, males, and if their are teenagers etc at the house, we also try & take a cadet, to show that we have a range of members...

The personal approach has worked very well for us - and research from Dr Judy Esmond in WA has shown that the reason most people joined a volunteer group CFS was because someone asked them......not because of brochures, flashy TV ads etc (although I believe brochures and other publicity certainly have their place).

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
why highlight the section WOMEN OF THE CFS??

The Ratio of women to men in the service is about 1000 men to 1 woman* and to be honest there isnt a difference weve got two in our brigade and theyre exactly the same as the men they do exactly the same things

* from safecoms equality in the workplace module
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:16:30 PM by 485298 »
hahahaha that 24 is a classic.....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »

The Ratio of women to men in the service is about 1000 men to 1 woman* and to be honest there isnt a difference weve got two in our brigade and theyre exactly the same as the men they do exactly the same things

Uh... are you suggesting that there are only around 18 - 20 women in the SES/CFS/MFS combined? Or in the "service" being just the CFS?

Your numbers are WAY WAY off...

To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »

Uh... are you suggesting that there are only around 18 - 20 women in the SES/CFS/MFS combined? Or in the "service" being just the CFS?

yes i miss communicated what i mean by 'service' by that i mean CFS there isnt that many femals in the CFS only going by what ive been told but that was back in april numbers may have changed  since then  :?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:42:25 PM »

yes i miss communicated what i mean by 'service' by that i mean CFS there isnt that many femals in the CFS only going by what ive been told but that was back in april numbers may have changed  since then  :?

Hah, those figures are miles off. There were two in my old brigade and theres three in my current one. Looks like i know 5 of the 16 personally then?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »
i know another 3 soon to be 5  :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
My brigade has 9 female firefighters..... plus two ops support.....

pumprescue

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
The first line should read "DON'T JOIN THE CFS UNLESS YOU HAVE A MENTAL DISEASE"

If people still insist on joining you can always say later  "Hah, we told you so now don't blame us that you are now bald, gray and frustrated"

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

Hah, those figures are miles off. There were two in my old brigade and theres three in my current one. Looks like i know 5 of the 16 personally then?

only going on what i was told....... yet again told one thing when its actually miles off fantastic good wor safecom!

misterteddy

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
... fantastic good wor safecom!

I think we all agree these words are mutually exclusive

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
... fantastic good wor safecom!

I think we all agree these words are mutually exclusive

Lol.. new keyboard spell was um a bit of a mess i believe the word i was looking for would of been Work

anything