Author Topic: crew bag's  (Read 4890 times)

rescue5271

crew bag's
« on: September 24, 2005, 07:56:14 AM »
i have been reading in a few fire service papers that other state fire services are giving all members(volunteers) crew bags and hats so as store all there PPE/PPC when out and about or when on a strike team. What a great idea wounder if CFS will follow and gives us something rather than we all buy our own....

corocfs

Re: crew bag's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 11:01:46 PM »
doubtfull... as they seem to have a hard enough time making sure everyone has essentials

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:14:24 PM »
wouldn't be a bad idea to have them... even just a set of 5 for the station.... (Or however many people are likely to go on strike teams...)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:49:42 AM »
I know a number of other services ask their people to have their own bag prepared - just in case. I am also aware of a number of CFS people/crews (including myself) who have a small bag in the car over summer that carries a few extra items, for those long extended jobs, out of area jobs or that will get me by for two days on a strike team (ie spare jocks & socks, hat, tooth brush/paste, soap, deodorant and a change of clothes (shorts, tea shirt and jumper - and of course pack of cards :lol:)

Maybe if CFS suggested this to members - ie provide them with the PPE and other necessary items and then ask the member to be a little prepared, should things go pear shaped - as they often do - the old story - your only going for 4 - 6 hours and 16 later your leaving the fire ground.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Wagon 1

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 04:31:07 AM »
Just as an aside, did anyone see the article in the volunteer a while back about the crew bags stowed in the back deck of a 24/34 that caught fire at a job. Just be careful guys and gals. I have a few bits and pieces ready to go, but my station rarely gets invited on strike teams so I am not prepared as some. But that might change!!

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »
Normally if required for Strike Team crew, there is usually a couple of minutes where you can throw something together...

However the bag in the car idea isn't such a bad thought.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »
The crew bag i have in my car is those ones that are being advertised in the Volunteer Magazine... my fire uniform bag stays in the car 24/7 so in the event of me being first on scene of an accident or fire i am able to suit up while waiting for CFS crews to arrive rather than get my backside kicked by the Group Officer or Deputy Group Officer for not wearing full CFS PPE
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:51:26 PM »
we are looking to provide all new recruits (especially) and other group members with a kit bag...it's all part of keeping PPC in the right place etc.

I have a bag (lovingly known as my "body bag") which lives behind the seat in my ute...I am most often called away during the day and from work...wouldn't be without it..has my complete PPC plus under clothes, spare gloves etc (for those crew who can't find theirs)

You can factor it into your group budgets and purchases of PPC.. :-)

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 03:15:26 PM »
HAH if ur group would bother with that kind of thing, or hasnt already overspent lol.

i have a kit bag in my car boot, that i bought from FARA a couple of years ago, it has a complete set of NOMEX plus some boots from home, plus gloves/dust mask/goggles/protective glasses/nitrile gloves/etc etc...

the bag also carries my empty camekback (1.5L) a bottle of water, sunscreen, towel and spare clothes...

basically has everything i need except for a helmet, and i have it in my car all year round shud i need it for some reason.

Wagon 1

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 05:40:11 PM »
I bought one from Glynn Williams Upholstery, it was advertised in the Volunteer mag. I am very happy with it, its got loads of room in it, and a compartment to keep your boots seperate from your turnout gear. Its made from canvas to so it takes some abuse.

Worth a look I think.

anything