Author Topic: Volunteer Mag  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Volunteer Mag
« on: September 28, 2005, 12:40:48 PM »
From SACFS

The September 2005 Volunteer Magazine is now available from the CFS Website.

Hard copy distribution will occur over the next week.

To locate the magazine visit www.cfs.org.au and look for the magazine under About Us / Publications.

The next edition of Volunteer will be released in December.

If you would like to submit an article please email it with photographs to [email protected] (digital photos must be a minimum 600X600dpi)

Hard copy submissions are also accepted and can be made to The Editor, CFS Public Affairs. GPO Box 2468, Adelaide SA 5001.

Submissions required by Monday 17th October.

rescue5271

Re: Volunteer Mag
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:07:15 AM »
Well done to the media unit and those that have filled it with great articles,this is the best mag I have read in a long time fully of information that we would not hear or read about. Lets hope the next one is just as good...

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:00:07 PM »
just as good... but more timely.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 06:28:42 PM »
The media dept. had it ready in time but they where stuffed around in a big way by third parties.

The media dept. do a very good job. :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 01:11:44 PM »
With summer now almost here the Volunteer is looking for storys and pictures of what CFS crew's do at this busy time so if you go to something large or small do a story on it and send it into the media unit. Also if your brigade is having a training session or you would like someone to cover an event there are volunteer members of the CFS PROMO unit who are willing and able to come along and take photos.

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 06:04:11 PM »
Re: September Voulunteer Magazine.

I must say I was a little dissapointed with a couple of sections in the latest Volunteer mag.

Firstly, the section on PBI Gold told me little that I didn't already know, but quite delicately dodged one of the BIGGEST questions on this forum and indeed one that is going around at the moment. When can and when can't we as firefighters use this PPE garment.

Secondly, I am going to go out on bit of a limb here for further criticism, but it is just me or does it seem that it is the same brigades/groups featuring highly in the regional round-up? My brigade on numerous occasions for the last 12 months we have been sending in excellent photos and incident write-ups of house-fires, MVA's etc, etc, even some very unique photos  of uncommon incidents, yet we have failed to feature once!
I am not sure what the criteria for selection is, but surely all effort could be made to share the material placed in this section between all groups and brigades from each region.
Note: I am not saying that all effort is not already placed on sharing the regional-round up section - it is just a common perception I am getting looking back over recent isssues.

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:06:00 PM »
Re: September Voulunteer Magazine.

I must say I was a little dissapointed with a couple of sections in the latest Volunteer mag.

Firstly, the section on PBI Gold told me little that I didn't already know, but quite delicately dodged one of the BIGGEST questions on this forum and indeed one that is going around at the moment. When can and when can't we as firefighters use this PPE garment.

Secondly, I am going to go out on bit of a limb here for further criticism, but it is just me or does it seem that it is the same brigades/groups featuring highly in the regional round-up? My brigade on numerous occasions for the last 12 months we have been sending in excellent photos and incident write-ups of house-fires, MVA's etc, etc, even some very unique photos  of uncommon incidents, yet we have failed to feature once!
I am not sure what the criteria for selection is, but surely all effort could be made to share the material placed in this section between all groups and brigades from each region.
Note: I am not saying that all effort is not already placed on sharing the regional-round up section - it is just a common perception I am getting looking back over recent isssues.

Secondly, I am going to go out on bit of a limb here for further criticism, but it is just me or does it seem that it is the same brigades/groups featuring highly in the regional round-up?

Agrees...

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 07:08:24 PM »
Our brigade had the same problem,but know I am able to supply storys to the volunteer and they get in . I would say if your having these problems contact the media unit and have a chat to them .. Other wise you could do the story and submite it throu the cfspromo unit along with a few photos....

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:34:16 PM »
Have You Received A Response Back From Them As Of Yet?

Offline ksj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 07:03:43 PM »
Hi CFS_Fire32, Rescue5271 and others,

I’m sorry to hear that a few of you are disappointed with Volunteer mag.

In producing Volunteer we use submissions from volunteers and brigades whenever possible, particularly if they are unusual or uncommon.

In fact, it’s great when stories are submitted. That’s why we post messages on this website (see first message on this thread), on the promotions unit site and the yahoo chat group asking for submissions. The front of every magazine also provides contact details to submit stories.

All I can think of is that the stories / photos etc are not getting to me as editor for whatever reason, which is disappointing.

Some brigades send in stories for every edition, which would be why they have an ongoing presence.

Feel free to give me a call on the media line or email me at [email protected] if you've got a concern about material not being received.

Also - the December edition of Volunteer has gone to the printers and will be out in hard copy before Christmas and available on the CFS website this week. I'll put a post on this site when it's available.

Krista

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:48:54 AM »
Krista,the mag is great I think the problem is that storys are getting sent in and not going into the mag??? and some people are alittle upset with this that it is the same old brigades. i would say to these people if ya send in a story with pictures and it does not get into the mag call the media unit. These guys do a great job and are always on the hunt for storys and pictures......

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 06:11:16 PM »
Krista, thankyou for your prompt reply.

What is the best means to get pictures and incident write-ups into you and the Volunteer editors in order to guarantee they end up in the right place?

Offline ksj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 08:06:50 AM »
Details for submission are at the top of this thread, however I've posted them again below.

If you would like to submit an article please email it with photographs to [email protected] (digital photos must be a minimum 600X600dpi)

Hard copy submissions are also accepted and can be made to The Editor, CFS Public Affairs. GPO Box 2468, Adelaide SA 5001

The next magazine will be distributed in March 2006, with submissions required by the end of January.

Smiles
Krista

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 08:15:05 AM »
:) will be sending some stuff in in the next few days (assuming all goes well~!)
Look forward to getting the next issue.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 10:45:38 AM »
Wasn't a huge fan of the colors used in the last Volunteer Magazine, however have just looked at the new one on the CFS web page ........ fantastic.  :-D

It is very impressive, looks like a fire service publication, has some sensational stories and great content. :lol:

Well done to the Media Team - Krista, Brenton, Matt and Lisa - great magazine. :-D

Well done and can't wait to add the printed on to the collection  :wink:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline ksj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
March 2006 Volunteer magazine
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 02:41:07 PM »
Send us your stories for Volunteer magazine!

The next edition of Volunteer is scheduled for distribution at the end of March.

If you have any stories for the magazine or photos to submit for the photo competition send them to CFS Public Affairs by no later than 27 January.

Submissions can be made via

Email to [email protected].

Mail to the Editor, CFS Public Affairs. GPO Box 2468, Adelaide SA 5001.

Photographs help 'make' stories so ensure you include them,(digital photos must be a minimum 600X600dpi)

Any photos can be returned, however please ensure you include your full name, address, phone number and brigade to assist us.

We look forward to receiving submissions!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 03:04:44 PM »
Thanks for reminding me Krista...... have to get onto that!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 04:20:24 PM »
Howdy reading back on this thread it mentioned a volunteer coming out in march, i didn't get one nor heard of anyone getting one, has it come out yet??? or to be released soon?? Anyone with any info???
Lt. Goolwa CFS

PF_

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »
Went to Region2 HQ the other day and it isnt there so probably not out yet.

Offline ksj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
Volunteer mag is going to the printers this week and will be distributed as quickly as possible from there.

It will go onto the CFS website as soon as the artwork is finalised, so you can have a preview before the hard copy arrives.

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 07:37:51 AM »
Kepp up the good work Krista,and would like to see some other brigade's write a story or two so as to go into the Volunteer. Its a good way to promote your brigade and what they do for the community...

Offline ksj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »
The latest version of Volunteer magazine is now available from the CFS website.

Visit www.cfs.org.au and look under About Us > Publications.

It will be distributed as soon as possible.

Submissions for the next edition are due in early July.

Offline ksj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Volunteer Magazine Survey
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
Volunteer magazine has changed over the past few years and we'd like to find out what CFS volunteers think of the publication.

The May edition of Volunteer magazine contains a 'tell us what you think survey' where you can give feedback on the content, look and feel, and other aspects of the magazine.

The survey is attached here. If you get it back to us by 19 June you will go into the draw to win a $250 SA short holiday voucher.

Don't forget to check out the latest edition on the CFS website (or wait til your hard copy arrives) before completing the survey.

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 05:49:52 PM »
Well done to the media unit and all that have sent in some very good story's the May 2006 Volunteer is full of color and my hat goes off to the team. The wait was worth it and my 3 year old son will not give me the Mag to fully read yet as he just love's it,can't wait till the next one...Well done guys and dolls...

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »
Would Be Good But I Didn't Receive This Issue Of The Vol???