Author Topic: Early start to Fire Season  (Read 3566 times)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Early start to Fire Season
« on: October 07, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »
It appears that the eastern states are already busy, with numerous fires across New South Wales http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/dsp_more_info_latest.cfm?CON_ID=2331
Likewise in Queensland http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/news/view.asp?id=1148

Already we are seeing predictions for weather experts about another dry and long summer.

How is your brigade going for it's summer preperations.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Early start to Fire Season
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 07:49:36 PM »
Basically oz fire the Kalangadoo brigade hasnt done any actual preparations as fire season is normally the 2nd quietest time of year for Kalangadoo CFS if theres not many fire calls but when it does get busy my brigade is always flatout responding to fires

The reason for this is because Kalangadoo brigade has a large response area and is always a first response brigade should a fire occur in grassland on farming properties in or around Kalangadoo township and we also get called to assist Forestry SA with fire supression in forest plantations

While the other Kalangadoo brigade volunteers have been going about their daily routines such as work and not worrying about the upcoming 2005/2006 fire season i undertook a Emergency Response Warden's certificate course up in Adelaide during September to further my currentfire fighting training and learn something new

This week coming i am going for a chainsaw ticket through LITA recruitment services so Kalangadoo CFS can be given a chainsaw to use  for storm damage incidents and cutting fallen trees off of roads even though im the only one who will be allowed to use it the other brigade members will be asking me where i got my ticket from
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 02:09:56 PM »
With the chainsaw training - I believe in the past some prior training has been recognised by CFS and put in the system. So if you have members in the Brigade with a qualification they can forward it to State Training Centre to see if it meets their stringent requirements.

We're as busy now as we are normally as the lions's share of our work is motor vehicle related and this is the weather for it!
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »
With the chainsaw training - I believe in the past some prior training has been recognised by CFS and put in the system. So if you have members in the Brigade with a qualification they can forward it to State Training Centre to see if it meets their stringent requirements.

We're as busy now as we are normally as the lions's share of our work is motor vehicle related and this is the weather for it!

see if it meets their stringent requirements.

hehehe... Almost an oxy-moron..   :lol:

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 10:48:19 PM »
Basically oz fire the Kalangadoo brigade hasnt done any actual preparations as fire season is normally the 2nd quietest time of year for Kalangadoo CFS if theres not many fire calls but when it does get busy my brigade is always flatout responding to fires

The reason for this is because Kalangadoo brigade has a large response area and is always a first response brigade should a fire occur in grassland on farming properties in or around Kalangadoo township and we also get called to assist Forestry SA with fire supression in forest plantations

While the other Kalangadoo brigade volunteers have been going about their daily routines such as work and not worrying about the upcoming 2005/2006 fire season i undertook a Emergency Response Warden's certificate course up in Adelaide during September to further my currentfire fighting training and learn something new

This week coming i am going for a chainsaw ticket through LITA recruitment services so Kalangadoo CFS can be given a chainsaw to useĀ  for storm damage incidents and cutting fallen trees off of roads even though im the only one who will be allowed to use it the other brigade members will be asking me where i got my ticket from

With the 4 jobs you guys did last year and total of 30 hours all combined... I can see why you would say "quiet" time...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:39:56 AM »
That's very true strikeathird we only had 4 callouts last fire season and one of them caught me off guard completely as i had just got home from a busy day putting up fences in Canunda National Park with Green Corps and was just about to take a can of coke out of the fridge when my pager sounded

We could had more callouts had of we've been called to Comaum where that forest fire was or dispatched to help out at Padthaway with their bushfire
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 06:28:50 AM »
hey Robert I have been the only person in region five to put my hand up 3 years in a row to do a chainsaw course and it was cancelled \. I think I may aswell pay for it myself as you never hear of anyother region running this course and I would like to do it....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:33:18 AM »
All you have to do rescue5271 is give LITA Recruitment Services a call at their training office in Mount Gambier and find out when the next 2 day chainsaw course is being held

If you read this reply sometime early this afternoon around about about lunch time or 1:00pm you might be lucky enough to get into the chainsaw course which is being held Wednesday & Thursday     

Here are the details for this weeks chainsaw course

Dates of course: 12-13/10/2005
Time: 8:30 am-4:00pm
Cost: $200.00
Contact number:87 35 14 74

I'm not saying that you wont get into the 2 day chainsaw course being held this week rescue5271 but if you're unsuccessful just ask them when the next course is being held and they will put you own on the list   

Ok $200.00 may sound like a fair bit of money just to get a ticket but if i am going to get my brigade issued with a chainsaw this is the only to do it
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »
Four calls where you made a difference is worth 400 stop calls :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 04:34:44 PM »
There was a course in R1 a few weeks back... Think they were looking for people up until the last minute....   :?

anything