Author Topic: Training Course Nominations  (Read 11672 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Training Course Nominations
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
 I have noticed recently regular pager messages searching for people to fill Training courses. This can be as low as 1 or 2 attendees or as high as 8. Are we as CFS volunteers making a rod for our own back by not filling these training courses to maximum. The point i am trying to make is we are extremely underfunded in training yet when it comes to the crunch where are we?? Is this just particular courses that are not as popular? Or is the % of volunteer's that actually are committed to CFS training dropping of? (ie they have completed all the training courses)

Anyone with any thoughts??

Offline vsteve01

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Training Course Nominations
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
The rumblings I hear around our group is people aren't willing to loose their whole weekend.

That and maybe the lack of summer calls, some may have lost some interest (temporarily hopefully).

Also when they are screaming out for numbers is that coz a bunch of people pulled out last minute, or are they not asking neighbouring groups at all or early enough to fill the spots.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
Dunno mate, been waiting a long time for several courses myself and never get offered them. Also unfortunately i am not in one of these brigades or groups that sends out messages offering course positions.

Perhaps too many of the wrong kind of courses are being run.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
Dunno mate, been waiting a long time for several courses myself and never get offered them. Also unfortunately i am not in one of these brigades or groups that sends out messages offering course positions.

what in Particular are u waiting on Alex??

Offline OldOne

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »

Well all the courses are listed on the CFS WEB site   http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/training/courses.jsp    take your pick and submit your nominations as SES members are also nominating to help fill some courses.   I have just completed the first of the AIIMS courses at CFS STC last week.

OldOne.

SES Communications trainer

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »

CFBT, chainsaw refresher, tactical command/leadership.

Can you nominate direct from the members login on the cfs site.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:15:04 PM by Alex »

Offline wombat34

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
You cannot nominate from the website, you need to go throught the chain of command i.e. BTC, GTC, RTO. From experice of preforming all of these role at times that any breakdown in communication will result in people missing out on oppertunities. I know I have certainly asked down the chain for nominations for the courses you are after Alex without any luck. Use the website to find spaces and then hammer your BTC, GTC to get your nomination to region. Your nomination should appear in your members profile once it reaches Region, even if you are not allocated to a course i.e. Pending. Also if you do get on a course and things change let the region/STC know straight away to allow more time to refill the place.
A Wombat eats roots, shoots and leaves

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »
You cannot nominate from the website, you need to go throught the chain of command i.e. BTC, GTC, RTO. From experice of preforming all of these role at times that any breakdown in communication will result in people missing out on oppertunities.

Ahhh i can see this being my problem then...

I know I have certainly asked down the chain for nominations for the courses you are after Alex without any luck.

I did notice there was a vacany for a CFBT and some other courses i know personell in our brigade are interested in.. Dissapointing this information is not making it all the way to FF rank down our way then.

Your nomination should appear in your members profile once it reaches Region, even if you are not allocated to a course i.e. Pending.

Well... nothing showing, but nice to know it will if i do get a nomination through. Thanks Mate.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »
You cannot nominate from the website, you need to go throught the chain of command i.e. BTC, GTC, RTO. From experice of preforming all of these role at times that any breakdown in communication will result in people missing out on oppertunities. I know I have certainly asked down the chain for nominations for the courses you are after Alex without any luck. Use the website to find spaces and then hammer your BTC, GTC to get your nomination to region. Your nomination should appear in your members profile once it reaches Region, even if you are not allocated to a course i.e. Pending. Also if you do get on a course and things change let the region/STC know straight away to allow more time to refill the place.

Pffft......Mate, what would you know anyway!!!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline wombat34

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
 :-P :-D

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
Well, have had my chainsaw reaccred nomination in for ages, but after still hearing nothing and seeing another group paging about vacancies in one, i got onto the GTO and got on the course.

Seems the chain of command needs to be bypassed at times.

Offline wombat34

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
Or the weak link brought to account, or get someone else into the role who will do it :roll:

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
AGM election year next month... ;)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
Careful what you wish for!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
MDWS INFO: 1 spot on BA course 27th July... I need to know tonight at training if there is anyone interested before I release the spot to group. MDWSTC. - CFS Meadows Info

This sort of thing interests me also... and Wombat you may be able to clarify.

Surely if the person allocated the spot cannot make the course, region should be told so and the next person on the regional or state list should be offered. Surely brigades can't just give the spots to whoever they want??

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
This has been going on for years, If you can't make it the next person in your brigade gets a kick.
Ring up the day before saying i can't  make it but another member can. This is easy, they don't have to ring around others to fill a spot. Some brigades just nominate anyone and then the put others on the course.
Is this correct thing to do? Not sure, but the spot is filled.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »
tft - much better than an empty spot left on the course

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
Yes

pumprescue

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
It may also be that the brigade in question has to raise their numbers to meet SFEC, so if that member is not able to go on the course they get another member from that brigade to fill it.

Offline wombat34

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »
With your BA Q Alex, I would suggest the Brigade had the spot due to being below min SFEC so it is usual for Brigades to fill the spot with one of their own if the nominated person cannot attend. I know I did this back in my BTC  and GTC days with all courses. The Regions don't mind as long as if the Brigade can't fill it themselves that they let STC know ASAP so there is not a mad scramble to fill the spot just days out. I know the last BA course ran full but there were 10 changes of nominations in the week leading upto it, which meant a lot of work by staff and vollies to make sure it did run full.

anything