Author Topic: The State Logo  (Read 8860 times)

MATTE

The State Logo
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:58:17 PM »
IS CRAP...

Do u guys blame me!!! It had to be said, no offence to any of the production team for the new logo but its crap, utter crap... i have never seen a fire service logo soo crap. Its the black sheep of fire service logos.nobody likes it. Any Opposition.......... I dont really give a toss, because chances are those individuals who like it are employed by Yellow cabs and/or are blind and couldnt care less about professionalism and tradition behind the cfs star. Does the state logo have meaning.... No Does it look good.......No Do the people who have bear it (Us) like it.... i think the general concescus is no... no no no.

There goes my frustration....Do you Blame Me?

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Re: The State Logo
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 03:52:31 PM »
Well, I thought I was passionate about this issue  :wink:

I would like to respect the views of those (weirdos) that do support the "corporate" logo - I just haven't found one yet. LOL
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Wagon 1

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 09:24:32 AM »
Well it was designed by one of us, I beleive it was Gary McRae from Aldgate CFS, they ran a comp a few years back when Army Boy was running the show (Stuart Ellis) and now we are stuck with the thing.

What gets me, is no one likes it but they still insist on using it.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:57:09 AM »
I would have thought there would have been guide lines to the design like where are there 8 points on the taxi logo to put our values.

MATTE

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 10:06:29 AM »
Its Ridiculous, the corporate/state logo does not represent us or the values of our fire service. Values = Morale... and theres not much morale in the service as a whole.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 11:56:30 AM »
How many on this list actually saw the competition nomination form......not me!!
Adam

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:58:29 AM »
I never heard about it....

only found out about the new logo when i rocked up to the station and our GO was there with a heat gun stripping the old ones off and putting on the crap ones...

strikeathird

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 05:05:20 PM »
I agree, I hate the State logo, think it should be the STAR !

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:28:44 PM »
Interesting...

I thought the comp was run through the VFBA and if so (in the climate of the time) no wonder noone saw it.

As an active VFBA committee person at the time I only heard of it after it had been decided.

Stuart Ellis was a long time supporter of the star which he personally preferred. He said to me at the time that the new logo was what the "vollies" (which I took to mean VFBA) wanted.

Maybe someone may remember what really happened??

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 09:09:35 AM »
The comp was run by the VFBA and CFS combined. There was a push (and not from Stuart Ellis) for a stand alone CFS identity - like white trucks and yellow PPE and pond slime green uniforms aren't enough.

I'm not sure who won the comp (David you may be right with Gary), however the new logo was adopted after being signed off by VFBA, I believe consultations with the Region and then into HQ!

I guess, if there are enough people who are pationate about the ..... taxi logo, then a stand needs to be made, opinion cast and letters written - the old story winging gets you no where - you need to put up or shut up!!!!

That said, I know from speaking to the chief, he likes tradition and i believe the star and it's values (after all he appears to be a values and traditional man with his emphasis on our safety and watchouts, values etc)

Maybe if your that passionate about the star and your hatred for the yellow cabs logo, then work out a way to build support!

Maybe also a suggestion that all staff wear it on their uniforms to - to keep in line with the branding of their employer etc :evil: (whoops - forgot most staff hate the yellow cabs logo too)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 10:02:11 AM »
Why don't we start by everyone on this forum going to their brigades and changing their helmet stickers, there would have to be at least 50 or 60 brigades on here. What are they gonna do sack us.
This forum could actually be quite a strong force of people if we all had the same opinion. :wink:

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »
Can't help you there - our Brigade has never put the taxi logo on anything including the appliances (although "P" came with the yellow cab thing, so that has one).

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »
Why don't we start by everyone on this forum going to their brigades and changing their helmet stickers, there would have to be at least 50 or 60 brigades on here. What are they gonna do sack us.
This forum could actually be quite a strong force of people if we all had the same opinion. :wink:

HAHAHAHA.. yeh if u can find a supplier that will get/sell the stickers to you

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 04:03:10 PM »
We just cut them out of the volunteer stickers

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »
We just cut them out of the volunteer stickers

Yeah, if you can manage to still get your hands on some!

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 05:19:47 PM »
they all have taxi logo too now tho mate

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 05:26:35 PM »
A rebellion will not work.

But a well thought out, well supported & constructive case may have some effect.
I suggest seeing what the VFBA has to say and seeing if they are willing to pursue it. We would need to establish that the majority of CFS volunteers wanted a change in the policy not just a vocal few.

I am very confused at the policy that disallows the use of the Star for Volunteers but allows it for staff in a majority volunteer organisation. :? I understand some of the thinking behind the logo such as community recognition etc etc But one in all in!

My vote is for the Star. We could help run a VFBA supported petition if someone felt strongly enough to get the ball rolling.

Wagon 1

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 05:26:56 PM »
Yeah we cut them out the old volunteer stickers that we used to put on our cars, the only reason is that at some stage we ended up with a massive bag of stickers.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 07:40:56 AM »
I remember putting a stash of the old stickers somewhere just in case it ever got to this point....... If only i could remember where it was!!!

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 07:59:07 AM »
The state VFBA is coming up this month 23rd octtober at region 1 h/q someone could go along and have a say on it,but is it not too late??

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »
A rebellion will not work.
But a well thought out, well supported & constructive case may have some effect.

Oh, killjoy, a rebellion is so much more fun :-)

Sage words, maybe the climate is right for such a campaign now. A well thought our, well supportive and constructive case fell on deaf ears at the time! Mainly though because we were PROMISED that the star was still the go for uniforms, appliances, stations etc and that the corporate thing was for letterheads etc.

Later it snuck on to the appliances etc.

But why now are they enforcing it's use on things we've had control over up until now (like helmets - we've been able to buy star helmet stickers in the small or large size and shirts)??

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
The State Logo
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 12:05:01 PM »
Gary McCrae did indeed design the logo that we all hate so much, but the problem is that he the only entrant in the competition so of course it was going to win the problem with the whole situation is that it was shown that everyone in the state loves the star because it means something to us all, the taxi logo mean nothing its a picture of SA with CFS on it, be like many brigades and refuse to change leave the star on our appliances and helmets and show the beaurecrats that we can't be told to give up a tradition.
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
I think the reason they created the corporate logo was to have something more recognizable as SACFS (So many logo's are based on the star)... as far as that reasoning goes, I'm happy for them to come up with a new logo.. Maybe paste a nice Yellow ring around the star?...

It says in the BFF1 manual that the taxi logo is "based on a design by a CFS volunteer" For all we know, Gary may have submitted the CFS star with red and yellow striping around it...

oh, and for the record, I think the taxi logo is crap ;)

Offline jameswillcourt

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 09:07:31 PM »
I agree when i see this new logo i dont get the same feeling of respect and power i got from the old logo and this new one looks like an 8 year old drew it up in their spare time