Author Topic: Beared BA wearers  (Read 7554 times)

pumprescue

Beared BA wearers
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
I have witnessed recently some rather lax control on BA wearers having full beards...was told that "nah mate she's right, its positive pressure so she'll just blow out if it can't seal properly" In fact some wearers had full Ned Kelly beards!

A) how do you deal with these clowns

B) I know some people on here are from groups and brigades that have these members...how do you deal with it and more importantly why aren't you dealing with it!!

CFS has a very strict policy on beards and BA, so why is this allowed to happen...do Group Officers and Captains just not care, or is it a case of she'll be right, we are only volunteers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:39:58 PM by pumprescue »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Beared BA wearers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »
Same goes for wearing BA and NO PBI.
Images are copyright

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:21:33 PM »
I have recently seen it, stopped it and am dealing with it!.....and yeh, I reckon I care!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

pumprescue

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
Good work Jaff, now that's one down....but no seriously good to hear, what interesting excuses did they come up with ?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
Unless something has changed very recently, BA can be worn with Nomex under certain circumstances.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

pumprescue

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
But you would be foolish to wear the lesser protection...

misterteddy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
BA with Nomex and a Level 3 liner is more than fine for an external attack, or a car fire...if its all u got, then its all u got. When you're gears still away being cleaned after the last job.....you gots to wear something

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:58 AM »
Or is pump trying to say misterteddy should not be able to do BA work??  :-D

"BearedBA wearers"
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

pumprescue

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
I shouldn't use an iPhone to have a rant....damn autocorrect

Offline BundyBear

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Having facial hair is against CFS policy and also falls short of Australian Standard AS/NZ 1715:2009 Selection and use of respiratory protective equipment.

Which clearly states the complete sealing section of the mask should be in contact with the wearers skin. All of this is considered with beards, moustaches, sideburns, stubble growth or long hair and other factors such as jewelery.

In regards to our turnout gear rural gear needs to meet AS/NZ 4824:2006 and Structural gear needs to meet AS/NZ 4967:2006.

You can wear rural gear for car fires and externally at structure fires. The older Nomex level 3 gear with the liner use to be our standard for internal fire fighting at structures fire can only be worn externally at structure fire now days as I got told it does not meet the standard by CFS.

anything