Author Topic: Deployment Uniforms  (Read 6914 times)

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Deployment Uniforms
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:54:56 PM »
Ever since I went to Sydney in 2001, they have been trying to determine and issue a uniform for vollies to wear whilst travelling for deployments.

I remember thinking how inappropriate it was that some were wearing their yellows on the plane..over and what's worse BACK after a week of firefighting.

They can't seem to get past the colour issue...green, blue, taupe...I suppose it will take another deployment before they really do something...or arrange another committee to procrastinate about it.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Deployment Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 03:01:43 PM »
There was and probally still is acomittee looking at all of this. I was informed by Region, that it was headed by RC3 and had vollies, staff and VFBA representation.

I belive the chair, who from memory many years ago at Brukunga (and also the 94 NSW deployment)was a stickler for uniform so it's no wonder we are loosing the star and going for the taxi logo to support the cfs shop - hang on a minute - will staff then wear the taxi logo on their uniforms -of course they will there wouldn't be double standards now!

As for a deployment uniform, we wer at one stage handed green t-shirts when we went ot NSW and informed we were to wear those - although I haven't seen to many handed out following those deployments - maybe the hat will surfice :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 03:18:04 PM »
i always thought the people wearing there yellows onto the plane looked like d/heads when there was news coverage, and its gotta be damm uncomfortable.

im pretty sure almost everyone in the cfs has at some stage been either given a shirt or gone out and bought one, just where soemthign that identifies you as a part of the CFS...

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »
I have to admit, wearing them on the plane is a little stupid..!

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 06:07:55 PM »
a little stupid??? lol

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 09:12:54 AM »
Yes, wearing them on the plane is stupid but you would have been shocked at how many did ..and like I said..wore them home again..NICE after 6 days of firefighting..NOT>...I suppose some people don't get out much..LOL

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Not sure on the progress of the volly deployment uniform but be prepared to see some Regional staff wearing the new 'field uniform'. I know some are wearing it now.
Adam

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 02:53:01 PM »
what is the "field uniform"?  you obviously know more than most of us..what colour is it?? :?

Wagon 1

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 05:28:59 PM »
Apparently it looks like the SAPOL staries uniform but it's bottle green.

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 08:04:55 AM »
Hey its hard enough trying to get a dress uniform and the cost is to costly for Volunteers the only way to get one free is to wait till someone leaves the service and you get the old one . This uniform thing has been going on far to long, time someone made up there mind and gave US all a chance to get one free or buy one at a reduced rate.

as for yellow on the plane well what else would they like us to wear we all have different brigade T shirts or polo tops....

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 02:36:47 PM »
Hey - we were told before we left we had to wear at least the pants!!
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 09:02:59 PM »
why do we as vollies need dress uniform... thats a bit of a wank i think.

as for yellows on planes - my thoughts are just too wear whatever is comfortable, it is both uncomfortable for vollies to wear the yellows for long flights (or short flights) and unreasonable to expect Qantas, jetstar, whoever to allow it on the plane... ESPECIALLY AFTER THE FIRE... ROFLMAO

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 06:36:02 PM »
The first crews that drove over to NSW in 1994 were flown home to HUGE media attention. (You may remember the monitors showering the plane).

These firies had their yellows dry cleaned at the motel and were required (ie: compulsory) to wear the gear for the flight. I guess the imapct would not have been as great if a group of bods in trackies and tees disembarked? Maybe the kind of situation where a practical, ecomnomical, comfortable dress type uniform could be worn??

And as for the toss factor on the dress uniform - maybe, but if you have cause to represent the service on official duties or functions (particularly involving the public) it is very handy to have something to wear that identifies you(in the kind of situations where yellow would look pretty tossy - perhaps visiting a business for risk and response planning, etc).
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 08:56:18 PM »
During my 9 1/2 - 10 years service with the SA Country Fire Service i missed out twice being deployed to fight fires in NSW&VIC because the fire fighters from Wattle Range Division who had been there and done that before got first preference   

Still i think that deployment uniforms are a good idea for South Australian fire fighters who respond to fires interstate as every state fire service wears the same yellow overalls so by having deployment overalls of a different colour would prevent confusion
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 08:09:43 AM »
I wasn't on any first deployments, but do remember being asked to have a clean set of gear to return in. The motels/hotels we stayed in all offered laundering services so that we wernt wearing stinky, smelly uniforms on the plane, or look dirty for any cameras that may have been there!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 02:04:06 PM »
I agree with us all looking the same and also the effect on having a sea of yellow getting off the plane but imagine how good we would look if we were all dressed the same...or even the same colour..

Pity we are driven by accommodating the media vs comfort for travelling...

As for dress uniforms..I resisted getting one after becoming Capt for some time but now that I have one..I agree with Kat, it's great to have something to wear to official functions when we are representing CFS..

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 08:31:12 AM »
It should also be noted that you can only wear service medals on your dress uniform and not on jumpers,still waiting on the uniform committee to make up there mind....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 11:59:52 AM »
Hey its hard enough trying to get a dress uniform and the cost is to costly for Volunteers the only way to get one free is to wait till someone leaves the service

Why as fire fighters these days do we need dress uniform - seriously, how often would you wear it and as for wearing medals on it, medals should only be worn for ceremonies - so it begs the question, who really needs a dress uniform. There was a time when GO's, DGO's Captains all got it issued, but in todays environment what a waste of money - it's hard enough for people to recognise the yellows as a fire service let alone someone wearing a pond slime green uniform.

Having seen a sample of the field uniform (similar to the crime scene uniform worn by SAPOL) except in green yaka material - maybe this is an option to replace dress uniform - can then also be worn under PPE (ie grass fire shirt0 for station duties, maintenance, public forums/community meetings and then gives a consistent image - green and yellow - without the confusion of the old pond slime green thrown in!

Just my thoughts, but having had the pond slime green, it gather more dust than anything else and was not recognised in the community - hence a poloshirt with the brigade mane and group was the prefer option and better accepted by the public too :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline jameswillcourt

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 05:29:37 PM »
I am just a cadet but from my short experience wearing a full uniform for long periods of time especially sitting down is not the most cumfortable thing in the world.
and wearing them on the way back is a little bit gross. :mrgreen:

anything