Author Topic: PETROL STATION FIRE  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
PETROL STATION FIRE
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:04:18 PM »
GOT A GOOD OLD PRIVATE ALARM CALL AT 3AM YESTERDAY MORNIN TO THE LOCAL SERVO, BEING AN ALARM A LITTLE MORE TIME WAS TAKEN TO GET TO THE STATION BUT ON THE WAY I HAD TO PASS THE SERVO. SLOWED DOWN GOING PAST SUDDENLY REALIZED THAT THERE WAS A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF SMOKE COMING FROM THE PREMISES. AT THE STATION FELLOW MEMBERS SPEED AT GETTING DRESSED QUICKLY CHANGED WHEN TOLD OF THE SMOKE. WHEN WE ARRIVED STILL NO FIRE PRESENT BUT ONE OF THE LOCAL YOKELS WITH THE KEYS OPENED THE FRONT DOORS JUST AS WE ARRIVED LUCKILY THE FIRE WASN'T MORE ADVANCE OR HE WOULD HAVE BEEN TOAST (LITTERALLY) FIRST BA CREW UNDERTOOK COMPARTMENT FF. TECHNIQUES AND CONTAINED EVERYTHING QUICKLY. WOULD HAVE BEEN A MASSIVE FIRE IF IT WASN'T FOR THE MONITORED ALARMS.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PETROL STATION FIRE
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »
Fixed alams always tend to breed complanceny, at least people in your area wont take them so lightly anymore!

(Could you try avoiding using Caps so much. Makes it a little hard to read, and can be interpreted as "shouting")

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:08:54 PM »
Sorry bout the caps, I'm not the most computer literate of people. Unfortunately there are only a few in our brigade that turnout to all possible calls not just the "good ones". I've been warning the brigade for six months now that 99% of the time the alarms are nothing but there Will always be that one. However a second page upgrading the situation certainly got the other members out of bed. !!!
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 07:42:55 PM »
Good old fixed alarms people do tend to take there time till one brigade has a good working job,where you contacted by a security company first or a call via MFS COMMS.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:00:24 AM »
I'm not completely sure, i think the alarm went to mfs and it then came through our alerts.  A second call came about 30 sec. before we arrived on alerts from someone on scene saying there was a fire but we already knew that.  But one other point I've had to call our fire phone before and can testify that the alerts system is a pain in the a..! if i was a member of the public i would have been pretty disgusted. But then it all comes down to training doesn't it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 11:34:22 AM »
You've got that right mate, the sooner it goes central the better, that's why my brigade directs all calls to 000, then we only get one person talking, not 8 people all trying to talk at the same time!!! (and 7 of them having no idea what they are doing)

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 12:10:21 PM »
Nice save on the petrol stn. fire.  Could have been very nasty!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 04:58:55 PM »
Nice save on the petrol stn. fire.  Could have been very nasty!

Cheers, we estimated another 5 Min's and it would have hit A.I.T and it would have been a big one from there, i couldn't praise our two BA operators enough on their work that night. It was good for them to use their compartment FF techniques, considering they both had only done it in the last couple months. It's not very often down here we can use that because normally it's all gone by the time it gets called in. Thank God for monitored alarms !! :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 08:20:46 PM »
Job well done to all...