Author Topic: not to go on roof  (Read 11764 times)

rescue5271

not to go on roof
« on: October 30, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »
I did hear on the CFS grape vine that we are no longer allowed to go on roofs to do anywork has anyone else heard or know about this????? if it is true can I please order a skyjet for all brigades that have to attend fires in roof spaces and chimney fire's please.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: not to go on roof
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 02:59:54 PM »
unheard of down this way,if thats the case we wont be able to even go out on the truck soon, any reason for this?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 06:02:54 PM »
Not too sure but it may be OHSW???  If that is the case take the ladders of the truck and before we go to a job send out a safety officer and let him/her say if we can attend.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 06:41:41 PM »
i think that may be just a silly rumor mate...

altho' ther is a part of the OHSW policies that say safety harnesses must ebe worn when worjking at heights above 1.4m .... so thats when were working on ladders... on the roof of the truck (where we keep foam and stuff)... even getting into the truck is probably that height.

but no... getting on the roof is a part of normal firefighting work... maybe somebody was told never to work on the roof with fire beneath you, and they misinterpreted it the npassed it on... stranger things have happended///

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 07:32:41 PM »
lol... Think you may have been told an urban myth...

Wagon 1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »
There is an issue about working at heights, hence the massive amount of safety railings on Stirling pumper.

I sincerley hope its just a made up story because working on the roof is essential, one of the first things to do for venting etc.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:42:23 PM »
There is an issue about working at heights, hence the massive amount of safety railings on Stirling pumper.

I sincerley hope its just a made up story because working on the roof is essential, one of the first things to do for venting etc.

exactly so it cant possibly be true... unless the CFS's new policy will be to just let it burn and do defensive attacks.. .LOL

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 05:51:54 AM »
The only time Ive heard that were not allowed a roof was just after a ff fell through it..... long story not getting into it..... but have never heard an official directive saying so, was just a post accident directive for that job.

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 07:16:01 AM »
Heard from a friend of a friend that CFS are going to paint the front of their trucks red , as people get out of the way of red trucks quicker................

Now I just made that up, shows how easy it is for people to start rumours that have no factual information at all...

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:21:25 AM »
It is true that you are not supposed to go over a height of 1.4m or the likes under teh OHSW Act however some brigades are worried about their personnel and have started approaching group and region for roof working kits (includes harnesses and ropes etc) :? :oops:
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »
hahahahahahah omgwtf....

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 06:52:43 AM »
Was talking to a DGO from another group in region five and he said its true we are not allowed on the roof of anything over 1.4 meters.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 02:48:26 PM »
what next :?
how about a hot weather policy :evil:
anything about 40c and we will return back to station

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 03:00:49 PM »
Was talking to a DGO from another group in region five and he said its true we are not allowed on the roof of anything over 1.4 meters.
I reckon it would be near 1.4 metres high to get into the cab of our new 34, might not be able to get in without a harness anymore.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 03:36:16 PM »
There is an OH&S thing about working above 1.4m but common sense must prevail, my understanding is that you can work outside of oh&s guidelines providing there is a risk management process. The OH&S gurus could probably shed some light.

Could you imagine a situation where fire fighters where not allowed to go up a ladder to rescue a trapped person on the second floor of a building.

This is more than likely a case of something small being blown out of proportion. Don't give rumors too much weight until and if they come out in written policy as in the COSO/SOP or Operations guidelines.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
Perhaps a fall arrest system for enter/exiting the cab of the 34P?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 06:51:52 AM »
Just to clarify there is NO act or regulation that stipulates a safe height in SA. If you can fall then the risk must be managed, proper steps, good grab handles & 3 points of contact are all that's required. Now you may have some stupid rule in CFS about 1.4 mtrs, but to repeat there is no standard height.
Now if you were in Vic they talk about 1.8 mtrs, so that is why my company has that as a safe height across the whole country.
And yes Numbers, there is a "ladder safety system" you could use but you would have to wear a harness & it hurts when it pulls you up suddenly  (guys would understand):wink: Me thinks the cure would be worse than the fall!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline firey666

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »
Guys and gals, I have heard the don't go roofs any more, i believe it was told to me from the Naracoorte area, can't remember exactly who.

The things we need to consider are. is the structure sound, how do you tells this standing out front on the ground, too late if you climb up and the roof caves in.

Legislation actually state's that in SA fall protection must be considered above a height of 300mm. Yep that is 300mm.

This can be achieved relatively easy in industry, put a handrail up, Done.

In our service not so easily, As far as i know the statement about no going onto roofs is incorrect, Look at BFF 1, You are still taught to climb ladders, ladders can be used for other things than accessing roofs i here you say. but roof ventillation may need to be used in a structure fire if the internal ceiling fail and allows fire into the roof space.
The comment about getting skyjets for all CFS brigades, Good joke, they dont actually serve any usefull purpose apart from wasting lots of water.

We all need to be carefull and consider our own safety before going on to any roof. a simple risk assessment before acting may actually increase your life span.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 09:17:51 AM »
it's all relative in context...

....last I heard firey's were affectionately calling ambo's FERRETS..

....primarily due to getting to VA's and ambo's being in the car before they'd done their vehicle stabilisation and D/C the battery.

I laughed...but they had a point - but then putting it into context - if the car isn't stable and there's any other hazards - we'll hold off...it's about assessing the risk and making an informed decision in regard to your own safety.  I've worked with people who won't enter somewhere that I'm happy to and Vice-Versa......each to their own!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »
it's all relative in context...

....last I heard firey's were affectionately calling ambo's FERRETS..

....primarily due to getting to VA's and ambo's being in the car before they'd done their vehicle stabilisation and D/C the battery.

I laughed...but they had a point - but then putting it into context - if the car isn't stable and there's any other hazards - we'll hold off...it's about assessing the risk and making an informed decision in regard to your own safety.  I've worked with people who won't enter somewhere that I'm happy to and Vice-Versa......each to their own!

wo wo wo, just hold up there tiger,  Boredy if your suggesting using common sense then your obviously on the wrong forum and its about time you sat down and had a good, hard look at yourself! :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
I reckon this rumour would of snowballed after the recent stop-work order placed on Foxtel contractors due to their unsafe work practices when installing satellite dishes on rooves.......

Here's one for you - don't go near fire, it's hot and you might get hurt.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 11:01:33 AM »
I've heard of the 300 mm rule - like to know where it is coming from as regulation Prevention of falls - Division 2.13 does not mention a specified height
(2) If—
(a) a person must work—
(i) in an elevated workplace from which he or she could fall; or
(ii) in the vicinity of an opening through which he or she could fall; or
(iii) in any other place from which he or she could fall,
and it is reasonably foreseeable that the person would be injured in such a fall
due to the distance of the fall; or
(b) a person must work in the vicinity of an enclosure or container into which he
or she could fall and there is a reasonable likelihood that the person would be
injured in such a fall,
reasonable protection against a fall must be provided—
(c) by the provision of a safe means of access to the workplace; and
(d) by the provision of secure fences, covers or other forms of safeguarding or, if
that is not reasonably practicable due to the nature of the work, by the
provision and maintenance of safe systems of work.
Now don't know about you but to me blanket banning working on a roof is just plain stupid - it is another knee jerk reaction by people who don't have practical experience in these matters.
If you want good information take a look at the "Prevent of Falls - Emergency Services" Guide book from WorkSafe Victoria. It has good practical information in it, Safework SA also produces a "Work at Height" book. Again this has some useful information.
It really pisses me off when people use OHS as a tool so tasks can't get done, I spend over half of my working day dealing with half truths & mis-understandings & it gives OHS a bad name.
Anyway thing thats all I have that is constructive.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »
Ah the good ol working at heights debate. We have a no working beyond a 2mtr height without fall arrest equipment at work. There benefit is huge but in an emergency services sense a pain in the rear. We had to have out roof top monitor converted to remote control because of them.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »

wo wo wo, just hold up there tiger,  Boredy if your suggesting using common sense then your obviously on the wrong forum and its about time you sat down and had a good, hard look at yourself! :-D

you're right - i retract my statement - i musta have lost my mind...

..besides - anyone should have guessed by my use of correct grammar, spelling and big words that clearly I'm out of my depth on this forum!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
There was a discussion paper I saw a while back relating to the effects of fire on a roof for firefighters, and basically if its one of these new style houses with the multilink nail trusses, the weight rating drops dramatically on the roof you might be walking on..take care out there :wink:
Images are copyright

anything