Author Topic: SAAS Responding Other Services..  (Read 343713 times)

sesroadcrashrescue

Re: SAAS Responding Other Services..
« Reply #475 on: February 03, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
RI 81 cant get a crew and KP81 are at a sporting event and about to respond CA81 are the only response at this time while they find crews to do the job

pumprescue

« Reply #476 on: February 03, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »
Closest resource means nearest fire service or rescue resource as the case may be.

Sounds good but what if there is no fire plugs or water points along that area  and there is a fire the truck only hold 800lt. Or you go down the River flats, National parks area then what? Would all that info help suggest who to send where?  My map show the Big Orange is defiantly in Monash CFS area by 2 to 3km so they will work it out soon.

Thats all very well, but they are working with the old system, and the big orange doesn't show up on a map. They might not do everything right, but sometimes you can't get anymore info.

The new system will hopefully work with landmarks.

By the way, most MFS pumps have 1500 litres, only the ROSA's have less.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 03, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
JC Smith drive starts on the Berri side of the golf course and finishes just at Mortimer rd (both start in a SAMFS area).
But I guess you are right, was just curious thats all. As the town is expanding, it would be nice to know what is going on. Interestingly the Adelaide fire operator, told me Glossop was responding when I rang in to accept the task that hasn't happened before.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 03, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »
Give it time, its only been 14 mins.

14:47:03 03-02-08 RI81 Full Crew has not responded - any available members please contact comcen SAAS Riverton

The ambulance aint there yet,at least CFS would have been by now :-o
Images are copyright

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #479 on: February 03, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
CA81 isnt to far off and they are working on a full crew from riverton as well as trying to get kapunda relief so they can go to back u clare and yes fire and rescue may have been there by now manoora CFS would have been anyway saddleworth SES would be on the way or getting a crew 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 03, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »
CA81 isnt to far off and they are working on a full crew from riverton as well as trying to get kapunda relief so they can go to back u clare and yes fire and rescue may have been there by now manoora CFS would have been anyway saddleworth SES would be on the way or getting a crew 

CFS & SES have not been responded at all yet :?

14:51:33 03-02-08 Hi Craig - please ring Dieter in EOC re a tasking problem - cheers Dieter SAAS GROUP
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:37:10 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline Crownie24

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 03, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »
I saw the Kapunda police go past...like 10 minutes ago....

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 03, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
JC Smith drive starts on the Berri side of the golf course and finishes just at Mortimer rd (both start in a SAMFS area).
But I guess you are right, was just curious thats all. As the town is expanding, it would be nice to know what is going on. Interestingly the Adelaide fire operator, told me Glossop was responding when I rang in to accept the task that hasn't happened before.
cheers

Sorry to say Chook if you look at the Maps from SAMFS you will see that they are in CFS area but should be MFS. But if CFS get the call they go.  :evil:   :lol:

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 03, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »
Thanks obviously more detailed than a CFS map book :oops:
Anyway thaks for the info
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #484 on: February 03, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »
no rescue minor injury's only one car required car is off the road and not a danger to public however no idea why Rescue and fire wasnt called as the call came from sapol and the callers mobile went flat   

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 03, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »

14:47:03 03-02-08 RI81 Full Crew has not responded - any available members please contact comcen SAAS Riverton

How do you know CFS would have been there.. They are volunteers aren't they?..

rescue5271

« Reply #486 on: February 03, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »
Not sure why ses or cfs where not paged for that job looked and sounded as if saas where having problems getting a crew,I had a friend here fromrural ambulance vic and he was horrified that now rescue or fire cover had been paged for the riverton job. he said if that was in vic,all services would have been sent....

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 03, 2008, 07:11:28 PM »
Ah but thats Victoria where things are done by the book :wink:
Here in SA it is what ever shift is on and where it is in the state :roll:
But we have a good system, so lets not criticize it :evil:
Seriously if some thing is not done soon like it or not the public will find out.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 03, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »

The fact that SAAS didnt respond any other services is the issue and topic of this thread, and it was half an hour before a ambulance crew arrived on scene,other resources should have been dispatched.Even though the injuries were only minor,still a long time to wait for an emergency service to get to you whoever they might be.A vehicle accident has the potential to create other hazards for SAAS crews and the patients, and if they are not responding the fire service could lead to an unnecessary death :?

How many times have we seen this on the pager sites without any fire cover being responded....100's 
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 03, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
seems that the comcens are being filled with people from the metropolitan area with no clue how things go in/over the hills and past the northern/southern suburbs.

"Police required" is a slim chance that a single cop who will get there much later than SAAS, will be able to even provide enough scene protection on a windy road.

rescue5271

« Reply #490 on: February 04, 2008, 05:12:45 AM »
The single cop may be covering a large area where the local copper is on his weekend off,country cops cover large areas when other one man stations are on a day off... I am sure if SAAS keep going this way its going to hit the papers better still those paid staff who come into this site may be keeping date's and time's of what is going on.......yes in Victoria they do it by the book and do it well but at least all service's are sent to a job in a tmely manner.....

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 04, 2008, 06:57:29 AM »
Boredmatrix, as a ambo ,these incidents and the comments they raise ,are they the sort of thing that the greater SAAS service are aware of ? and if so do you ever see change on the horizon either by force (coronial) or a voluntary, procedural change!

Cheers Jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:38 AM »
Jaff

these types of incidents are fairly few and far between fortunately.  The biggest issue is that SAAS simply doesn't have the resources in the country!  I don't have to spell it out that people don't have as much time to volunteer anymore - and with SAAS's requirements for training and qualifying for cert IV - it puts more strain on volunteers!

There are a number of volunteer stations which may well be (already) earmarked for 'takeover' in the future by career teams - but the politics involved in removing a competent volunteer team is ridiculously horrendous!!

SAAS has made a lot of changes in the way they manage volunteer teams in the last couple of years - and most of it is positive, but there still may come a time when the need for more paid staff in areas which have been traditionally volunteer stations comes around. Integrated crewing (ie: para and a volunteer as is used in Vic and QLD) is an option that has always been on the table - but just never implemented - SAAS only just have enough staff for their country and metro career stations!

As for changes happening by force (ie: coronial) - it's a tough one.  How much jurisdiction does the coroner have over who volunteers their time to do this job? how would this affect recruitment and retention?  It'd take just one volunteer ambo to get roasted in the coroners court - and it could be the first domino!

changes don't happen overnight - but to SAAS's credit, changes are a-foot!
yes -I think SAAS is well aware of their shortfalls - but like most things in the Government domain - there is very little scope to fix things overnight! It's almost an exciting time in SAAS at the moment - with new executive management coming onboard from OUTSIDE of SAAS -  to a new CEO this year, plus becoming solely a Gov't Dept - there will be a lot of changes happening in the next couple of years - but as to the extent of impact on service delivery - only time will tell just how much change will happen!

uniden

« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
The short staffed sapol and saas country issues are even more reason for the CFS/SES to be responded to such MVA`s as the one yesterday. In a timely manner also. Assistance can be provided for traffic control and first aid at the very least.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 04, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »

The fact that SAAS didnt respond any other services is the issue and topic of this thread, and it was half an hour before a ambulance crew arrived on scene,other resources should have been dispatched.Even though the injuries were only minor,still a long time to wait for an emergency service to get to you whoever they might be.A vehicle accident has the potential to create other hazards for SAAS crews and the patients, and if they are not responding the fire service could lead to an unnecessary death :?

How many times have we seen this on the pager sites without any fire cover being responded....100's 

Im referring to *your* comment, that the CFS WOULD have already been there.. - This comment is incorrect, as you have no idea whether they would or wouldn't be.. - I wont start on the number of times a firefighter or other service member has said "Oh mate, they only have a bust shoulder" as they are walking someone around a vehicle after an accident with no care taken for lateral or cervical injuries.. - We can all pick on things with other services, why not leave this to the *ACTUAL* brigades involved/concerned to take these issues forward.

I find it ammusing, that *most* the people posting are not experiencing any problems, would suggest things are fine with the level of response in your neck(s) of the woods.. Yet people love picking out problems elsewhere?.. - Go figure..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:31:58 AM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Crownie24

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
No one knew if the CAT CONVERTER was roasting away at the grass and a fire could have started at any moment, the CFS would have been there because they have a greater proportion of members than the local SAAS unit and Riverton/Saddleworth CFS are very prompt at response. These are highly trained people who have seen many of these accidents I'm sure that they wouldn't have got someone with internal injuries out and doing star jumps..... First aid is better than no aid...
I hate it when people generalize the CFS just because one dumb scheiße makes a mistake doesn't mean the entire CFS is going to make that same mistake.

Offline will0936

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 04, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
As an aside guys, I took one of the calls to SAAS for the Manoora VA, and while I was still on the phone to the original caller, another person was notifying SAPOL and MFS/CFS/SES, so there was certainly no delay from us telling everyone else about it. This is standard procedure for all country VA's, any shortfalls in this is an individual Call Taker problem, but everyone I work with is well aware of it.
Rule of thumb I use is if it's country, everyone comes out to play, no matter how minor it may seem.
As for who was tasked, I couldn't say anything as I wasn't involved in that side of it.

Oh, and the MULTIPLE HAZARDS on pages automatically comes up when we select more than one hazard (be it Traffic, Spillage, Animals, or Police Required) - this quite often happens at VA's as the CAD sometimes adds Police Required, so as soon as we add Traffic as a hazard, it'll go to Multiple Hazards.

Offline Crownie24

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »
Thats interesting I guess Adelaide fire is the one playing god now....

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »
No one knew if the CAT CONVERTER was roasting away at the grass and a fire could have started at any moment, the CFS would have been there because they have a greater proportion of members than the local SAAS unit and Riverton/Saddleworth CFS are very prompt at response. These are highly trained people who have seen many of these accidents I'm sure that they wouldn't have got someone with internal injuries out and doing star jumps..... First aid is better than no aid...
I hate it when people generalize the CFS just because one dumb filtered makes a mistake doesn't mean the entire CFS is going to make that same mistake.

Not generalising, not calling anyone anything. - Point is, the original comment (and now yours), is not accurate. You CAN'T gaurentee a response! What if no one rocked up because they were all busy?!! I have full faith in the local crews, and have no doubt they are great operators, but at the end of the day, they/we are volunteers. If no one is around for some freak reason, the truck doesn't leave the station- That is all I am/was saying.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:29:16 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline will0936

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 04, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
In their defence - there may still be a few people here that don't call them, but I doubt it.