Author Topic: Problems recruiting new CFS members  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Problems recruiting new CFS members
« on: December 13, 2005, 07:42:40 AM »
Hiya everyone it's Robert here i know this is my very first post ever on the site so i am gonna make the best of it

Over the last few years my brigade Kalangadoo CFS has been having trouble getting new members into the brigade because the community doesnt seem to care about the CFS here

After my father suggested shock tactics by inviting the whole community to and showing 2 videos about fires such as Ash Wednesday and Eyre Peninsula in a bid to get more people to sign up, however this type of thing never happened because it was deemed inapproriate by the Group who instead opted for flyers to be posted

We did get a couple of new volunteers but they were the wrong type of people if you know what i mean because they think are better than the current members

Give me your opinion or advice on how small town brigades like Kalangadoo can get more volunteers
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Problems recruiting new CFS members
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:22:33 PM »
Hi Robert! Good to hear from you.
At Meningie, about two years ago, we ran a fairly large recruiting campaign as numbers in the Brigade were quite low, especially during the day. We have a local paper which we submitted an article into explaining the problem the Brigade and Community may face if a crew could not respond. We pushed it hard that the CFS is YOUR (as in community) fire brigade and also explained that if we couldn't get a crew it would be at least 30 minutes before the next Brigade could assist. We submitted a 'shock tactic' article on a recent job we responded to or rather nearly didn't respond to. Flyers went up in every shop in town, the CFS Recruiting now banner went up in the main street and we held an open night. At the open night we had about 25 people attend and of those the Brigade retained 7. The key with the open night is to ensure that you advertise it and the problem for weeks before the actual night. Since then we have had a few join also. We try to get involved with every town function to show the colours and let people know we actually do other stuff apart from fight fires! Our Brigade is mostly tight nit so that helps also. This is just an idea that worked for us but may not suit every Brigade or town. Good luck.
Adam.
PS: Footy and netball season is still a killer!!!!!

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 12:48:28 PM »
Is the site playing up ?  It says this subject was created today, and Robert saying its his very first post (however he has 64 to his name).. Unless this is old and it jumped up as new.. ?

Whats happening  :?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »
Interesting point Striker..... one for Firefrog ;)

Hi Robert.
Have you spoken to your VSO? They've got a lot of resources and ideas to help with recruiting.....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:26:05 PM »
Hiya Mike yes we have spoken to our VSO a couple of times in the last few years and have had numerous posters & phamplets printed up but still nothing... i think it's about time the regional offices should take a look at the volunteer numbers at each brigade and hold an open night by doing shock tactis such as showing videos of fires like 1983 and explaining to people that it's important volunteer and keep the community safe
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:03:35 PM »
Vote 1 Robert34 for cheif.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 05:22:59 PM »
I wouldnt mind being CFS CEO or one of the South East Group Officers but i have got a long way to go before that happens  :-D thanks for the support anyway TILLERMAN
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:29:45 AM »
Strange behaviour of the site! Robert when did you post this thread? You can Private message me if you like.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »
I hope we get some new members fast as we just lost two due to medical reasons  :-(

We need the members fast as we've got a couple in our brigade who think they are good enough to run it despite only being in the CFS for two years and we call these two (brown nosers) even though this doesnt sound like a nice name to give these two volunteers of ours it's true as they have done so many courses in a very short time rather than waiting for a year or two

I know that other brigades in South Australia might have (brown nosers) but one of these is saying he will become captain at next years AGM Election... if this does happen my mum and myself will be calling a walkout strike until Region 5 or SOC has found out and asks why were doing it

Our brigade has only 9 active members with the number likely to decrease to 6 or 5 pending on next years election

Sorry for using the term brown noser but i cant say other words used to describe our show pony brigade members :cry: :oops:
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:15:06 PM »
Yoo tell em. :evil:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 05:00:22 PM »
I know that other brigades in South Australia might have (brown nosers) but one of these is saying he will become captain at next years AGM Election... if this does happen my mum and myself will be calling a walkout strike until Region 5 or SOC has found out and asks why were doing it

doubt SOC would actually care, more likely to be an issue for the chief or region...

however if they get into the position of captain... it would be because they are voted there by a majority of members.. so its up to you to stop it.

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »
As robert goes on a gun wielding rampage....

:mrgreen:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »
I dont think i'd go on a gun wielding rampage strikeathird :lol: im just worried about my own safety if one of our inexperienced members gets captain as they wouldnt know what to do at a large scale incident resulting in them panicking therefore putting the crew at risk

Like MEDEVAC said its up to the ones who dont want an inexperienced captain to have a say and make sure one of the more experienced brigade members such as myself or my mum get a senior role  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
Just remember, be diplomatic in your ways...  It will do alot more for you than getting all heated about it.

If you have concerns, you have the right to voice them, just remember there are ways to do this, and try and be constructive...

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 09:19:36 PM »
My brigade had some serious membership issues earlier this year, some major recruiting was required. We set about targetting locals through a letterbox drop in the nearby suburbs as well as posters throughout the local shops and supermarkets, we had an advertisement in the local Messenger Newspaper and also placed a sign that had a recruiting message on it out the front of our station.

We had about 15 applicants out of this campaign of which we have kept and trained 9, they have now become operational and are making a big difference in our response to jobs. It's great not having to worry about the 'More Crew Required' page coming out after each call now. We've gone from struggling to respond one truck sometimes to now responding two trucks all the time.

If you are using a combination of advertising methods make sure you ask your applicants how they found out that you were recruiting so you can use those techniques that are successful next time, we found the sign outside the station and the posters were the best method.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 05:15:07 PM »
That seems like a good idea matt but it's gonna take some time as our brigade has almost collapsed if you know what i mean  :-(

I can draw comparison between my brigade and WWE Raw when Raw was failing the problem was found to be their General Manager so after he was sacked Monday night Raw started to get back up on it's feet even though it didnt have a permanent GM

The only difference is that our brigade is loosing members because of medical conditions but at the same time not gaining any new recruits because the "Brown Nosers" think they can run the brigade all by themself without volunteers who go by the book 

Im one of the only members aside from my mum in the Kalangadoo brigade who actually follow the book the way it's supposed to be followed which is very sad in a way  :cry:

Please dont scorn me for saying this  :-( :cry: :oops:
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 06:38:03 PM »
Has anyone got any members who do work for the dole program??? I know a few brigades around the place that have these members and that is how some are getting by with day time problems . but when the member finds a job they do tend to stay with the brigade...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 12:09:53 PM »
There is a high possibility that Kalangadoo brigade will survive if the proposed blue gum pulp mill that is going to be located at Kalangadoo dump is opened up sometime in mid-late 2006 or early 2007

Once the mill opens up we might have an influx of new residents to the town who might wanna join the brigade  :-)

So its imperative for the next 24 months to make sure the Kalangadoo CFS doesnt fold or close its doors because we'll have an even bigger responsiblility once the new mills opens up... unless that mill is going to have its own Emergency Response Fire Brigade like KCA does :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »
I don't think the brigade can just "close its doors" on their own account... I believe it has to be done by region / state .... So you aren't just going to rock up to the station for a call one day to find a sign ....  'Brigade Closed..Capt'  .. Cause I don't think it can work that way.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
robert:

i used to be like you... you worry too much about CFS.
its a passion, but sometimes we really have to step backa and just do the standard things to keep it ticking along, cos unfortunately if your the only person in a brigade trying to do the right thing.. it will more than likely work against you, as i have found, and people will be even less likely to change for the benefit of the brigade...

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 08:03:02 AM »
Robert,before a brigade / station can close you have to call a public meeting and place the problems to the community that we serve. I dont know if the mill will be the answer sure it may help but a brigade must help its self first. Sorry I did not catch up before xmas but will do this month,if the mill does go ahead you may find you will get a new appliances :lol:

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 09:57:01 AM »
The CEO is publicly stating that we have inadequate volunteer numbers due to societal trends. And hiring more aerial support because of it!

Interesting to note that ABC radio picked up on it and requested an interview this morning. Was anyone listening or knows whether Euan was able to make it?(Looks like pretty short notice!)
SHQ: LISA - ABC RADIO WOULD LIKE TO TALKE TO EUAN RE YESTEDAY'S RELEASE RE NEED FOR MORE VOLUNTEERS ON AIR WITH ANNETTE MAHER AT 0710, < 3/01/2006 06:48:30
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006, 03:22:12 PM »
Its a pity the government cant make it compulsory for able Australian people to join an emergency services...during Australia history lessons back in high school i learned about how the Australian government during war times made it compulsory for all able people to serve in the armed forces whether it was going overseas to fight or protecting Australia from invasions

If that was re-introduced then the CFS would have no problem at all of putting strike teams togethe and plus new brigades would pop up all over the state

While reading the Volunteer magazine in 2005 i noticed that an Indigenous Country Fire Service brigade was being formed up in the sticks of South Australia
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 05:24:57 AM »
They can robert,its called NATIONAL SERVICE used to work getting people into the armed forces.....

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 06:16:05 AM »
If you force people to join.... are you really going to get what your looking for?

A group of people who really dont want to be there, and even if the pager did go off at 3am, would they get out of bed????

anything