Author Topic: Not again - and it's one of their own  (Read 2953 times)

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Not again - and it's one of their own
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:54:03 AM »
Not again - and it's one of their own
By JOANNA VAUGHAN
20 Dec 05

ANOTHER mangled wreck and another young life was left hanging by a thread yesterday.

Emergency workers face such scenes too often, but yesterday some of the firefighters who attended a horrific crash will carry a more personal feeling of tragedy.

At Christmas they will remember finding one of their own trapped in the twisted metal wreckage.

The 28-year-old Sellicks Beach man suffered severe injuries in the second head-on collision on South Rd in two days. He was taken to the Flinders Medical Centre yesterday after the Toyota Celica he was driving and a Suzuki Lanos collided head-on at Seaford Rise.

Police believe the southbound Suzuki was on the wrong side of the road when the accident happened on the Pedler Creek Bridge about 12.30pm.

Sen-Const Wayne Liebich said a third car might have been involved.

"We believe a third vehicle, possibly a blue Ford sedan, could have been involved," he said. "We are not sure what role that vehicle has played in the collision itself . . . or if it has caused the red car to take some sort of usual action."

The Celica driver was trapped for about an hour and the occupants of the Suzuki, an elderly couple from Morphett Vale, were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Aldinga Beach CFS attended the scene to find the critically injured man was a fellow volunteer with the Sellicks Beach CFS.

Anyone who may have seen the accident or third vehicle - a blue Ford sedan - should call BankSA crime stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Best Wishes To The Man Involved, Please Do Not Quote The Name Of The Casualty, Please Keep It Private & Give Good Words For The Family.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 08:15:38 AM by CyberCitizen »

strikeathird

Re: Not again - and it's one of their own
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 09:01:33 AM »
Accidents are never a good thing, yet seem even worse when it is one of your own trapped / injured.

Hope he recovers well, and thoughts go to his family.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »
A friend was driving near the accident scene on South Road, with two kids onboard, after the accident had occurred.

Has she slowed down to approximately 20kms/hr her three month old Corolla was hit in the rear by another vehicle's bull-bar. The vehicle was large and towing a large trailer.

Thanks to passerbys they got the kids home and the car is being assessed. Hatchback is badly damaged.

I hope all families affected by any accident this 'silly season' can recover as best they can.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 01:20:46 PM »
Did That Second Accident Happen About Here -35.2095, 138.4903 - Satellite Image

I Saw Some Glass On The Road Further North From The Site & Thought It Looked Like A Rear Ender?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:29:35 AM »
Possibly CyberCitizen. Rear window of the hatchback shattered over one of the kids in the rear seat. Will ask for location details when I next see the woman driver, but she & the kids are still in partial shock.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything