Author Topic: Entry and backup systems for stations  (Read 8833 times)

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Entry and backup systems for stations
« on: January 11, 2006, 08:37:11 AM »
We got most of stuff from Grants eg roller door that opens with pager responce, chairs all of them, TV, Video ect. Still looking for more grants for extras.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »
Our doors are automated with pager responses as are the lights in the station and the back door unlocks as well, a very handy thing!! As for the security of that, at Goolwa we've never had a problem with people coming in when the doors go up for a call, but thats at Goolwa!! :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 12:03:10 PM »
Our doors are automated with pager responses as are the lights in the station and the back door unlocks as well, a very handy thing!! As for the security of that, at Goolwa we've never had a problem with people coming in when the doors go up for a call, but thats at Goolwa!! :|

Meningie is the same.  haven't had a problem yet with intruders - touch wood!  They are very handy - just one less thing someone has to do whilst trying to don PPC etc.  Only problem is if there is a false alarm like a decoder fault or similar someone has to go to the station to put the doors down.
Adam

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »
Whats Wrong With Just Pushing The Roller Door Button When You Get To The Station. Or Even Have It Set To Open When You Open The Station Door, That Way There Is No Chance For Intruders.  I Mean Intruders Wouldn't Have Long, And i Can't Say I Have Heard Of Anything Happening, However You Never Know.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 03:57:59 PM »
I was speaking to a CFS person at a Brukunga Leadership course a few years ago.

He stated that the CFS brigade he was with changed the roller doors to 12volt battery backup so to avoid power outages to station. They had also run 12 volt lighting to avoid tripping in the dark.

The system was designed to activate when one button was pressed.

This sounded a great idea....is it necessary ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:16:43 PM »
Our station was lucky enough to have automatic roller doors fitted in the eighties after the CEO at the time, Don McArthur, was shown the old fold up jobs that took 5 blokes 15 minutes to open them.

They go up when the pagers go and we have never had a security issue. Intruders would have to be quick wouldn't they? With vollies rocking up all over the place :-)

The main advantage is that it guarentees members access to the station when there is a call in case a station key holder does not respond. I have heard of a few instances in different Brigades where a crew has been in the carpark unable to access station!

On to the back up power. The 12 volt battery back up sounds good. The doors can still be raised by chains manually, but to knock the motor out of gear and get the chains down takes a little while. It us quicker to run an extension cord to the 5kva generator on a slide mount in one of the appliances and kick in in the guts. In fact if I'm around and the power goes down I head to the station to check auxiliary power is on, battery back ups have worked and actually set up the cord to generator ready to go.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:08:35 PM »
My Stations Doors are connected to the intruder alarm, so they don't go up until someone disarms the alarm anyway - that's a good way of mixing security with convenience...

Is it necessary? I like having the doors open when I arrive at the station, because I can walk right through the open roller door, and straight to my gear. I guess it's the same as asking if an SES truck needs 7 Chainsaw's.. probably not, but they'd be very useful to have...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:52:58 AM »
CFS_firey, totally agree that auto-opening doors and lighting switched on is very necessary.

My question was regards if the battery backup system is necessary so that everything works (esp lighting in the shed) during apower outage.

Sorry for the confusion....my wording was bad. :-)
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »
On to the back up power. The 12 volt battery back up sounds good. The doors can still be raised by chains manually, but to knock the motor out of gear and get the chains down takes a little while. It us quicker to run an extension cord to the 5kva generator on a slide mount in one of the appliances and kick in in the guts. In fact if I'm around and the power goes down I head to the station to check auxiliary power is on, battery back ups have worked and actually set up the cord to generator ready to go.

Our station has auto battery backup if the power goes down but it only supplies radios and lighting to comms and ops room.  It doesn't light the engine bay or roller doors so crews have to make their way slowly to get to their PPC and the yank the chains to raise the doors.  We do have a generator to run the entire station but that does take some setting up!
When brigades were fitted with interface units for the GRN paging they were set up so a page would be sent in the event of a mains supply failure, so that gives members a heads up before they arrive at station.
Adam.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 11:15:19 AM »
probably not the right link but what size generator would you need to run the station radio,some lights and roller door in a black out? We get a few and it takes a while to get the boor up and hard to write in books with torch only. Have battery radio backup only

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 11:50:18 AM »
probably not the right link but what size generator would you need to run the station radio,some lights and roller door in a black out? We get a few and it takes a while to get the boor up and hard to write in books with torch only. Have battery radio backup only

We got a 6.5Kva with a grant. It is more than enought to run our entire station.
Adam.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
sorry but thats why I asked where do I ask this Question and all the other stuff I would like to ask???????? New to the asking game...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Entry and backup systems for stations
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 07:06:30 AM »
All is good backburn..... must have missed that....

anyways, we did have a 5kva single phase gen set at the old station..... however the new station will have a 15 kva 3 phase gen set :)... dont know what they are planning for the integration of electrical systems for callouts.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 08:24:29 AM »
Would that size run the whole station if required, have been told we can not get one just for the doors it needs to run the complete station.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 08:42:35 AM »
well thats the aim..... It used to run our hospital, but they got an upgrade and donated the old one to us.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 10:02:36 AM »

The easiest way to answer this is add up the wattage of the things you need to run and this will tell you what the building (lights/radio's/etc) will be drawing then you can go to a sparky and they will tell you your exact needs.

Alternatively the cheaper option - battery back up for the radios (CFS has a standard system) and then the 12volt emergency lights.

One day I think OH&S will make those a requirment for all stations - I know it is for new ones
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 10:54:08 AM »
The main advantage is that it guarentees members access to the station when there is a call in case a station key holder does not respond. I have heard of a few instances in different Brigades where a crew has been in the carpark unable to access station!

We Have One Of Those Pin Door Locks Like They Have In Macca's So There Is No Chance Of The Firies Getting Locked Out.

I Don't Find It That Hard To Pull The String To Flick The Motor In Manual & Pull It Up Via The Chains, I Think It Would Take Longer To Hook The Doors Up To Power Via A Generator.  However Every Station Is Different So Its What Ever Works Best At Your Station.

Battery back up for the radios (CFS has a standard system) and then the 12volt emergency lights.

Thats All We Have, Well Actually I Think Our Emergency Lighting Is That Of The Glowing Exit Sign, However It Is Still More Than Enough To See What We Are Doing To Get Dressed & Get The Trucks Out the Door.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 11:12:18 AM by CyberCitizen »

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 12:19:41 PM »
We Have One Of Those Pin Door Locks Like They Have In Macca's So There Is No Chance Of The Firies Getting Locked Out.

Have heard of one region fitting tpin locks to all ststions - will be very costly tho!
Adam.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 06:35:01 PM »
EH? why cant every member just have a key to the station?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 05:26:44 AM »
Have tried both methods.... and have to say I do prefer a key. The trick is keeping track of who they have been issued to.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 05:36:47 AM »
we have thirty-five keys, and thirty-two members
all the keys have there own number stamped into the metal... we also have a log with everyones name and there key number... we then get the key back if they leave the brigade... simple.

easier than constantly changing codes, and having nuff nuffs forget it.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 06:39:07 AM »
we use the same method, but have found that it is not always so simple to get the keys back....

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »
If you use registered Keys, they can't be copied any way, especially if you purchase the ones with those tiny little drill holes in them.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 06:40:04 PM »
AAH yes thats what i mean, we have the registered... "do not copy" keys...
little 'u'-shaped thingos

weve never had a prob getting them back - but i guess if you got a bad egg it could be

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 09:15:26 AM »
There is one brigade in my area that has a membership of around 45 to 50 members both fires and auxiliary but have over 100 keys cut and still get requested to get more.  :?