Author Topic: Firefighter dies battling Vic blaze  (Read 9089 times)

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Firefighter dies battling Vic blaze
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
Firefighter dies battling Vic blaze

A volunteer firefighter has been killed while fighting a fire in the Strathbogie ranges 20 kilometres north of Yea in north-eastern Victoria.

Four firefighters from Campbell's Creek south of Castlemaine in central Victoria were part of a mopping up operation when their truck overturned on a slope.

One of the firefighters died instantly. Three others were injured in the accident.

The Country Fire Authority says one of those injured was flown to Melbourne and is in hospital in a critical condition. Two more were in Seymour Hospital for observation.

The firefighter's death comes as police investigate the deaths of two people in a car during a fire in the Grampians in western Victoria last night.

Two bodies were found in the burnt-out car on the Moyston Pomonal Road but it is unclear whether the two were trying to escape the fire or died after their car hit a tree.

No emergency services units were able to attend to the burning car.

Victoria Police's Chief Commissioner, Christine Nixon, says police are trying to identify the bodies and determine "whether or not it was the accident".

PF_

Re: Firefighter dies battling Vic blaze
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 09:40:28 PM »
Thats terrible.  Tragic that it happened during mop-up.

Condolances to the firefighters family.  Hope the others pull through alright.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:51:14 AM »
Condolances to the firefighters family.  Hope the others pull through alright.

Likewise.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:11:51 AM »
Heartfelt condolonces.

Stay safe people.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »
Lets just hope that one of our volunteers doesnt suffer the same fate from what i have read in the local newspaper that the conditions we saw on Sunday are likely to happen again in Feburary and possibly March

According to news headlines on the Yahoo homepage it turns out that the CFA volunteer was infact Campbell's Creek brigade Captain which is a big kick in the guts for that brigade  :cry: :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 09:37:40 AM »
the thiong that gets me about that accident, is the fact that the fatality was a person inside the cab... not the unprotected guys on the crew deck...

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 09:57:03 AM »
My brigade is sending a card and a letter to the Campbells Creek brigade, at least we can let these guys know we are thinking of them. The flag remained at half mast yesterday when we found out.

Play safe guys - this should be a wake up call to us all, follow the rules and remember you're training.

Offline Laska

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:09:35 PM »
That's really horrible news. My condolances to the firefighters family and his brigade.

PF_

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »
Channel 10 news reported that his family will recieve a $450 000 compensation pay out.  But that does not replace the father of four.

The firefighters in the cabin should ahve been wearing seatbelts.  This should be made mandatory.  (if it already isnt.)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
as covered in COSO 7:
"it is a legal requirement that seatbelts must be worn by drivers of emergency vehices whilst on a public road. Passengers of emergency vehicles are exempt under the Australian road rules -267 point 5, however CFS recommends seat belts should be worn where possible"

not sure if this is the same in Vic... also keeping in mind they werent on a public road... from what i understand though they were travelling at low speed... you probvably wouldnt expect anything to go wrong...

PF_

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
medevac, thats true you dont expect anything to happen, but seatbelts should be worn all the time.  It could have prevented the tragic accidents.

My opinion

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 10:11:07 AM »
It is a terrible tragedy and lose.

Vic is the same as here - seatbelts are there - wear them and from first hand experience (when we went to assist with their fires a few years back) their police follow up. CFS had several complaints from the Vic Police that crews weren't seated, seat belts weren't worn in the cabs and crews were standing on the back.

A timely reminder for all and a sad way for it to occur.

Thoughts to the family, brigade and all in CFA.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 10:50:25 AM »
PF, they where on the fire ground this is not the place to say what they should have done with seatbelts so just let it go......

PF_

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 10:53:51 AM »
PF, they where on the fire ground this is not the place to say what they should have done with seatbelts so just let it go......

Im not having a go at them at all.  Its a tragic loss but seatbelts mayhave prevented it.  Appologies if it came across the wrong way.

strikeathird

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 11:25:02 AM »
Chill blinky, I don't think P_F intended any malice.

Heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the lost brother !

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 12:04:50 PM »
This thread will contine to be a place to express our thoughts and sympathies re this tragic loss of life.

No discussion or specualtion is permitted regarding the accident. This accident like any other will have an investigation and when and if the findings are published we can discuss the outcomes but this is not the thread or the time for this type of chat.

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 04:30:02 PM »
well said firefrog......

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 08:41:43 PM »
well yet another two firefighter have been killed in the line of duty and one can only feel some if not alot of sadness to both there familys and the fire service from which they came from(NSWRFS and VIC CFA).. I had only just said to my wife that we are always carefull and that we do take care when this all came to light.It is true that the work we do is not always safe and that we never know what could or may happen,all I say is that we all need to come home safe.. I once again extended my condolences to both service's.their familys and the cdommunitys that they where from.

LET US ALL TAKE CARE  FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

PF_

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »
two more??

I read that a bloke was killed in a plane crash, firebombing plane.  What is the other one?

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »
I believe that during the week a member of a CFA brigade was struck by an appliance while battling a fire.  A bit sketchy on the details.

It comes as a further reminder to us all of the risky nature of the duties we undertake. Especially in the week that we remember our own fire fighting tragedy of 23 years ago.

Be safe people.  Always be aware of yourself, your crew and of your surroundings.  Above all - do not take any chances with your safety and the safety of those around you.

Our effort is to reduce the statistics, not become them.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 10:15:46 AM »
Tragically a 41 year old mother of three young children died in terrible circumstances as reported on www.smg.com.au:

A volunteer firefighter has died after falling under the wheels of a fire truck while battling a blaze in Victoria's north on Friday.

It is the second firefighting fatality in as many days and the third in recent weeks.

The 41-year-old Barnawatha woman was fighting a grassfire on a private property in Barnawartha, west of Wodonga, when she was hit about 1.45pm (AEDT), police said.

The woman, who was helping with a fire hose, fell under the wheels of the truck as it slowly moved forward.

She suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene, Senior Constable Michael Henry said.

Traumatised fellow firefighters had to keep battling the blaze, which broke out about 1.30pm and took an hour to contain.

The woman's family, who are also involved in the brigade, have been notified.

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks and Country Fire Authority chief executive Neil Bibby on Friday night extended their sympathy to the woman's family, friends and colleagues.

"I am sure I speak on behalf of all Victorians when I send my sympathies to the family involved in this tragedy," Mr Bracks said.

"The loss is felt particularly hard when it is a volunteer who died selflessly serving their community.

"I am sure the thousands of members of the CFA across Victoria will rally round and support the family and local brigades in their time of need."

Country Fire Authority chief executive Neil Bibby said there were no words to adequately express his grief.

"Our deepest condolences go out to the member's family, friends and fellow brigade personnel," Mr Bibby said.

"There is nothing we can say to alleviate their pain but we will be there for them.

"As always, the CFA family will stand behind its members and anyone affected by this devastating loss can be assured of our full support."

Mr Bibby urged CFA members to talk about the tragedy with each other.

"I encourage any CFA member affected by the tragedy to speak to their fellow members and use available counselling services," he said.

The major collision investigation unit had been sent to the property on Williams Rd, as well as Worksafe officers, police said.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

On Thursday in NSW, a waterbombing pilot Brad Pead died when his plane ploughed into a hill near Mount Ulandra, south of Cootamundra.

The 32-year-old father of two was the first fatality in the history of Australia's aerial firefighting.

Mr Pead worked for a private aviation company contracted to carry out waterbombing for the Rural Fire Service and was alone on the flight.

Police said he was from Bellangry, near Port Macquarie.

Last month in Victoria, Campbells Creek fire captain Trevor Day, 42, died while fighting a blaze near Yea when the truck he was in rolled over.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

anything