Author Topic: Seatbelts on Firegrounds  (Read 1917 times)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Seatbelts on Firegrounds
« on: January 25, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »
In response to discussion in another thread:

Honestly, in the cab of an appliance on the fireground it can be a bit difficult to wear a seatbelt. As an appliance officer you'll have severak radios to reach and use (also phones), map books to find in totes behind seats, weather meters, cool drinks out the fridge etc - talk to crews on intercoms and even by poking your head out of the window - or getting off. Landowners and farmers hooting around to pull up next to and talk to (possibly having to get out, getting out to assist crews, liaise with other crews etc. etc.
And even the driver can be continually exiting and entering the vehicle.
Is it really that realistic to think that these people will remember or even be able to wear their seatbelts at all times? And their crew on the back are standing up on a moving vehicle fighting running grassies.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

Re: Seatbelts on Firegrounds
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
As stated , only the DRIVER has to wear the seatbelt.. CFS just RECOMENDS(sp) that everyone else does...  And honestly, i think it is a good idea..  If the driver is thrown or knocked around or out of the seat, he can very easily loose control of the appliance..Where as a seat belt would help hold the driver in place...  Even at low speed..

Rest of the crew.... Well, personally, if I was on the back of some of the CFS trucks around the state, I would rather be thrown WELL clear of them in a roll rather than being strapped in with a seatbelt...  (which would probably pull the rivot out of the rusty sheet metal in a roll any way !!! )

PF_

Re: Seatbelts on Firegrounds
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
Personally I would wear my seatbelt all the time.  Except if standing on the back for a grassie.  But when travelling somewhere it's belt up baby!