Author Topic: boat fires out to sea  (Read 9556 times)

Offline mezfire

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
boat fires out to sea
« on: January 28, 2006, 08:41:55 PM »
can any one out there give me any idea on what p.p.e. you should wear to a going boat fire 1km out to sea. should we wear life jackets (restrictive-flammable)should we have boots on. its a situation that nobody seems to have a answer for and no sops.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: boat fires out to sea
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:06:43 PM »
well for one your meant to have CABA on but if you go in the drink your in deep crap(literally)! but there isn't a SOP for it? We tried to get some PVD's to put on our 24p but were knocked back and told that we don't need them even though we quite often help SAAS with patients on boats, plus the fact our brigade covers the soon to be largest fresh water marina in the southern hemisphere. :? It's funny that a lot of the brigades that cover busy waterways in the state don't have access to life jackets and the such but i guess the wisdom of the CFS  :lol: believes that these incidents don't happen enough for it to warrant the extra equipment and training????
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »
Check with Brett Pollini at the State Training Centre, I believe he was put in charge of coming up with some S.O.P's etc regarding water rescues & boat fires.

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »
You could also contact MFS water operations and question what they do...

Obviously you are involved in Water related operations ??

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
This would be a great question to put to your Regional Operations Committee and the State Equipment Committee and alike.

In theory your CABA set would have a neutral buoyancy - the FRP cylinder (full) would override the weight of the set, plus sabre rate their set to several meters of immersion (although I'm not sure I would want to try it  :lol:)

If wearing full PPE (confirmed fire) I think anyone would struggle to stay afloat in BPI and boots - it would be a nighmare and quickly pull you under.

I am aware of situations on the river (both in SA and interstate) where due to safety crews have only fought the fire up wind when in boats (hence no CABA, but in PFD's)- not sure but NSWRFS use boats, maybe their people have SOP's. Also SES use boast (not for fire fighting although there is no reason we couldn't use them) and I know following several incidents they have strict policy on what needs to be worn in boats and sops on boat operations.

Interesting really, CFS cover many major ports in SA and also the who of the Murray and lakes  - makes you wonder why this hasn't come up before ........... or maybe it has been raised by several regions and it's been put in the too hard basket by people who need to see ship/boat fire fighting as a reality:roll:.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:08:35 AM »
But in all reality, how often do members fight fires FROM boats.. ??

CFS would really only need a policy for fire related operations from land...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
But in all reality, how often do members fight fires FROM boats.. ??

CFS would really only need a policy for fire related operations from land...

In reality how many CBR incidents does CFS attend ...... but there are policies.

I guess CFS has previous fought fires from and in boats - including using them for scrub/grass fires along the rivers edges, where access to the area on fot is not possible, boat fires in and around the lakes and also some off the coast line - probally a higher probability of fire related operations from a boat then a full scale terrorism incident in CFs area .... then I guess theres also the issue of chemical spills in the waterways and alike - who do we operate them - in a gas suit floating doen the river :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »
What i was getting at tho, is I was unaware of any actual CFS boats.. Or brigades that have boats APPROVED for use?? As far as I knew their aren't any.. ?  So CFS can really say..  " If you can't fight it from land, then don't "..

Thats the end of them having to make a policy..

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 01:20:16 PM »
The safecom act says we can utilise anything we like to combat fire etc..... So if a brigade gets responded to a boat fire persons reported and there is a suitable vessel to take a crew with BA and some extinguishers to the emergency.... should they go or stay on dry land????

Tough call!!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:02:33 PM »
We had a large cabin cruiser go up a few years back on the river and from bank to bank is about 300-400 metres across and this boat was smack bang in the middle so we utilized the local sea rescue squadron who are basically private boats along with two crew, a hi volume pump and foam. Was a successful outing (for us not the boat :-o) But the problem is that there is no training for this. So we've organized our own training within the local marina's on old boats and thats fine but some defined SOP's and training by region or state would be better. :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
hmmmm...

Try brett pollini..  He was ex Navy Fire an Rescue so would def. have knowledge in the area...

Toast

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »
You would be surprised at how bouyant a firefighter in full PPE (PBI Gold) is. Many tests in the states have shown that they certainly dont sink THAT quickly and that the amount of trapped air in the PPE keeps you bobbing along quite well.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 07:35:57 AM »
do you hava  boat? if not then i would suggets you have no hope of getting PFDs...

i dont think there is a single marine vessel in the service.. so why would there be marine PPE???

**dont blast me** i am well aware that cfs still attends boat fires... but obviously just keep your feet dry..

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 07:59:34 AM »
There are several islands in lake alexandrina that catch fire occassionally. Thankfully most of the members work on the lake, and as such have access to boats and safety equipment.... just put the portable on the boat and away you go....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »
If you've ever had to help bring someone off a jetty in a marina or the like on a spinal board and people on both sides there isn't much room and the water is pretty deep below you, plus jetties and boats are extremely slippery, in my opinion PFD's would be a handy thing to have????
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »
they sure would be great for some of the brigades along the coast, i was just stating i dont thin kyoull ever get it from region or state (go brigade money?), but remember its also more crap packed into the truck.

it would be great if goolwa could get a fire boat even, considering how big the new marina is... to tell ya the truth, hindmarsh island could almost use a fire station now... that marina si one hell of an asset.

the thing about fire boats is....    theres only one in the state. Stn 27.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
they sure would be great for some of the brigades along the coast, i was just stating i dont thin kyoull ever get it from region or state (go brigade money?), but remember its also more crap packed into the truck.

it would be great if goolwa could get a fire boat even, considering how big the new marina is... to tell ya the truth, hindmarsh island could almost use a fire station now... that marina si one hell of an asset.

the thing about fire boats is....    theres only one in the state. Stn 27.

Tell me about it that marina is huge, there used to be a Hindmarsh Island brigade but was closed down around 16years or so ago, but response times aren't too bad though. One of our previus captains tried to get some grant money together to get us a boat and we were just laughed at, but that is how the cookie crumbles.

Talking to Andrew Patten when he was down recently for a fire i mention the PFD thing to him and he thought it was a great idea, but what is one persons opinion isn't the rests unfortunatly
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 11:35:32 AM »
If you've ever had to help bring someone off a jetty in a marina or the like on a spinal board and people on both sides there isn't much room and the water is pretty deep below you, plus jetties and boats are extremely slippery, in my opinion PFD's would be a handy thing to have????

Well, if they take as long as Flash hoods are to be complied, you will be waiting a few years .. !

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »
Maybe we'll get them in 40 years or so when i retire :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 06:50:11 PM »
Just call in a bomber :lol:

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »
Did you try Brett Pollini ??

I'm sure a quick chat with him will point you in the right direction. Contact him at [email protected] or call the State Training Centre.

Let us know how you go.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/boatfire.html

hmm.. he wishes he had a PFD...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »

hmm.. he wishes he had a PFD...

He wishes he was a bit more smarter i think :-o :oops:

Once again only in AMERICA :roll:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2006, 12:25:09 PM »
Only a few years ago CFS put out a Hazard Alert, telling of a CFS person who did near the same thing but on a pile of rubbish. Happens everywhere :roll:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 12:14:48 PM »

From the pager website.
12:57:56 06-02-06 SHQ: *URGMSG: CEDUNA SES RESPOND ASSIST SAAS, CEDUNA JETTY - TRANSFER PATIENT OFF SMALL BOAT, REQUIRE BOAT AND CREW AT JETTY > 6/02/2006 12:57:45

From a my limited understanding the volunteer emergency boat crews (sea rescue, SES, volunteer coast guard, etc) all come under the Volunteer Marine Rescue co-ordinator which is part of SES. See http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/aboutses/volmarinerescue.htm

The original incumberant is retiring and a new person has been appointed.

During the Eyre Peninsula fires, Port Lincoln SES boat was used at North Shields. Could the same be used on the lakes (eg with Victor Harbor-Goolwa Sea Rescue Squadron Inc.) or combined training with them ?

Maybe the equipment could be sourced via the new co-ordinator ?

Just some thoughts and ramblings....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything