Author Topic: Claim to Fame!  (Read 4229 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Claim to Fame!
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »
Hi all,
For some light hearted discussion! What Interesting or unusual things has your Brigade attended?
Our Brigade was asked by a stunt school in Adelaide to provide fire cover for a Chinese Who dares wins shoot in Meningie. It involved a Chinese contestant riding a jet ski thru a canal that was only the width of two jet skis whilst the sides of the canal were set alight.  She did make it all the way thru the 'burning walls' without falling off! She was so petrafied.  The film crew were so funny, they did all these close up action shots of us holding the branches and close ups of the flashing lights. So Meningies' claim to fame is being on Chinese TV!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Claim to Fame!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »
Many years ago when SES volunteers wore white overalls....a plane crash movie was filmed on a reserve in Panorama (southern suburb of Adelaide).

The film crew setup a fake tail section and cockpit section and emergency service vehicles drove with flahing lights on through fake smoke.

Was really a cheap way to provide more emergency vehicles and people who seemed to know what they were doing as background to the movie scene.

The Unit received free tickets and the best part of seeing the movie was trying to find the unit name in the credits....the movie was really bad. :cry:

But it was fun night as a social event.

The reserve has now been built upon by a retirement home.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

PF_

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:44:52 AM »
Have said this quite a lot, probably too much, sounds like bragging now :| but our brigade and Lyndoch went to mcLoeds Daughters shoot, and I got to wet down the grass before they set alight the motorbike.

(nothing to spectacular)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »
From the pager website:
12:41:56 01-02-06 Lyndoch 34 leaving Station 12:45 to attend Orlando Wines to assist with Jacobs Creek brand promotion, Brent, , 1/02/2006 12:41:57 PM
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:11:22 PM »
lyndoch sure are busy with there video shoots...

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »
Ahh, nothing as exciting.

Used to enjoy filling up the steam engines when they came up but what does a Brigade do with 300 cockle train tickets :-)

We have a car manufacturers test track here and they have contacted a few times to say they need us for fire cover while they film a commercial but it hasn't happened yet.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

PF_

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 04:49:41 PM »
Ahh, nothing as exciting.

Used to enjoy filling up the steam engines when they came up but what does a Brigade do with 300 cockle train tickets :-)

Auction them for funding, or use them :-P

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »
Ah believe me, we used them and used them :-)

Couldn't resell, raffle or auction them.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

PF_

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »
why cant they be raffled, is there some kind of law against it?

I have to stop hijacking threads into other topics, might get tried with some terrorist law....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 05:01:04 PM by P F »

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:26 PM »
Naracoorte brigade did a full day filming last year for a ABC doco that was aired in the asian pacific region on volunteers in the CFS. The day looked at volunteers and what roles the services does other than fire. All in all it was a great day but a good PR for the CFS overseas,not sure if it will be on local ABC but the brigade does have a copy of what was aired and its very good and not bad for a laugh...

On another note I used to belong to a CFA brigade whos tanker was in the bellbird show on the ABC long time ago.........

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 09:44:11 PM »
I think i flipped the bird to the camera behind a news reporter at the footy once......       Was wearing my CFS shirt... ..   ......   Does that count as a claim for fame ??

Only joking !!  RELAX !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 09:46:58 PM by strikeathird »