Author Topic: money to cover our costs  (Read 8913 times)

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
money to cover our costs
« on: February 02, 2006, 09:12:42 PM »
What do CFS volunteers think about recieving an allowance from the state government to cover fuel costs attending training and fire calls?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: money to cover our costs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »
no no no no no....

its called vollunteering.

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 09:24:34 PM »
I did not mean in the sense of members being paid for what they do, just to cover expenses. ie the rising cost of petrol.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »
i know what you mean...
this topics been bashed before though... do a qick search....

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:37:57 AM »
The mets get travel allowence when they move from one station to another.Are we not all under the same government?
I work for both fire services and i reckon things will need to change to entice more numbers to the CFS.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 05:44:21 AM »
:?

MFS are a paid service...

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:36 AM »
I think the best thing would be that we don't have to pay the Emergency Service Levey or we get a discount
eg 2 years 10 off
5 years 20 Off

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 07:42:52 AM »
If you attend training you are entitled to claim mileage..as a Capt I am allowed to claim phone calls but would be frightened to calculate how much I could claim for fuel, especially as I often respond in my own vehicle which then is used as a command vechicle...

But that is my contribution as a volunteer...if they start paying for everything it will be classified as an allowance and be taxable...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 09:37:25 AM »
Interesting....my wife does volunteer work for Child & Youth Health by visiting mums with young kids weekly...thus saving a nurse from visiting. She is allowed to claim mileage from home to the clients house. But does not get paid per hour, thus is a volunteer.

The SASESVA website has a link to survey which was being run by volunteeringaustralia.org. The survey is now closed but requested details on if fuel costs were impacting volunteers.

Part of our Units membership requirement requests you transport yourself on callouts/training to either the city or northern suburbs shed. I know this has prevented some un-employed people from joining because they do not have a reliable car.

You can claim mileage for state-run courses (which I have not) but not for Unit training or Unit callouts.

The discount on Emergency Services Levy would work if you own property or cars. I rent a house, so the discount for the property would not reach me.

I believe we need a system that will not kill any emergency volunteer organisation in extra cost, but also enable some of the 'cash short' people to volunteer.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 11:07:40 AM »
I as  A Volunteer would not want any type of payment but I sure would like to not  pay the emergency service tax,I would also like to see a tax break for workplaces that let there staff attend call outs during the day or night.. If we start to pay Volunteers then I feel that we will have people join for the wrong reasons...

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »
If you attend training you are entitled to claim mileage..as a Capt I am allowed to claim phone calls but would be frightened to calculate how much I could claim for fuel, especially as I often respond in my own vehicle which then is used as a command vechicle...

But that is my contribution as a volunteer...if they start paying for everything it will be classified as an allowance and be taxable...

EVERY member can claim expenses for telephone calls etc.  Just fill out a pink form with evidence of expenditure and hand it to the Group finance officer. In most cases the fuel reimbursment is for travel to meetings and not so often (if ever) for fire calls. Sure it will come out of group budget but i don't think many groups actually spend their entire budget at the end of year (or do they).
Well done to you for having a good volunteer ethic about the use of your own vehicle. Not sure on your circumstances, but maybe the Group could look at managing the Command car to suit your needs if you are using your own vehicle that much or try to obtain another Command car for the Group. Miracles do happen - eventually - i think :wink:

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
Blinky - great idea - tax break for "active volunteers.

I also do not agree with the payment model - if people are struggling with making local travel (to and from station for calls/training) maybe the local brigade/group needs to address this - car pool for training. Command Cars are there for distance travel.

The tax break is a positive that SAVFBA could look at - would obviously need a criteria - ie at the end of a financial year the brigade submits paperwork to the Govt - stating that member x met the criteria - maybe 50% training and 20 % calls or what ever is deemed appropriate???? This would save the 'new member' who joined for the tax advantage :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »
Blinky - great idea - tax break for "active volunteers.
The tax break is a positive that SAVFBA could look at - would obviously need a criteria - ie at the end of a financial year the brigade submits paperwork to the Govt - stating that member x met the criteria - maybe 50% training and 20 % calls or what ever is deemed appropriate???? This would save the 'new member' who joined for the tax advantage :evil:

It also means even MORE paperwork....... :x

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 03:19:40 PM »
Whats paperwork,we should all be used to the paperwork that is coming out......

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 03:43:59 PM »
One nearby Brigade Captain claims mileage etc and donates the money to his poorly funded Brigade.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
The mets get travel allowence when they move from one station to another.Are we not all under the same government?
I work for both fire services and i reckon things will need to change to entice more numbers to the CFS.

I agree with this! CFS has declining numbers etc etc.. Many studies on the emerging culture (younger generation) have shown a change in how people percieve community and what they are willing to do without remuneration.

I would like to see a service that meets community expectations as far as emergency response but also changing cultural expectations. And that may mean that in time as demands become greater with higher expectations and accountability, the Goverment may have to pay people to take that level of responsibility.

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 07:28:01 PM »
Too right Firefrog

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 11:31:21 AM »
I as  A Volunteer would not want any type of payment but I sure would like to not  pay the emergency service tax,I would also like to see a tax break for workplaces that let there staff attend call outs during the day or night.. If we start to pay Volunteers then I feel that we will have people join for the wrong reasons...

I Have To Agree With Every Thing You Said Their.  I Have The Emergency Service Tax Bill Sitting On My Fridge At The Moment.  It Would Be Money That I Would Rather Not Pay That Way We Could Have A Social Doo At The Station & Spend That Extra Money On Stuff For The Members.

As For The Work Places I Think Thats A Great Idea. My Work Place Has Been Quite Good, However I Know Of Someone Who Has Not Been So Lucky Recently.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 11:39:08 AM »
I would like to see a service that meets community expectations as far as emergency response but also changing cultural expectations. And that may mean that in time as demands become greater with higher expectations and accountability, the Government may have to pay people to take that level of responsibility.

This may open the door to retained persons - payed a retainer for services provided (to cover costs) Would be an interesting project for someone to investigate - how do we maintain a standard, what is it and who assess it, what are the competencies, what are the training levels, how many stations need this, how many people, how many calls must they attend etc and finally, is the CFS Group interested in funding it - after all, all the cfs monies, given by government are divided to caver all aspects of CFS work - what will drop off to pay for this and who will administer it - more staff to administer means less money to go around, more vollies to administer means less who are wiling to take on the work load and responsability - vicious circle!

MFS country command (who have retained fire fighters) have trouble with crews during business hours - being released from their primary work place - the balance is $$$$ versus service, hence my suggestion of tax breaks that benefit all
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »
I don't think money would change alot of things. Firstly, CFS staff get no where near paid what they are worth, so why should the money for being a "CFS Retained Firey" be any diffrent. Secondly, in the areas most affected by diminishing numbers of volunteers are those where they just don't have the people in the communities as they used to, younger generations leave country towns and move to regional areas for employment, leaving the older generation with more work and less time to spare. Most farmers would rather just fight a fire with their own farm fire fighting unit (CFS insurance covers you and your private unit), Thirdly i know of two towns that have both CFS and MFS retained, the CFS brigades are growing and the MFS stations strugle for staff?
Del

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »
MMMMM good point!!!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 10:49:06 AM »
I don't mind it costing me to travel to incidents or other expenses but there needs to be a cut off point...it usually costs me about $150 per year in phone calls, if this is the case, I don't claim BUT if we have a really busy time and my phone bill costs me that in 3 mths...

Everyone considers it part of their community service to cost them..employers are keener to allow volunteers to leave during work hours compared to a retained firefighter..almost like double dipping..

It's the one thing that keeps our two services so far apart..I like being a volunteer..not retained

rescue5271

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 06:39:45 PM »
Not sure if people know but the CFS has now stopped paying brigade admin and group admin.and other positions that where getting paid because some groups where paying lots of money and others where not getting any money..

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 07:43:46 AM »
people were getting paid for admin??????!!!!????

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »
"honorarium"

code... for ripping off local brigades.