Author Topic: Ordering of PBI Gold  (Read 88806 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering of PBI Gold
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
hicksflat - that is a very interesting post

you still have explained very little behind the actual reasoning of the group and why they were so reluctant to issue it, other than paperwork. and judging by your post they have supposedly recieved there gloves and are now issuing it without the said paperwork anyway? so i guess the delay was pointless then, as the gloves only took a week after they got off there asses and sized firies up for them...

you know for a fact that it offers a higher level of protection for the firies at structure jobs (which is its sole purpose in CFS)
do I?
the protection offered by PBI over nomex is superior in its ability to protect from radiant heat and also the firies gettin steamed... the gear also has a number of little nice bits n pieces that help to cover your filtered, including a collar that doesnt flip flop around and is actually high enough to cover your whole neck and thumb hooks to actually help protect your wrists properly!!! but you should know this as i get the impression that your a paid firie (or at least wish you were) and possibly wear it regularly.

short of walking around in some kind of futuristic bubble i am not sure what would protect you from a falling wall, or falling through the floor or off a ladder... so perhaps stop coming up with rubbish to try to make yourself sound intelligent as it just gives the opposite effect.

All the group is doing is putting firies at more risk than necessary.
No the line is the same as it has ever been if you don't feel you have the equipment or training to do a task safely then don't do it. You can be injured and die in nomex you can be injured and die in PBI. There is a wide spectrum of risks many of them larger then externally generated heat.
firies are at more risk than necessary in nomex than PBI at structure fires. this point is obvious. whether you are inside a structure or just doign a surround and drown the gear offers a higher level of protection from the radiant heat, and also covers all parts of your body properly.

also i am interested... why would a mt lofty firie be wearing his PBI to a strike team?
Who said it was a male? In this case both genders were involved.

Anyway you ask them. (and this was a strike team they sent to Mt Gambier) but you see them at other grass fires wearing it as was photographed by the Advertiser a few months back. Not that Lofty fire fighters are the only ones.
Have to admit i dont particularly care what the lofty group are doing and fail to see how much the efforts of the so called "MFS-wannabes" and posers really matters, as i have no interest in wearing it to any call other than structure related which is why it has been supplied.

Also I think you will find that business interest is a supplier of PBI gold as well
the business i believe you are referring to has nothing to do with PBI, nor did it get the CFS tender for flashhoods (i believe).... perhaps they are supplying the gloves to the group, i dont know.

Not rolling out PBI has not lead to the purchase of any extra nomex and never will
so the large stockpile of nomex came from where??? sure wasnt bought to go straight on any hooks at stations... id say it definitely lead to more nomex being bought  :wink:

Also you could run the line that why is CFSHQ issuing proban grass fire uniforms when you would know for a fact nomex offers a "higher level of protection" to use your words. (I actually think CFSHQ may have back flipped on this and may go for nomex for grass fire uniforms as it wears better and therefor has lower life costs)
the nomex treatment may be superior to the Proban treatment, however the nomex gear in use currently by CFS does not conform to australian standards, whereas the proban does.

not to worry though hicksflat - I'm actually in the process of a formal letter to region re the PBI
I hope you were going to asking them to provide the Sturt group with the simple documentation the group has been asking for, for the last 6 months or so.
actually it was gonna be more along the lines of why has my personal issue gear been sitting in the sturt store rooms for the past 4 or so months, please explain. the gear doesnt belong to the group in any way so why have they been holding onto it, the group store is just a central delivery point for LION apparel.

Well this issue is now dead
I fail to see how the issue is now dead...

@ ATH
The fact is this whole PBI topic is a fan boy issue. "I want it as the people who get paid and I urn to be wear it"
actualyl mate ATH does get paid to wear it.... but you know that cos your a long time reader first time poster? (or poser???)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:44:21 PM by medevac »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2007, 08:05:19 AM »
Anyone hear a whip crack :-o :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
my brigade only has Proban and PBI and you only get nomex if you are waiting for BA

Are you guys saying that we should be issued with nomex for things like MVA even if we are not BA?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »
no

hicksflat and myself are refering to nomex, becasue the whole of sturt group BA or not, wear it for everything at the moment.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2007, 10:21:16 AM »
last volunteer had a table showing PBI to be used for everything except rural.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2007, 10:41:29 AM »
thanks That's what I thought PBI for everything but rural.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
last volunteer had a table showing PBI to be used for everything except rural.

that wasnt an SOP or anything though.... just a guide of what it is approved for.
it would be downright stupid to wear it to a prang on a 40degree day (or even a 22degree day ;) )

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
The table in the volunteer is what standards PBI is approved for - it doesn't mean you can wear it to everything. Check with your Region as it seems each region has a different  view on the wearing of PBI gold :roll:

Offline Hicksflat14

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2007, 08:37:29 AM »
OK there are a fair number of follow ups to my follow up. So here goes in no specific order replies to those that justify a reply.

would it be possible to share some of the sturt groups reservations

Well I'm sure that each person in the Sturt group management committee had their own specific take on it. But the consensus of the elected committee was to hold off on it. So really the explanation doesn't need to go much further than that. Should members of that group have any questions about why or which way their elected captain voted on the topic should be directed to that captain who would know the full story.

There would have been multiple lengthy discussions covering many many points so really I'm only speculating here on why they took the point of view they did from what I hear.

Firstly there may have been consideration that there has been NO suggestion that the current uniform used by the Sturt group (nomex) has not performed adequately in training and operation. To my knowledge within the Sturt group there has been no injuries or near misses (or even suggestion there of) have been made that the current nomex was inadequate in anyway at anytime. So the urgency of getting it out there may have been tagged reasonably low and it was better to have the full story on the use, operation and management of the uniform BEFORE rolling it out. As seen in the latest posts on SAFF you lot after having the uniform for 6 months or so are still arguing over what you should or should not wear it too.
Indeed mengcfs suggested "Check with your Region as it seems each region has a different view on the wearing of PBI gold" to which the Sturt group did in writing and did not get a reply. The more cynical in the Sturt group management may have considered the issuing of the uniform more politically then operationally based. We all remember Mike Rann in front of two koalas (the choppers) with two fire fighters (one male, one female) announcing this to the public just before the election right (before there had even been and announcement or significant discussion inside the CFS). I believe there is still question of this uniform got a critical assessment and the thumbs up by any of the state technical committees.

Secondly without a flash hood and structural gloves the PBI provides minimal extra protection. I believe the Sturt group lobbied very hard on both of these points. Indeed all the external heat issues logged with the nomex uniform (mainly from the compartment course) would not have been mitigated by the material or cut of the PBI. Indeed these issues continued after PBI was introduced (to the compartment course). So the thinking of the Sturt group may have been that without the complete package (PBI, gloves, hood) you are getting minimal extra protection against external heat. One hold up may have been getting approval, sizing, tender and supply of this additional PPE to obtain the protection PBI claims to have against external heat sources.

Medevac buying riggers gloves for personal use in the garden from banner backwood may take a week or so to do. But to obtain the correct glove for structural fire fighting takes time. You need to get a number of gloves from different suppliers. Then these demo models need to go to the brigades for comment. Lets say one week at each station there is 5 weeks there. Then you need to collate the feedback and have consensus from the management committee on the best glove considering cost. Then you need to get sizing pairs and size everyone up. Lets say another week at each station. Then you may need to put out a tender for the supply of the selected glove. Then the gloves may need to be shipped in then there is Christmas. Then people may have other things to do like combat large fires. To say it only takes a week is just foolish. If it did only take a week you would probably be on here complaining about how the Sturt group didn't give brigades a say and how they selected the wrong glove and it cost too much. (Which you will probably do anyway)

Thirdly groups have had it drummed in to them the purchase or modification of equipment has to have an adequate risk assessment, completed, accepted and filed. The group may have believe it was following policy by awaiting this paper work on what is front line life critical PPE. Seems odd that the state would buy $4M of the stuff without doing the mandatory paper work groups need to do for something much less or life critical doesn't it? (Like if someone in the heat on an election just announced it for spin). Some of you will continue to run the line "(whine) but state said it was good". Safety is everyones responsibility.

Fourthly the group may have been considering racking and storage options in the station for the proper stowage. Some issues may have been identified with the strength of the current hanging hooks and how to have easy access to two sets of uniforms without having trip hazards such as crew bags all over the place.

Fifthly, some may have considered a uniform just that. Not one person has this and another person has that. Nomex is currently used across the board in the Sturt group. This simplifies equipment management and a conformity among members. (I know your all going to have a shot at this and I agree this would not be a particularly strong argument)

Sixthly, the group may have been waiting on further info from state on how cleaning, repair, annual inspection and replacement would be funded. Why would a group accept an extra cost with no extra funding particularly in light of the first point that the PPE currently in service was adequate.

Seventh the group may have been after more info generally from state on maintenance and management (other then the washing instructions on the
label) of the uniform and SOP on its use.

So generally the Sturt group may have felt state was excessively hasty giving out equipment (if they even had a choice) without addressing the issues that are involved in what is a very important bit of equipment. But thats all speculation based on what I hear back from Sturt management meetings. I also hear that other than flash hoods and gloves (gloves decided on by the group and purchased from the groups funds) state has not addressed any of the above. So now that the gear has been given out I would assume that the captains voted to distribute the gear anyway. Why that was I don't know. So personally there is better justification on not handing it out then why they eventually chose to do so. But I can tell you one thing it would have had nothing to do with posts on SAFF.

This holds off parallels that of other CFSHQ roll outs that the Sturt group has held off on until it was done properly or things further clarified. So don't think the PBI was the first or last instance of this. I think the word for it is prudent.

I hope that give some insight (rightly or wrongly) of only some of the issues that may have been involved for those people who asked "why".

Now on to you medevac.

I was going to grab your quote about buying the group line and how the group officers are proud of me but you edited it out before I grabbed it.

On the first point maybe I used some critical assessment of my own. Not just jumping on the PBI gold fanboy group think line that bought Mike Ranns election spin line (I hope you ended up voting for him). Can you cry "But I want it now" any more like a child?

I don't recall saying that I agreed or disagreed with the groups line on this (but you probably read between the lines correctly). I do support a groups right to make such a decision. I think without groups and people at the coal face making decisions, the CFS, its members and the community would be much worse off.

On the second point I can only hope that my colleagues at any point on the chain of command are proud of me (well probably not for posting on a forum). I would have thought it was something everyone would aspire to (having people be proud of them not the posting on a forum part). I would like to think my commitment was respected by those within the CFS and the hundreds of people I assist every year who don't even know me. Like anyone I make mistakes but over all I'm proud of the work I do and hope to be able to do it for as long as I can. I believe the Sturt group should be proud of its progressive approach on may fronts. So their is a lot to be proud of.

the protection offered by PBI over nomex is superior in its ability to protect from radiant heat and also the firies gettin steamed...

You know because you read it on the box right? And that it may well be but as pointed out there are many risks other then radiant heat. Ive had no problem with the neck line on the nomex that would be solved with the PBI cut. But hoods may solve what issue there is; be it with the PBI or the nomex.

but you should know this as i get the impression that your a paid firie (or at least wish you were) and possibly wear it regularly.

I don't know if thats a complement or not. Either way you know the Sturt group catch phase. (If I remember correctly from back in the day) "Professionalism is a state of mind not a rate of pay" or something like that.

short of walking around in some kind of futuristic bubble i am not sure what would protect you from...

Indeed look at the risks (and the injury stats) and look at the extra protection the PBI provides. For the extra cost and extra risk of internally generated heat injuries I don't think it stacks up. But thats a point of contention.

firies are at more risk than necessary in nomex than PBI at structure
fires

Once again because you read it on the box right? or was is Mr Rann's press release? Look at the stats more fire fighters are treated for and put at risk by internally generated heat/heatstroke. Something that the pbi gold gear is notorious for increasing not decreasing. I think you even admit it.

it would be downright stupid to wear it to a prang on a 40degree day (or even a 22degree day Wink )

Oh yes there you go admitting that internally generated heat is worse in PBI then the nomex and I know that more people are treated for heat stroke from internal heat then that of burns from external heat. So why would anyone make a major problem worse? So I refute you risk claim, based on that you are looking at only the flame risk not all the risks.

so the large stockpile of nomex came from where??? sure wasn't bought to go straight on any hooks at stations... id say it definitely lead to more nomex being bought

What do you call a stockpile? There is a surprisingly high turn over of the stuff involved when your talking about looking after some 120 fire fighters, plus the need to have different sizes in stock. etc. So any group probably has a fair bit in storage as involved with running any group equipment store.

The purchase to which you may be referring had nothing to do with the PBI issue. Remember you will still have nomex when you get PBI and you will/should be wearing the nomex to 80% of calls. PBI IS NOT A REPLACEMENT TO NOMEX it is a supplement. So if you'd say it definitely led to the purchase Id say your definitely wrong and need to improve your logical assessment and critical thought process. If that purchase didn't take place you would most likely be going back to wearing proban and kicking up a stink about it on SAFF.

the nomex treatment may be superior to the Proban treatment

good thing the Sturt group has and issues nomex then isn't it?

however the nomex gear in use currently by CFS does not conform to australian standards

Neither does your house, your car or just about anything you own.
Standards change every couple of years and some times yearly. Just because its not to the current standard doesn't mean it needs to be chucked. More generally just because something improves doesn't make the previous thing is defective. Also note there is a difference between meeting the current standard, tested to the current standard and certified to the current standard. My understanding is that the current Nomex is only not to the standard as it doesn't have the two tone reflective striping and the manufacturer wasn't ISO9000 certified at the time. Anything other than that is all to do with certification paperwork and test requirements. But as mentioned in the previous post CFSHQ is likely to head the nomex direction. Its just a matter of certification taking place (which may have happened by now).

why has my personal issue gear been sitting in the sturt store rooms

Its not your personal gear its the property of the state. It was measured up for you, but its not yours and its not to be used as you see fit. Like any CFS equipment it is to be used when appropriate, in accordance with State, Group and Brigade guidelines. The why question is answered above.

I fail to see how the issue is now dead...

I don't know what you are getting at here. If this means, how this issue was dealt with is going to determine your vote at the next brigade election then you have the right to do so.

actualyl mate ATH does get paid to wear it.... but you know that cos your a long time reader first time poster?

Yes I know that ath is retained MFS at Mt Gambier. I don't know if he is still a CFS member at compton? If he is, does he have 3 sets of PBI?

As to a couple of questions from other people

Anyone hear a whip crack

I cant tell over the sound of medevac's banjo emanating from the valley.

Are you guys saying that we should be issued with nomex for things like MVA even if we are not BA?

Yes. Better protection, more comfortable and (from what ive been
hearing) cheaper in the long term as it wares better (at least in frequent responder brigades)

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2007, 01:33:49 PM »
Quick Run Medevac
CORO INFO - PBI GOLD IS IN THE STATION PLEASE DO NOT TAKE UNTIL ISSUED AND SIGNED FOR, THOSE WHO HAVE RECENTLY COMPLETED BA NEED TO BE RESIZED AND SENT TO R1 FOR ORDERING- CORO LT1 :lol:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2007, 05:42:15 PM »
very interesting post there hicksflat, with some very interesting points... i still believe the group has gone along the wrong lines, although you are obviously happy with the way PBI has been handled. you obviously know who i am and dislike me, but i have no idea who you are.... i will however be looking to find the most offensive person in the group and im sure it will be you  :wink:

fire03rescue - that is extremely mature, im sure you will be the first in line at blackwood when they give it out friday. i however have no idea when i will actually be able to get a chance to organise mine.

anyway, this will be my last post re; PBI. although im keen to read everyone elses posts.

Medevac

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »
Ohh Medevac, I allready have my PBI Gold and I have  used it.
You are so close but so far.
Next time I see you at a fire I will say hello to you !!

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2007, 10:34:12 AM »
When you look at it, sturt group don't go to that many going structure fires maybe thats why there was a lack of near misses related to heat and burns at structure fires. Our group attends alot and have had several near misses due to the nomex and lack of flash hoods, 3 that come to mind are someone burnt their knee entering a house fire when the carpet melted to their leg, even though there was no fire in that room. A firefighter burnt their neck from embers falling down the collar and someone burnt their cheek from radiant heat. All would have been avoided with the current gear.

Therefor our group have been pushing for better structural turnout gear and all firefighters have structure gloves and flash hoods.

We also have recently had someone get slight burns to the lower leg even though they had PBI on due to CFS not having structure boots and the heat from the ground radiating up the pants.

Not that i am saying PBI was the best answer but thats not my choice, atleast it's safer for offensive structure fire fighting.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »
I have to agree that I believe PBI to be a superior element of PPE compared to L3 Nomex. - (When referring to offensive / defensive structural firefighting).. When it comes to undertaking Road Crash Rescue, the last thing I would want to be wearing is a full kit of PBI..

I almost find myself scratching at the walls when I hear of people wearing it on rural strike teams and the like.. Obviously some un-educated decisions were made that day! .. (But if once at the scene, they were tasked to undertake asset protection or structural firefighting, that would be a perfect time to have the gear).. But how many sets of gear will crews end up having to take? (Thats another topic on its own)..

I know everyone will have their own preferences.. My *personal* opinion, and going on my *personal* experience, I would choose PBI (with structural gloves, boots and flashood), over Nomex with L3 liner..(including S/gloves, hood and boots also).  But that is just my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own..

I must admit, seeing crews at a job with a mix match of turnout gear looks less professional, but we have to have a happy medium.. & if the crews undertaking certain duties are wearing PPE which will better protect them, then i'm not too fussed how they look, as long as they are properly protected.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2007, 11:22:08 AM »
I'm Just Happy I Final Got Mine After A Year.  Came With The Flash Hood, However The Name Tag Was MIA.

From What I Heard A Bunch Of Guys Who Got There Gear In The Last Batch Also Missed Out On There Name Tags.  Anyone Know What's Going On.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2007, 11:24:12 AM »
My brigade has just recently recieved a batch of name tags for there PBI gear.

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2007, 09:15:30 AM »
 I feel sorry for you guys that have to push issues like PBI gold with your dinosaur Captains and LT's that just worry about scrub fires. If you got B.A. operators no questions should be asked, they need it. The majority of jobs my brigade attends are structure fires and M.V.A.'s. The old level three pants just dont cut it at some hot jobs.

As for the wearing of PBI gold we wear it to any job's that the appliance we have goes for urban jobs. I know its probably not the best thing for R.C.R but we have had it before when we are cleaning up at a prang and get responded to a structure fire. MFS wear it for both types of jobs no problems. In Summer if we go to one of these job's i just put my level 1 gear in a bag in a locker just in case. We are not allowed to wear it to rural jobs i saw one guy from a neighbouring brigade and thought what a tool!

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Well i did BA at the start of May. Place you put bets on how long it will take to get to me. the instructors thought 6 weeks yet i'm not holding my breath.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
I'm betting not before the start of the near financial year - at least....

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Have 1 in our brigade that has been waiting nearly 7 months.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2007, 03:40:06 PM »

Chase it up, thats B/S !

- Bitten, have you been sized up? .. 6 weeks would sound about fair if you have been sized up..

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »

Chase it up, thats B/S !

Have done: Answer is it's coming...
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline snr1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2007, 05:15:33 PM »

Chase it up, thats B/S !

Have done: Answer is it's coming...

Thats what we are kept being told!!!!
One of our members was sized up initally when orders were taken,when pbi was first introduced & he is still waiting for his set.
Every time we inquire about it the answer is the same!
IT'S COMING!!!!!

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »
- Bitten, have you been sized up? .. 6 weeks would sound about fair if you have been sized up..

Got sized up on the course

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
Wish they would make up their mind as to what to wear it to and what not to wear it to,it's strange how each region is differant in telling its Volunteers what jobs you can wear it too...tell me how many people would where PBI gold to a MVA on a hot 35 day or better still coming back from a fixed alarm are paged onto a scrub fire and your in PBI gold. If they want us to wear it then there needs to be uniformed rules on what jobs to wear it to across the state and not regions making up there own rules.
blinky bill
my view only

anything