Author Topic: Duplication of pager messages  (Read 6720 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Duplication of pager messages
« on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:50 PM »
Why is it that particularly on TFB days there is an influx of duplicate pager messages? In 'most cases' SHQ send a state wide page, then each region sends a page and then even Brigades send one.

SHQ: SIG INC: TOTAL FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN DECLARED FOR 16/2/06 IN THE NWP, WC, EEP, LEP, FL, MN, MLR, YP, MUR, USE, LSE. ON-CALL STAFF CONFIRM. < 15/02/2006 16:28:00

R1HQ: TOTAL FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN DECLARED FOR THURS 16/02/06 IN THE MLR AND MUR FIRE BAN DISTRICTS FROM RO PATTEN 15/02/2006 4:33:59 PM

TOTAL FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN DECLARED FOR THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16 FOR THE WEST COAST, EASTERN EYRE AND LOWER EYRE PENINSULA FIRE BAN DISTRICTS. R6HQ OPS 15/02/2006 4:41:40 PM

R4HQ FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR TOMORROW (THURSDAY 16TH FEB) IN THE NORTH WEST PASTORAL, FLINDERS & MID NORTH FIRE BAN DISTRICTS. 15/02/2006 4:46:29 PM

SHQ: REGION 3 INFO: TOTAL FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN DECLARED 16/02/06 FOR MOUNT LOFTY RANGES, MURRAY LANDS AND UPPER SOUTH EAST > 15/02/2006 16:48:58

SHQ: TOTAL FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN DECLARED FOR 16/2/06 IN THE MID NORTH, MT LOFTY RANGRS, YK PEN, MURLANDS. - FROM R2HQ. < 15/02/2006 16:51:44

In some cases the Regional pager messages have been sent from SHQ. Surely our OCO's have enough to do!

Now don't get me wrong, more info the better right! but is their a protocol on such things. The trend seems to be SHQ send a page (sometimes to staff, sometimes state wide) then Regions send a page with their respective fire ban districts.
What are other peoples thoughts?
(I must be bored picking on things like this)!!!

strikeathird

Re: Duplication of pager messages
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:34:15 PM »
They might be going to individuals, like Regional officers, Air ops teams, teams that need to be put on standby..

MIght be sent to a group officer, who sends it tothe rest of the group..

Who knows...

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
they're not duplicates but I don't know why SHQ (say) can't send a page
to all the region maildrops then oncall staff specifically if they want.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:30:09 AM »
they're not duplicates but I don't know why SHQ (say) can't send a page
to all the region maildrops then oncall staff specifically if they want.

Good point, i spose we are not sure exactly where the pagers are going, but like Darius pointed out (above) why can't SHQ just send a state wide page to vollies and then one to staff for confirmation. Might not be as much "oh gees, there it goes again - same message."
I guess we will never know!!

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:08:37 AM »
Hi All,

The addresses are going to the region i think. Well i get the Region 2 one anyway. We dont get the statewide one like all the Chiefs do anymore (mailbox that is).

Sam

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »
Maybe we close down the pager site so it doesn't worry us so much ??

:roll:

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 11:24:03 AM »
but what would i do with the spare 23 hours it leaves in my day?  :wink:

We need to take it for what it is. An informal have a look at this, have a chuckle, or wonder what the deal is.... site.

ask questions about it by any means but dont get upset about what you see..... (not saying anyone was)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 11:46:41 AM »
Quick question.
How many people get a TFB message from SHQ and then one from Region.
Myself, used to, but the last few TFB days just the one message from Region (albeit thru SHQ).

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 03:24:31 PM »
Think it was last week it came HALF way thru the day.. Of the TFB ! (From region)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 05:50:47 AM »
ahhh - they did say sorry for the late notice though..... maybe they were having a bad day!  :wink: :roll:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 07:10:16 AM »
from my knowledge.. and interpretation;

SHQ actually send the TFB page to a certain group of staff members ONLY, this includes cheif, state/regional officers, media, OCOs, etc...

the region then (depepnding on wether there are any bans in there region) will decide wether they want it sent to there region or not. SHQ can do this but some regions do it themselves.

so yes, there is a procedure followed.

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 10:56:52 AM »
ahhh - they did say sorry for the late notice though..... maybe they were having a bad day!  :wink: :roll:

Well.. bad days can cost alot more than a late pager message !

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 11:46:06 AM »
Have known of incidents where Brigades having the same name are responded - Unfortunately Brigade X is responded to incident Y - 600km away. Mistakes do happen and they are very quickly rectified. Our OCO's are under extreme amounts of pressure at stages and they do a fantastic job.
Back to the topic at hand......................

strikeathird

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 02:55:31 PM »
think u got it mixed up mengcfs.. R1 Hq (like, the ones who take over on TFB , or big days), are not the SOC OCO's..  They are different..

Wasnt having a go at the SHQ Oco's.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:21:29 PM »
No not confused, I know what the difference is between a Region, SOCC an OCO and a Regional Officer. What i am saying is that when SOCC send a page for a TFB, why don't they just send a state wide page rather than having (in some cases) the Region (after they have received the staff page) contact SOCC to send another page to the vollies in the relevant Region(s). Region 3 is a prime example, rather than a Regional Officer send a page (physically) from the Region, they contact SOCC to send it for them. Surely they can send a page and not trouble the OCO's who have more stuff to do in preperation for the TFB.
I don't know but it may be easier to send one page to everybody. Even tho the page says 'On call staff confirm' surely the vollies know to ignore that, then if any other relevant people (AAS, AMR, Air crew etc) need more info that can be done seperately. Just my thoughts.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 04:43:51 PM »
SO... although your from meningie (??) you want to know about fire bans in places like the west coast, lower eyre pen, mid north, north east or west pastoral... etc etc....

maybe it should be up to regions to page them out to the region themselves, but i dont see a problem with the current system, if the OCOs have two seconds to do the regions a favour then im sure they will

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 07:56:55 AM »
Well, I have to say I dont mind finding out whats happening in the rest of the state.....

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 08:15:54 AM »
SO... although your from meningie (??) you want to know about fire bans in places like the west coast, lower eyre pen, mid north, north east or west pastoral... etc etc....

maybe it should be up to regions to page them out to the region themselves, but i dont see a problem with the current system, if the OCOs have two seconds to do the regions a favour then im sure they will

Point taken. Personally i don't care how many messages come thru, just thought it may save some people (OCO's) some time, but after all, the CFS is about helping each other :-D. And yeah it might be a heads up if we know when there is going to be a bugger of a day somewhere - for strike teams etc.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48:39 AM »
unfortunately i think a majority of people just get peed off when there pager goes off for a message that has no impact on them...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:19 AM »
your probably right medevac.... after all Im only 1 person.....

strikeathird

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 10:06:53 AM »
Ill be honest, things like TFB's, even out of ur fireban area, are kinda important..  But when u get 8 pages a day.. Various brigade truck off line, various brigade truck driver training.. Group Equip officers, meeting, Group training, meeting, logistics meeting.. Etc Etc.. they do get a little 'menacing'...

The wonders of the little black box !   :evil:

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »
I'm with you on that one strikathird. If it keeps going off about  things that are not relevant to people they are more likely to sit it top of the microwave and leave it there.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »
Probally not a bad idea - state notification of a fire ban for populated areas - ie if your in R1, then the Mid North and Murraylands might interest you, coz if they get a big fire, you may be responded on a strike team - good at least for a heads up :-)

I remember when SHQ did the weather broadcasts in the morning (0745???)and night (1845) on VHF 2 and VHF3 that covered the state, with the district forecasts, FDI's and alike - was a fantastic service and a lot better than the weather reports on TV with the added bonus that it gave you a heads up, plus if you didn't want to hear it you turned off the radio or scanner or just ignored them :-P!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

probie_boy

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
 :evil:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:58:27 PM by Probes »