Author Topic: Operation NOMAD  (Read 5947 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Operation NOMAD
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:27:41 AM »
Have any Brigades been contacted by their local/nearest Police station regarding someone in their area that is a suspect for operation NOMAD?  I had a call last week from one of our local Police officers informing me that someone had just moved to the area and to be vigilant. We also had three new people attend the station on Monday night wanting to join (awesome for us) and the Police officer was there asell. Good Policing on his behalf to give me a phone call. I guess this would have been picked up in the Criminal history check.

strikeathird

Re: Operation NOMAD
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:09:28 AM »
I believe operation NOMAD tracks 'known' arsonists, their activities on TFB and fire danger days, and also where they live etc..

Recently, a unit was set up in the hills with number plate recognition device which scans number plates as you drive plast, and if a known arsonist went past it would flag it.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:09:43 PM »
Good idea the number plate thing. Because we had some new people interested, I think our local policeman was thinking along the lines of a pyromaniac or something.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »
We had a known arsonist move from the Tailem bend area to the finniss area a few years back, he "allegedly" lit around 10-12 grass fires, a hay shed, a shed in Goolwa, and then he walked into the Goolwa police staion to ask for a firearms permit and when asked by the local police for a reason he quite plainly said "so i can shoot cops" and when turned down he came back later that night and "allegedly" threw a molotov cocktail at the cop shop causing a few thousand dollars damage.

He was linked to all fires but was never prosecuted for any of them because of the way the arson law is set out. The brigades weren't warned of his presence until the last couple of fires he lit because he'd gone from lighting grass fires and moved into lighting fires in the urban area.

Personally i think it is a good idea that the brigade is warned if there is such a person in the area but for obvious reasons their name and address are kept confidential "PITY" :evil:.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »
No confidentiality here, our local copper (who i must say is a personal friend of mine anyway) quite freely gave me the name of said person, however i certaintly wouldn't sprout it all over town. I haven't even given any personal details to the Brigade.

Offline canman

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Recently, a unit was set up in the hills with number plate recognition device which scans number plates as you drive plast, and if a known arsonist went past it would flag it.

Who does the recognition device notify when you drive past??

lol

K
Extinguish this.......

PF_

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 03:25:38 PM »
"so I can shoot cops"

Shouldnt they have arrested him on the spot and questioned.  Thats endangering life and death threats.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 07:56:25 AM »
"so I can shoot cops"

Shouldnt they have arrested him on the spot and questioned.  Thats endangering life and death threats.

You gotta be kidding me the local cop just laughed and told him where to go, one of our local cops has rocked up to a few jobs we've had with some extremely hostile town folk and he's not even wearing his belt with all his goodies on it or anything, god help him if someones got a knife or attacks him or soething.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 08:22:55 AM »
mmm yeh in most parts of the world thats mroe than enough to land ya in jail...

so many people are too complacent about these things...

probie_boy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »
its hilarious watching cops at fires... especially when they catch the f***ers that lit it. In early January 2005, before black tuesday, there was a fire up in the back of crafers. it was a bad fire day and was deliberately lit. when blacking out, a guy from my brigade saw two detectives coming out the bush with two young guys in cuffs. one of the coppers had a pushbike, obviously the kid's, and when he got to the sealed road where they were parked on he just chucked the bike on the road. like full threw it down with force. funny.

On the plate recognition thing, i don't think its that effective because only a handful of patrol cars are actually equipped i believe. feel free to prove me wrong.

PF_

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:15 PM »
One hot and windy day, back early Jan or late December I went for a drive in Barossa Goldfields and there was a cop behind me, he turned off and went into the bush and I went round another way.  Saw him again going the other way and he had a long hard look at me and the car I was driving, prolly taking details in case theres a fire.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »
One hot and windy day, back early Jan or late December I went for a drive in Barossa Goldfields and there was a cop behind me, he turned off and went into the bush and I went round another way.  Saw him again going the other way and he had a long hard look at me and the car I was driving, prolly taking details in case theres a fire.

Great to hear - proactive policing. Makes our life easier and if they are out and about should act as a good deterant.

Now they have all your details on their database :evil: :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

PF_

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:35 PM »

Great to hear - proactive policing. Makes our life easier and if they are out and about should act as a good deterant.

Now they have all your details on their database :evil: :evil:

Thats fine by me, as long as they dont find my dope crop and illegal stash f weapons..... err I mean... :oops:

:-P

anything