Poll

How effective are intruder alarms and keypad access systems?

Alarm is very good, has saved us before.
5 (45.5%)
Not bad if you can remember your PIN.
3 (27.3%)
Still prefer the good ol' key.
2 (18.2%)
Sick of the pager going off due to moths.
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Intruder alarms  (Read 9302 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Intruder alarms
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:44:05 PM »
Hi all,
Just interested to see how effective intruder alarms and or keypad access systems are in relation to a fire station. Of course this will differ from location to location. I see alot of 'Intruder alarm activated' type messages on the pager site, interested to know if these are genuine or just creepy crawlees setting the system off. Also, even tho the security systems are connected to the pagers, does this also alert Police via a monitored set up?

strikeathird

Re: Intruder alarms
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 01:56:44 PM »
Intruder alarm goes off, silent alarm. Activates Brigade page with CFSRES tone, (tone 7) with "Station Intruder Alarm Activated".

Duty Senior and Officer are required to attend station, plus any lonely stragglers that have nothing better to do at 3am..  (Or more often than not, didnt READ their pagers !!! )

Security company are notified by the alarm/page.... Police not directly called by alarm system.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:03:37 PM »
Ill abstain on the grounds that we dont have an alarm system yet.....
Soon though.... will have to remember.... that will be the hard bit.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »
Have both alarm and keys :-D

The only issue is that it's a generic alarm code - easy for all to remember but an issue as it's hard to track who comes and goes and then when items go missing ...........
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:03:51 PM »
Most alarms these days cater for at least 50 codes to be pre programmed, that way everyone has their own code. You can also get systems that have a data card which will then tell you who used their code and at what time and day. If the system is monitored the company can also tell you this. For those who like something fancy there is always the fingerprint option too.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »
Yea - ours does accept multiple codes and then you can add a card if more than 50 are required - but that would require agreement from all that individual codes is a good idea and that type of common sense hasn't occurred yet :roll: Took long enough to get the alarm working again, can't rush things
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

probie_boy

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 08:13:14 AM »
we have alarm and keys. However we didn't turn our alarm on for 2 years because mice and rats were setting them off. but we nuked the place with various poisons so we have it on now. Problem now is, no one can remember their password!

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »
we have a security system at our station, it hooked into to all pagers, and alarm company - who calls duty officer,

when activated, normal message tone( not tone 7) any who is avaliable is to responed, and await for atleast 2 people to turn up the investigate, every member who has a key has a defferent code which is loged.
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 02:33:30 AM »
We have a security code and keys (just one code).
When the intruder alarm is activated, it sends an info message out. If the alarm is not disarmed in a certain amount of time after that, it sends a response message.  With the fire alarms, it responds the next closest brigade as well... :)a
As far is codes go, why not use a code thats written somewhere near the station, like the year your brigade was established, or the number plate of your favourite truck! ;)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »
in terms of security..... thing like that are considered to be insecure, and should not be used as codes.

Offline sparky

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 11:00:53 AM »
Hi Guys, just to let you know there are security systems that can be self monitored which saves on monitoring costs. it works by dialling a mobile number, so your captain and/or who ever you allocate can monitor the alarm. It is also a good idea to log more than one number in the system so if the first number the system dials doesn't answer it will automatically ring the second, then the third, upto 10 numbers until the call is answered.
 Also as far as the people trying to their keycode numbers there is a cheap and easy solutions by using key fobs, which are programmed into the system. Advantage is that no one has to remember a number and when your in a hurry to the station not only can you disarm the alarm but unlock the door using electronic door strikes. This systems works quite well at our station.
If you or your station want more info call Bluestone Security Solutions 0406994277

probie_boy

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 12:09:08 PM »
that sounds pretty good. are you guys the only station to have that set up?

Offline sparky

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 06:22:28 PM »
most of the stations I have visited have key code alarms, but there could be other stations with key fob entry. As far as i am aware our station is the only one probie

strikeathird

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 07:06:45 PM »
I know of a nuber of stations with FOB access, however only know of a limited number that the FOB disarms the alarm as well..

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 10:46:22 PM »
I know of a nuber of stations with FOB access, however only know of a limited number that the FOB disarms the alarm as well..
Does that mean they will arm the alarm but not disarm it? Or they unlock the door, but don't disarm the alarm?

Offline sparky

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 11:05:06 PM »
the idea of the fob system firey is that it disarms the alarm aswell as unlocks the door, you then have to manually arm the alarm which then gives you an exit delay of about 30 to 40 seconds

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 11:10:02 PM »
Ahh, I see. Cheers! :D

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 10:02:07 AM »
So does that mean you still have to carry the Fob with you everywhere you go in case of a call out?

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
Does that mean they will arm the alarm but not disarm it? Or they unlock the door, but don't disarm the alarm?

I know of a station which the FOB unlocks the door release mech. however the alarm still needs to be keyed in to both dis arm and arm..  THe fob plays no part in securing the station..

I know of another station where the FOB unlocks the door AND disarms the alarm, however the alarm needs to be keyed in upon leaving...  FOB plays no part in securing the station.

strikeathird

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »
So does that mean you still have to carry the Fob with you everywhere you go in case of a call out?

Depends.. Some stations the doors go up with a Fire call.. Some dont.. How do you normally get in ?   

FOB is really an electronic Key...  Instead of putting your key in and turning it, the FOB unlocks the door release mechanisim which allows one opening of the door...

So however you would normally get in to the station in the situation of a call out.. would be the same.. Key, FOB or roller doors..

Offline sparky

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 07:11:57 PM »
agrees with strikeathird. Also a key fob is half the length of a key so it doesnt get in the way. I carry mine on my car keys and all i have to do is put the keyfob near the sensor pad and the door unlocks and disarms the alarm. Alot easier than trying to punch in a key code when your in a hurry. However a key bob will only ever unlock and disarm an alarm (if interfaces together) but will never arm the alarm, so you still need your code to arm the alarm.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 10:53:18 AM »

Depends.. Some stations the doors go up with a Fire call.. Some dont.. How do you normally get in ?   

FOB is really an electronic Key...  Instead of putting your key in and turning it, the FOB unlocks the door release mechanisim which allows one opening of the door...

So however you would normally get in to the station in the situation of a call out.. would be the same.. Key, FOB or roller doors..

We get in either by a key, or you haven't got it with you the doors automatically go up.  We are looking at an alarm/entry system but not sure what to run with. A key pad would eleviate the key thing if you don't have your key with you, but then you have to remeber your code. A FOB is sorta the same thing - have to carry it with you but easier to use. Auto doors are good for letting people in without a key, but not good for false alarms.
Ooooohh the brain strain................

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 11:07:56 AM »
^^ hehehehe...

Offline sparky

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 08:54:47 PM »
mengscfs, if you want some options on entry systems contact me

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 01:53:59 AM »
hey all
i few points for you all to think about when talking about alarms and the BEST kind to put in to your station.
 I'm a security officer and i have worked with almost all types of security system.

this fob system is all well and good , one swipe your in station alarms off all good right, first of all what happens when you loss your fob key and don't report it for x amount of days, in that time Jo blow has picked up the key gone in to the station and cleaned it out and no one knows till the next fire call. i yes the key can be disabled but first you have to notice it is missing.......

coded pad alarms also have there problems they all do
but at least if you loss your key the alarm will go off and notify you. yes you could forget your code but i personally would prefer to respond to the station to an alarm activation to find some nob has forgoten his/her code then to go to station for call to find Jo blow has been to station used key he found on street and cleaned out your station and no alarm had gone off wouldn't you?

don't get me wrong there are good and bad things to all types of systems. so just think about how easy it is for members to get in, it would be just as easy for the wrong people to use the system against us

my thoughts only does not reflect my station or any other members thoughts

firey9119
if anyone wants to ask me any questions about systems feel free or even via email if you wish
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)