Author Topic: Moustaches  (Read 7670 times)

PF_

Moustaches
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »
Why in every firefighter movie do 95% of the firefighters have moustaches?  Is there some sort of firemans code that when you reach a certain rank or age or do something special you have to grow a moustache :-P

(appologies for this topic, its a slow and boring day :lol:)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Moustaches
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:44:16 AM »
Interesting.....for BA equipment don't you need to be clean shaven ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
ahh but in the movies BA is just for show.... you dont actually wear it!  :wink:

probie_boy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
I believe you can have a moustache and still be able to use BA. I think its just an actual beard that you can't have because of the air seal on the edge.

Yeah BA in movies spends more time with the mask around their necks. Anyone seen backdraft. any firefighter could pick holes in it for hours on end. its clear that they used almost no technical advice from a firey when they made that film.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:21:12 PM »
mmm backdraft takes it too a bit of an extreme...

but i get the feeling from videos and photos of actual fire incidents i have seen that a lot of americans dont actually put there flash hoods/BA masks over there heads and faces... right until the absoloute crutial moment...

have seen pics of them leaning against the wall next to a window spewing flames everywhere... fumbling to put the mask on.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 08:18:18 AM »
Agreed - I watched several hours of American fireground footage taken by the fire companies own people. Showing crew on roofs, BA on the back, standing in smoke, using quick cut saws etc, BA mask dangling around their neck.

Very hard to understand, what is the point of BA if you don't use it????

PF_

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 03:53:13 PM »
Just look at ladder 49, In his first fire scene they went right into the building before masking up.  Shouldnt it be done outside by the truck.  Also did they have BA on when on the roof where that bloke fell through?  ANd they did ahve firey's making sure it was all correct.

Toast

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
Mask donning and starting up the set only need to be done in clean air, not necessarily outside or by the truck. As for the use of BA on the roof... ask a certain somone from a recent 2nd alarm shop fire in the hills about the use, or rather lack of, BA when commanding venting operations on the roof, in the smoke.

PF_

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:23:52 PM »
Mask donning and starting up the set only need to be done in clean air, not necessarily outside or by the truck. As for the use of BA on the roof... ask a certain somone from a recent 2nd alarm shop fire in the hills about the use, or rather lack of, BA when commanding venting operations on the roof, in the smoke.

I dont think inside a house with a fire ravaging is particularly clean air.  I was under the impression you mask up before going near the fire.  No need to ask them cause by your interpretation they didnt use it, and that might not have been a smart idea.  Not my lungs...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:31:17 PM by P F »

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:01:35 AM »
Moustaches are (or were common in the fire service because of the restrictions on facial hair for CABA - I think it's AS/NZS 1715:1994 that stipulates the requirements regarding facial hair when wearing CABA - ie no beard/goatee etc and only short side burns - once upon a time we were told a line from the middle of the ear to the corner of the mouth - but that was along time ago,however thats why moustaches are common in the fire service - world wide  8-)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:22:42 AM »
"aaah crap better put my gear on" (kentland 33)America...

PF_

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:31:58 AM »
good ol' Kentland boys.

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 01:39:10 PM »
Cause americans are cranks, thats why they all have handlebar moustaches !!

Thinking back to the movies.. If every fire fighter had a BA mask on in the movie.. You wouldnt see the actors faces !!  Now what kind of a movie would that be !!   :-o

lol

Never take movies too seriously...

And that kentland could have been a case of anything.. Arrive, nothing showing.. walk round the side, window blows out.. ?  who knows..  But yea, i think it was probably a case of Americans being americans..

PF_

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 01:41:54 PM »
havent you read the Only in AMerica topic, Kentland are a bit odd. :roll:

probie_boy

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 01:48:03 PM »
damn straight. there should be a new word formed about stupidity. call it being "kentlandish". wadya reckon?

PF_

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 01:52:04 PM »
damn straight. there should be a new word formed about stupidity. call it being "kentlandish". wadya reckon?

:lol:

Kentlandish, kent-lan-dish:  Stupid behaviour while part of a fire brigade.

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 01:53:35 PM »
We don and startup in FRESH AIR in Australia, also we have a DSU tag to give to the ECO when you startup, so what is the use of calculating how much time you have if you havenot even started up  :lol:

I think our rules are smart and safe....

strikeathird

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
When you average 3 or 4 going fires EVERY shift, then you can call Kentland what you like !

Yea, they have different ways, most americans do..They are alot more traditional than we are, and do things VERY differently... But I don't go tarnishing fellow fire fighters from the look of a single photo..

Sure, comment on the way there tactics are fighting a fire, but give em a break..

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 02:51:42 PM »
And remember.. There ARE americans on this forum !!

:-)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
... But I don't go tarnishing fellow fire fighters from the look of a single photo..

Sure, comment on the way there tactics are fighting a fire, but give em a break..

Excellent comment and suggestion! 8-)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

PF_

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »
as I said in the pager thread I make smart arse comments, not always 100% serious.

probie_boy

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
likewise. a simple joke. i think even americans would laugh at the kentlandish ways of that brigade. c'mon its a joke!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
Back to the original topic, I read somewhere (can't remember where now :|) that the firemans mustache originated from when BA was still rare. When in smoky conditions, the firefighters nose would start to run, and the handy mustache would make it less uncomfortable...

PF_

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
:lol:
Make sense anyway...

Cant imagine msaculine men complaining about a runy nose :cry:

Get a load of those mo's :-P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:14:07 PM by P F »

strikeathird

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
Cranks !