Author Topic: Murray Bridge CFS Truck Rollover  (Read 52347 times)

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Murray Bridge CFS Truck Rollover
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2006, 07:14:26 AM »
At the end of the day most CFS personal are NOT regular or professional drivers of 10-15t trucks at high speed under UDD conditions or even get any comprehensive training. Considering CFS provides training in almost everything I find it strange that the area of most risk receives only minimal training.  But if you are the driver on the way to a job and make a mistake you could potentially kill the seven people on the appliance and any number members of the public!

I agree with skirkmoe..driver training is not offered often enough...I know that there has only been 1 occasion where we've had the opportunity to be accredited (more in relation to deployments)...fortunately, my brigade is rural and my crew are used to driving trucks...I probably have at least 11 crew that could drive...none have been accredited though.. :?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2006, 03:32:54 PM »
I remember hearing once that proffesional truck drivers often "create" (for want of a better description) more issues than those who just drive fire appliances. Cant remember where I heard it, but it wasnt that long ago. Training needs looking at in this respect though.

rescue5271

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2006, 07:34:39 PM »
I am sure in time we will hear the out come,as for driver training it is only offered when a brigade gets a new appliances,but what about when a brigade gets a second hand truck like the murray bridge pumper?? As for where the roll over took place its not a good corner for any type of truck haven spoken to a few truck drivers.. kat I have also heard that saying and it came from a driver instuctor

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2006, 09:08:08 PM »
At the end of the day most CFS personal are NOT regular or professional drivers of 10-15t trucks at high speed under UDD conditions or even get any comprehensive training.

yes I was surprised I could get my MR licence and then (legally, apart from self imposed brigade rules) zoom around with lights and sirens breaking the speed limit with no training on "response" driving (not to mention off-road truck driving training).

PF_

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »
Cant break the speed limit

rescue5271

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »
PF, you can break the speed  by 20kms per hour its in the COSO/SOPS....

PF_

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2006, 10:33:35 AM »

Okay, I thought you couldnt break any road rules.

MATTE

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
If we couldnt break any road rules why do we have sirens?   :-D
hahahaha

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2006, 10:43:15 AM »

Okay, I thought you couldnt break any road rules.

If the emergency vehicle is driving with red/blue rotating lights, they are covered under a different part of the road rules law.

Get snapped by a red light camera or speed camera and you need to prove that it was a legitimate P1 call response.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

PF_

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
Have to stop at red lights and stop signs etc, Only go if there is a clear path and cars have given way though.

rescue5271

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2006, 11:25:11 AM »
PF, little home work for you read the COSO AND SOP'S and you will find all the answers that you will need,we have to stop at traffice lights and stop /give way signs going P1 to a job the traffice has to give way to use if lights and siren are going but they never doooooooooo.. So you must always stop  and when safe to do so move on,if you are following a second appliances its the same rule stop and when safe move on..Sorry of topic.

probie_boy

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »
isn't it great being able to break the speed limit???

back on topic for a moment, i was talking to someone the other day who said that those old isuzu pumpers like murray bridges are very top heavy. there was one in his group and drivers/oic's were worried about even going over the speed limit in them. Perhaps what happened here?

PF_

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »
PF, little home work for you read the COSO AND SOP'S and you will find all the answers that you will need,we have to stop at traffice lights and stop /give way signs going P1 to a job the traffice has to give way to use if lights and siren are going but they never doooooooooo.. So you must always stop  and when safe to do so move on,if you are following a second appliances its the same rule stop and when safe move on..Sorry of topic.

Where can I find COSO and SOP?

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2006, 12:46:25 PM »

Where can I find COSO and SOP?

http://www.cfs.org.au/ follow the links to about us then publications.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
I believe that if the vehicle is a truck or vehicle without ABS under P1 condition you can do 20kph over "IF SAFE" if the vehicle is fitted with ABS you can do 40 kph over.
But this may have changed since i read it last.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2006, 03:44:43 PM »
^^hmmm negative on that mundcfs

from the coso's its too do with weight, i havent got the info in front of me, but its something like, if the vehicle is over 2t then 20kp/h over the limit, if its under 2t then 40kp/h over the limit.

but read the coso to confirm this.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2006, 07:02:50 PM »
Thought i may have been wrong been a while since i looked it up....
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2006, 08:38:49 PM »
yeah, its to do with weight, not tech.

strikeathird

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2006, 08:59:48 PM »
you can't do 40 km/h over the limit if you don't have ABS brakes either..

Limits most of CFS appliances..

Except the dennis..

(and maybe a couple random trucks with ABS.. if there are any ??)

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2006, 09:07:53 AM »
yeah, its to do with weight, not tech.

(hopefully you guys aren't drivers)
You should take the advice given to "PF" to read the COSO/SOP.  Hint: both weight of the vehicle and whether it has ABS are factors, so a 24/34 type appliance with no ABS is limited to 20km/hr over the limit.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »
Obviously, it's more important to actually arrive in tact and alive ourselves rather than be concerned with being allowed to speed xkms over the speedlimit.

It only varies the arrival time by a few minutes in the long run...nothing would be worse than having or being involved in a MVA on the way to a job...

My appliance crashed on the way to a fire once, driver going too fast..thankfully, there were no crew on the back...we have now imposed an 80kph speedlimit on dirt roads as a result.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2006, 09:57:21 AM »
I think wearing seatbelts is compulsory en route as per our SOP's regardless of what Road Traffic Act says? Dunno - couldn't find our SOP's on the CFS publications site as per Mengcfs post. But what a bonus to find the new Act and Regs.

Wonder when the Brigade will get a copy??
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »
Posted verbatim from The Murray Valley Standard (7/3/06):

Police are seeking witnesses to the Country Fire Service truck rollover in Murray Bridge on Thursday. The truck was travelling east on Adelaide road (sic) and turned right into Swanport Road when it rolled, injuring the four occupants. The main intersection was interrupted for several hours as emergency personnel investigated and cleared the scene. The four CFS officers received non-critical injuries. Police have asked anyone who saw the incident, saw the driving manner of the truck before the incident, or have any information that may help investigations to contact Murray Bridge police on 8535 6020 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Remember no speculation!
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
apparently i was wrong re: truck speeds/weight, but have since had a read of the SOPs this morning.. LOL

re; seatbelts, MUST be worn by the driver. are optional for all passengers whilst responding to an emergency under priority one conditions.

does this mean they must be worn for a priority two call?
have to admit i have never worn my seatbelt to or from a call... never usually have that much time as we have arrived at most of our calls within three - four minutes of leaving station... plus half the time your stuffing around trying to put on tabards etc... but enough justifying myself.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Unfortunately, Medevac, I know where you are coming from....I NEVER drive my own ute anywhere without a seatbelt but find that I'm busy getting radios, batteries, tabards etc organised and often don't wear a seatbelt.

I didn't think that it was mandatory for the others to wear them...but I imagine that this might change or be recommended...especially in the back crew cab.