Author Topic: polling site  (Read 2322 times)

rescue5271

polling site
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:04:37 AM »
I have noted over the past week on the GRN pager site brigades asking members to help with state polling day with BBQ or to hand out how to vote paper's. My question is should any emergency service really get involved in handing out papers on how to vote?? what message are we sending to the public if we do this I know some years ago a CFA brigade got their rear end kicked from the city to the hill's and back for doing the same thing and it ended up as a big story on the news that the members where doing a job that should have been done by members of the labour/lib party...

I am  not happy that we expose ourself's to this type of work as we are firefighters and should not be used by any party to hand out their paperwork ......

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: polling site
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:59:08 AM »
Not sure if brigades are being used to hand out election material Bill, from what I have seen most brigades just use the day as a fundrasing exercise - a chance to 'rattle the tin' and gain a few extra dollars.

From what I have seen and heard from brigades involved it was a very successful day. It's good to see the public supporting us, only one person at the polling booth I was at even asked why we needed to fundraise.

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 06:41:53 PM »
Thanks matt if that is all there where doing well hope they all got lots of money...

Toast

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:49:19 PM »
I would be surprised to see people in CFS uniform handing out how to vote cards. Each to their own, but the serivice shouldnt be seen to be supporting one member over another.

As for rattling the tin, it was a rather successful day for us...

probie_boy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:27:31 PM »
no, you can get into serious shizzite for favouring one party after another. Especially when you're representing an official organisation like the CFS.

On a side note, we ran a barbie and made almost $1000, including grocery costs. a good day

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
Election day is collection day - At least something good came from the weekend - good fundraiser for brigades and good promotional time.

As for handing out voter cards - ha ha ha at the booth I was at the people handing them out really struggled to get much attention, all they got was sore feet and a tan  :-o
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.