Author Topic: Any one who can help?  (Read 8486 times)

rescue5271

Re: Any one who can help?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 08:32:55 PM »
I know when I worked for the state goverment (hospital) my boss put her foot down and I had to seek her permission to go and if she was not there I could not go.. It gets back to explaining the situation and having some rules in place,but I really have found that some people just go to all calls and so bosses are putting their foot down.. Time the goverment offered some help(tax cuts)....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 04:41:54 PM »
in addition to the state and federal laws, some organisations have deals with the unions that include clauses about emergency volunteers. I believe both Woolworths and Coles-Myer have clauses in their union agreements that say volunteer emergency workers can respond to incidents.  This won't stop your boss from firing you, but it might help you get your job back, or get compensation ;)

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 10:42:22 PM »
I'm lucky I'm in a job where I don't deal with customers and 99% of the time have vague sort of deadlines such that I can disappear early one day and so long as I make up the time at some point no one minds.  My employer (a large company) also has a policy that you can claim up to 10 days per year for emergency services (paid) leave which includes CFS, SES, army reserves etc.

You are supposed to get approval beforehand but for incidents I have left work for, such as the Mt Osmond fire, I went then rang my supervisor whilst on the way and said I've gone (I also told him to tell another guy at work who lives just near the golf course there that he might like to go home and protect his house!).

My point?  it's up to the employer in my opinion but there are good ones around.  Although it's tough if you work for a small business cos it's costing them money if you disappear.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 06:18:56 PM »
That is correct,so you need to be fair and talk the situation over with your boss  and see what they say. Keep in mind that some people have taken the issue of going to ever job way to far. Really is there any need for someone to leave work who say is 30 mins away from their brigade to attend a fixed alarm?????

First Thing I Do Is Explain To The Employeer What We Do & What We Protect & Attend To So They Know Without Us Coverage Is Minimal. Then I Get There Feelings On That. Then I Ask Them How They Feel If A Major Iccident Occurs Can I Go Providing That They Can Cover The Work. Eg The Virginia Floods I Called My Boss While I Was On The Way In The Truck & Let Him Know, Not So Much Asking But I Told Him That I Have Gone. But As I Said It Was Pre-Arranged. I'm Not Going To Leave Work For Every Stop Call, MVA, House Fire We Get Called To, Thats Why We Have Other Crew That Can Attend Or Default If Required But If Its A Major Iccident I Will & Can Go.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 11:52:39 AM »
As an example I work for EDS Australia which has a 'emergency services leave' policy. This means I can attend call-outs with prior approval of my team leader.

I have attended call-outs for major storms, flood and search during working days when we were short of crew.

This morning the pager activated for a Field Command deployment, but I advised the duty officer that I could only attend if desperate for crew. They have enough crew.

Currently I am fidgeting as all hell, but in the longer term this is better.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
LOL I Worked For EDS When The Flooding Was On, Its Good The 'Emergency Services Leave' Policy. I Worked In The CBA Team. I Have Since Moved Over To Government & Get Paid Alot Better.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 11:43:51 AM »
Getting paid better in governement - well done that man 8-)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.