Author Topic: Any one who can help?  (Read 8487 times)

strikeathird

Any one who can help?
« on: March 22, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »
After a recent discussion with a fellow cfs member, I need to ask a question..

We were talking about employers, and being directly sacked as a result of attending a CFS incident / firecall /  job..

(This hasn't happend however just wondering on the legalities)

I was under the impression there was some form of legislation / law that did not allow emplyers to directly sack employees due to them attending CFS incidents etc..

Can anyone back this up (if it is true) with the document ??
I thought it was brought out a year ago or so??

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Any one who can help?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:57:40 PM »
i think the employer would be well within there rights to sack someone if there business has been affected by a late arrival for work, or not arriving for work at all...

i have never heard of any legislation or law to such effect..

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »
Check the new IR laws, I have heard there is a clause that protects emergency volunteers. I have not seen it so it could be gossip! :-D

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
IR laws... roger that..

Now... where do i find them :P

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »
but honestly... if i were someones boss and they didnt rock up for work because they went to a fire call instead they wouldnt have a job anymore...

Toast

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 10:53:05 PM »
but honestly... if i were someones boss and they didnt rock up for work because they went to a fire call instead they wouldnt have a job anymore...

You're obviously a very community minded person....  :roll:

With an attitude like that becoming the norm, no wonder we have day crew issues

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 11:21:02 PM »
hahaha... why should a persons business suffer? people dont get paid to be elsewhere.

with my old job, if i didnt turn up then i would no longer have a job to go too... and personally i thought that was very fair.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:12 AM »
I am pretty sure that there is some legislation in relation to them NOT being able to sack an employee who is assisting with an emergency event.

Try some of the volunteering sites...eg Volunteer SA...I will look for you as well.

It can be easily solved with a high level of communication ie if you're going to be late...make sure you ring and speak to your boss!

probie_boy

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:09:45 AM »
if you got sacked due to not showing up coz u were at a job that you were responded to at 2300 the night before, then its not real fair. However, if you have work at 0900 and you get a call at 0830 and you respond, then its not good to your employer.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »
I think you could not sacked if a 'state of disaster' is declared and you respond within that area and timeframe.

Otherwise it is up to the employer to complain about non-attendance and non-performance at the workplace.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »
I am pretty sure that there is some legislation in relation to them NOT being able to sack an employee who is assisting with an emergency event.

Try some of the volunteering sites...eg Volunteer SA...I will look for you as well.

It can be easily solved with a high level of communication ie if you're going to be late...make sure you ring and speak to your boss!

Many thanks.

I am having a little difficulty finding the relevant info.. If you have any luck, it would be greatly appreciated.

:)

PF_

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 05:55:40 PM »
Maybe try your boss or a Union head, see what they know and how they fell about this.  Hopefully your boss is in CFS. :wink:

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »
Its got nothing to do with me or my work mate, no quams there... I am just having a debate bout it with a mate of mine.. He thinks you can get sacked, I thought there was legislation that prevents it.

PF_

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 06:46:30 PM »
But they might have a clue whether you can or not.  Isnt there someone from the forum who got sacked cause of CFS attendance?

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
I think you will find that we are only covered if it is a large fire and that members have in place some sort of agreement with the boss/work. I know of some work places that will no longer let staff goes as some CFS members where going to every call that the brigade had and so the boss said NO. It is also now the same if you work for the goverment you need to have some sort of agreement but you can't just say your going and walk out the door.

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 09:07:36 PM »
As an employer,  there was no room in any act or award that allowed for attendance to a call out with a volunteer emergency service. Basically if you left work or didn't show up at work you could have been fired / warned. However i am 90% sure that the new IR laws have a clause in there that allows for attandance of volunteers at emergencies to perform their role. I have acopy of the new IR Act and Regs but i am having trouble finding the clause, when i do i shall extract the appropriate information and post.
Del

strikeathird

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 09:16:44 AM »
Thankyou very much DEL, thats what I had also heard and was looking for.

Where did you get the regs / copy of the IR laws?

Ta.

probie_boy

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 09:24:19 AM »
government website?

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »
Thats cool. Can't really remember. Searched, found, downloaded and saved them. 700+ pages of Act plus Regs. Try www.workchoices.gov.au.
Del

probie_boy

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
now theres one large downloadable sleeping pill.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
I have heard there are some issues coming now from the cyclone that hit north queensland - in the first few days people were preparing (response agencies - firies and SES) and a few employers had issues!

Once it was declared a disaster area, those problems vanished and the volunteers/retainees where protected!

However can't get anyone up that way to tell me what legislation this comes from ...... will keep searching!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Employment protection of volunteers
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 10:36:39 AM »
In SA volunteers are protected from anti-dismissal employment when a disaster area is 'declared'. This is part 33 of the SA Emergency Management Act 2004.

The Act can be found at http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/aboutses/aboutses/pdfs/EM%20Act%202004.pdf

During Ops Training last year, we were warned that if you respond to an incident outside of the 'declared' area or beyond the time of declaration, then you are NOT covered by the act.

Virginia floods and Eyre Peninsula fires were recent declared areas.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 04:55:21 PM »
Ok, so in short, unless a "Disaster" is declared, under the act, volunteers can be sacked for responding to an emergency incident.. Eg.. House fire, MVA.. etc... and are not covered by any regs when this occurs..

Jeez.. they wonder why it is hard to find vollies..

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
That is correct,so you need to be fair and talk the situation over with your boss  and see what they say. Keep in mind that some people have taken the issue of going to ever job way to far. Really is there any need for someone to leave work who say is 30 mins away from their brigade to attend a fixed alarm?????

strikeathird

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »
That is correct,so you need to be fair and talk the situation over with your bossĀ  and see what they say. Keep in mind that some people have taken the issue of going to ever job way to far. Really is there any need for someone to leave work who say is 30 mins away from their brigade to attend a fixed alarm?????

I agree blinky... As I have said from the start, the question was no way related to myself, I was just curious to find out.. As have heard differing opinions.

Thanks all for the help...

anything