Author Topic: summer is still here  (Read 5304 times)

rescue5271

summer is still here
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:33:31 PM »
Still nice and hot,I see afew brigades/group's are still having good size grass fire's and the way this is going may be like this till EASTER. I hope not hate melted eggs :x

probie_boy

Re: summer is still here
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »
yeah, summer appears to have reared its ugly head later than usual this year. However, in 2005 winter there were serious discussions about bringing the fire danger season to start in mid october for this summer.

Offline steved01

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
Mmmmm and the permit burning season has started down here in the SE.  It's the silly season, smoke everywhere and hot as hell.  Hope everyone does the right thing.  I am not too keen on chasing rekindles.
3rd law of radiant heat: When your warning lights melt, it's a sign that you parked too close.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:24:24 PM »
Mmmmm and the permit burning season has started down here in the SE.  It's the silly season, smoke everywhere and hot as filtered.  Hope everyone does the right thing.  I am not too keen on chasing rekindles.

The permit season is our busiest time...and the permit holders often aren't diligent with their notifications...hence much wasted time responding to a controlled burn off..a simple phone call is helpful!

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:04:33 PM »
All i know is it was hot, and blowing a gail in the CBD earlier this afternoon...

Offline steved01

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
Yep, hot today and hot and windy tomorrow. It's our busiest time as well.  The non notified permits are a real killer and a total waste of time. Its the not knowing which is which that is the real drag.
3rd law of radiant heat: When your warning lights melt, it's a sign that you parked too close.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 09:41:37 AM »
Hopefully the rain last night & today reached your areas. Thus the potential for calls is minimised.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 10:04:43 AM »
yeah but the problem we seem to have in our area is that when its been dry for a long time and then it rains, accidents seem more common. I think it could be because people drive on the wet road and make no changes to how they have been driving on the dry road. Does anyone else have this problem in their area?

PF_

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 10:05:57 AM »
Rain brings out all the oil in ther road and makes it slicker.

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 10:14:30 AM »
^^ Correct... All the oil, brake fluids, coolants, grime and everything else, is brought to the surface of the road, thus making it slippery as hell..  That mixed with everyones stupid driving in the first few events of wet weather...

= Disaster...

The driving into work this morning heard over 14 accidents in one hour.. most multiple vehicles.. few of them over 4 vehicles involved..

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:23:16 AM »
Road Grime = The worlds slipperyest lubricant......

Maybe someone should market it ;)

probie_boy

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 12:40:45 PM »
What did i say??? fresh rain = RCR's. sure enough we got one RCR and a close call involving a woman who decided to stop on a blind corner to look at a map to find her way back to adelaide.

visibility was s***house as well last night

PF_

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »
Well at least she stopped and didnt drive along with her eyes on the map, would've had an MVA then.

probie_boy

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 10:46:53 AM »
much of a muchness P F. either way another MVA was minutes away