Author Topic: cave rescue  (Read 9435 times)

rescue5271

cave rescue
« on: April 12, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
Had a nice cave rescue on Sunday: The naracoorte cadets where playing host to a group of CFA cadets and leaders on the week end and one of the last activatives was caving.. While some brigade members where at a BBQ and others where caving we where paged to a cave rescue at the caves... We where informed on route that the job was a member of the CFA (leader ) who had a fall and did his ankle.. While on the way out there our captain who was on scene asked for a crane to be called. All in all a good job done by all and the crane did a great job and arrived not long after we did.

I shall post some picture's later when I get a copy of them...

strikeathird

Re: cave rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 05:06:37 PM »
hehehe.. Sounds like an adventorous day !

You guys are high angle / vert rescue arent you ?

Im pretty sure you have said you are.. if not, where would the nearest support come from ?

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 08:47:25 PM »
geez bill he must have been a pretty heavy guy to need a crane to lift him out. lol

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:31:34 AM »
yeah naracoorte provide vertical rescue for some areas down that way... bit of a stretch between SES units.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 11:52:40 AM »
Great to see diversity in services and that the different services can fill the gaps.

Maybe one day maybe we will see cross training to encompass vertical rescue/rescue from heights, confined space, atmospheric monitoring and CABA - to allow joint service teams to respond and serve their communities - saves on duplication and enhances all services.

Look forward to the photos blinky :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:19:32 AM »
Are there any photos blinky ?

probie_boy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
yeah, blinky! i've been hanging out for these snaps!

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »
There coming ok...............

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:39 PM »
isnt there one of your pics on the promotions site of the rescue ?

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 01:43:25 AM »
There coming ok...............

Its alrite mate, wasn't trying to rush you or nuthing...

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 07:01:59 AM »
I shall post a couple of pictures just having a problem with the download so will email to firefrog and he can upload for me... Keep in mind that we used a crane as there was no room to set up our larkin frame and we would have needed alot of man power to get him out of the cave about 250 meters before we could get him out and very tight spots. The crane was used as the opening in the cave was big enough to get him and about another ten people out of if we had to... This is the second time in twenty years that Naracoorte brigade have used a crane... This was a great interagency job,police,cfs,saas and yes CFA as it was one of their members.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 09:37:37 AM »
Looking forward to the photos :wink:

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:43 AM »
Here are the pics as requested

Instructions on how to attach pics are here http://www.safirefighter.com/boards/Themes/default/help/posting.english.html#additional
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:31:15 AM by Firefrog »

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
More

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »
Final

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
Excellent photos!

Great to see diversity in CFS and resourcefullness!

Interesting PPE being worn also...............

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 12:49:29 PM »
Blinky, just for my curosity :

* How is the casualty strapped into the rescue litter ? From what I can see it would seem the seat belt type fastners are used.

* How did the casualty like his ride and is he OK now ?

I bet the other CFA cadets wished they could have ridden the crane while it was thereĀ  :lol:

Well done to all concerned and it is great to see 'outside the square' thinking (by calling in the crane) being used, as well as all agencies working together.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »
Yes they are the seatbelt type straps and  he said it was the most smooth ride that he has ever had,he has doing fine now .As for PPE the member in red is from the naracoorte caves DEH staff others are from CFA/CFS. We use cave rescue helmets when fully underground but as you can see rural helmets are in the picture's. The crane is something that has been used before and in this case was a great  idea of our Captains to use it again. I have posted these pictures so as to show some members that we each have different ideas and we can all learn from what we each know....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »
:wink: was lookiign at the rescue officer in the t-shirt :wink: :wink:

The photos are an excellent example of how resourceful CFS members are and how adaptable crews are to various hurdles in their way :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
I see what you mean,just to fill you all in the cadets from naracoorte cfs along with cfa cadets where at the caves. A number of our members and captain where also there helping when the accident took place.. The captain was the rescue officer and he stayed in the background and was liason with saas and police. All in all a good job and we did well from what crews we had on the day....

strikeathird

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 05:11:43 PM »
Ahh.. so the CFA overalls was one of the memebrs/cadets already present... Thought it was a lil far for them to respond :P

Good work blinky... Looks like a job well done !

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 05:19:23 PM »
Once this turned into a working job all cadets where removed from the site and taken back to Naracoorte fire station(as per SOPS)...The CFA guys in the hole are firefighter from Horsham.. they must have a lot of bad luck in that Horsham brigade.. story in the cfa fireman,a member of horsham brigade was woken to the sound of his pager going off in the wee small hours.. Turns out his house was on fire and if the police did not spot the fire he and his partner would have been in strive... see pagers are good for some things in the middle of the night.....

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 05:25:57 PM »
Horsham member is lucky !

How many jobs do you guys do with CFA ?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 09:00:40 AM »
Once this turned into a working job all cadets where removed from the site and taken back to Naracoorte fire station(as per SOPS)...The CFA guys in the hole are firefighter from Horsham.. they must have a lot of bad luck in that Horsham brigade.. story in the cfa fireman,a member of horsham brigade was woken to the sound of his pager going off in the wee small hours.. Turns out his house was on fire and if the police did not spot the fire he and his partner would have been in strive... see pagers are good for some things in the middle of the night.....

Thats a great gentle reminder for us all to practice what we preach - smoke alarms save lives - install adjacent to all sleeping areas and in all living areas :-)

probie_boy

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »
wow, thats a crazy story!

cave rescues would be interesting, its a shame theres no caves near me!