Author Topic: stirling rescue helmets??  (Read 4500 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
stirling rescue helmets??
« on: April 13, 2006, 10:32:12 AM »
just noticed on the OZfire email group some pics of stirling boys at op. easter brake wearing what looked like SES helmets with visors... any benefit/reason for this??? anyone from stirling...

probie_boy

Re: stirling rescue helmets??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:01:22 PM »
PM cfs_firey. he'll be your key to knowledge victory

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
pics pics pics   :evil:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »
hmm i deleted them sorry...

uhh... little stack hat kind of things, almost no brim, with a placcy visor and a hole in it for a torch...

surely someone else is an oz-firey?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 07:53:18 PM »
this one?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 10:16:06 PM »
can't comment on Stirling but have used similar helmets for RCR work, very useful for getting your noggin into tight spaces for a look at entrapment etc.

Toast

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 01:06:43 AM »
We use them due to their small size. They allow the protection needed at the rcr with a smaller size so you dont have to contend with a huge structure helmet inside a vehicle. They also have (kinda visable in the pic) a small UK4AA torch mounted in the helmet. We carry 3 on our rescue appliance with a couple of spares. All but one are white with 'Stirling Rescue' on them, and the other is yellow with 'OIC Stirling Rescue'.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 08:48:09 AM »
24P - yeah thats the one... with the guy picking his nose... lol

cheers toast

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:05:47 AM »
I first saw these last year being used by CFA at the Rescue comps.

Look like they have many positives in reguards to RCR and inside vehicle/ confined space work..

Is the visor rated as "Ïmpact Resistant" ?

PF_

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »
Pacific BR1T

BR1T
A variation on the BR1 with the added feature of the built in torch pod which accomodates the Mini Q4 UKE Torch, allowing for hands-free lighting.

Certified to AS1801 Type 3 and EN397.

From the pacific helmet website.

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »
I understand a CFS staff member is in the process of having a one helmet does it all. The idea is that you will have one helmet rural type if you are paged for a RCR or structual fire all you have to do is change the outer shell of the helmet and that is all you have to do mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  So what do people think about that???? The group would have to buy the new helmets along with say six shells and your in business,boy how confusing is the CFS going to get...............

PF_

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 10:41:35 PM »
Its quite stupid really.  Keep the helmets the way things are or give everyone structure helmets, those that have them only wear them anyway.

My thoughts.

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 11:57:43 PM »
Ill still just wear my structure...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 01:03:15 AM »
One of our members works for Mercury Fire and Safety and mentioned thode helmets the other day, says they're not too bad and the price is around the same as a standard structure helmet. I think cairns make them but don't hold me to that i'm probably wrong..
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 04:52:02 PM »
A module system would be ok but in all honesty a structural helmet does the job quite well. Even the old solid Bullard helmets. Nothing like the flimsy rural helmets.

strikeathird

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 11:22:36 PM »
Couldn't agree more about the structural helmet.. As i have said a number of times.. I wont wear a rural, for the simple fact that I dont think they are made well enough, and do not offer as much protection in the case of an impact from above..

MAny will say " But you would probably break your neck anyway"..   - but, if you dont, and end up wil half a head ... Then ur knackered...

As long as you understand the heat and thermal protection properties, and understand you need to take it off after 45 mins of active fire fighting, to cool down, then I dont see a problem with it being used for both rural and structural responses..

Its hard explaining to people who have never worn one, why they are so up there when it comes to helmet choice..

Wouldn't wear anything other than my Cairns :)