Author Topic: Driver Reviver  (Read 11327 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Driver Reviver
« on: April 13, 2006, 11:29:42 AM »
Any Brigades/Units conducting a Driver Reviver this Easter weekend. Meningie CFS is conducting one on Thursday night with the Lions Club finishing off on the Monday.  We have signed up with the Official Driver Reviver program which gets us Tea, Coffe, Cordial, Biscuits, Cups, Stirrers and everything else you need to do one.  The stuff is donated by Bushells, Arnotts and Cottee's.  Transport SA have also put up huge fold down Driver Reviver 1km ahead reflective signs each end of town.  They also gave us an A frame to go at the site with a huge arrow.
Exciting stuff when you get this much support :-D

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Reviver
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 11:55:04 AM »
Excellent work - just another display of how our states emergency services are helping their communities. An excellent proactive approach (better to prevent rather than respond to the incident) - let us know how it goes
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

probie_boy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
that is good to hear meng. We won't do one as although we are on a very busy road this time of year we are close enough to town that fatigue isn't a problem to people at this stage of their journey.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:55:53 PM »
arent most VAs meant to be within 5mins of home?

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 08:53:58 PM »
Too true Medevac,

There should be driver reviver just outside the metro area.  Encourage drivers to stop, take a break etc and mentally prepare for city traffic conditions and speeds.  A stop on Pt Wakefield Rd, say Virginia or Bolivar would be of benefit and also one somewhere along the SE freeway - although finding a suitable place to stage it could be a problem, particularly anything closer than Tailem or M/Bridge due to lack of layover areas.  There is a large truck rest bay near Callington exit I think - maybe there?
The biggest problem would be getting drivers to stop when they are "So close to home"

I didn't realise there was quite that amount of support from manufacturers/gov. agencies - excellent to see.

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:06:21 PM »
We did this for years but pulled out of it about two years ago as it became to hard for us  and back then the site was some 15kms out of town and this in its self was a problem when we got a call...Now its in town and we have not got involved as  most of our brigade is out of town on holidays....

PF_

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »
I know it isnt driver reviver stuff but still CFS helping community.  Springton were helping out the community today at Grand Cru horse trials by taking the money at the gate.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
It's crazy how many crashes over this long weekend, looking at the pager site

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 11:21:21 AM »
Is it still at 2 x Fatalities ?  Haven't seen the news in a couple days...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:27:19 PM »
the only one with CFS involvement was hahndorf (1). other than that a car v ped at elizabeth (1), and a boating accident at fishermans bay (1 fatality)

this to thebest of my knowledge, so all in all not too bad atm.
did anyone notice eden hills and blackwood going to an MVA at happy vy? whats with that... eden hills responded on initial page then blackwood 4 mins later. what the...

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »

did anyone notice eden hills and blackwood going to an MVA at happy vy? whats with that... eden hills responded on initial page then blackwood 4 mins later. what the...
Wonders of the MFS database???????
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
inspiring really... im confused/concerned as to why eden would have even come into the equation?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »
Off topic but
I thought Blackwood is backup rescue for that area :?

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 11:09:54 PM »
:-o I have no idea why Eden & Blackwood were responded.  I did not attend that call (at work) so don't know the particulars.  I do know that recovering vehicles from backyards in that area can be very tricky, but usually only 439/421/HV24P would be required and then utilise towies to recover vehicle.  Even with a complicated entrapment, Mets rescue unit you would think would be enough.  Eden Pumper does carry heavy/light RCR gear and obviously Blackwood's  rescue.  Once I find out more I'll pass on, unless there is some info from a member that did attend.  I'll post in "Incident Operations".  Interesting is the simultaneous Ambulance call - "Multiple Hazards". 

Eden responding could be a good thang - if it appreciated that a pumper with rescue eq is required in our area, maybe there is a good chance that region may oblige us!! :wink:

strikeathird

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 12:42:40 AM »
All i could think of is that it could have been CFS area, and further Rescue equipment may have been required.

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 01:52:12 AM »
Yes that is a (Happy Valley) CFS area.  So I guess fair enough that MFS dispatched CFS rescue appliances.  439 (Christie Downs MFS Rescue Pumper) enroute.  Eden Pumper responded along with it, follow up page to Blackwood would have been prior to first unit arriving on scene, so must have figured from info provided by caller that more than one rescue appliance required.  Eden just as close as next nearest Mets rescue (409, St Marys) so why not?  As for Blackwood? maybe to avoid tying up all the southern Mets Rescue units to one incident, particulary on the Easter weekend.

Who knows

strikeathird

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 02:43:20 AM »
As for blackwood.. Its simple... If it was H/Valley CFS.. note the CFS.. area, that is why blackwood attended. (Why eden went is baffling...  Being they are not a designated Rescue Brigade..)...

Unless the OIC specifically would require or request something like 204 with the crane.. then CFS Rescue backup will go first, being as it is CFS area...

439 get responded as it would be in the EMA agreememnt with the dual response to all RCR's..(So if 421 go and 439 weren't available, 409 would have gone) After that, the additional rescue backup should come from CFS rescue resources.. being in CFS area..

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 03:13:35 AM »
Totally agree and sounds perfectly reasonable.  I guess the question I still have concerns Eden/Blackwood.  As you say, Blackwood is the designated Rescue, but although Eden isn't, it is however suitably equipped.  It would seem to have made more sense if Blackwood was paged initially along with the local EMA brigades of 43 and HV, and then backup with Eden, since they do have RCR gear.  HV carries only rapid access tool kit, no RCR eq.

I guess that Medevac's query was why Eden and Blackwood when the likes of 421 and 409 would probably be closer and carry the same equipment. You have answered that simply - CFS area.

Hopefully there's photos of the incident as it obviously was quite a messy one.

On this subject.  While out and about today noticed a totally mangled Nissan on the side of the road just outside Strath, on the Woodchester Rd. Bunted off with red/white tape. Anyone got any details.  It didn't look like a staged plant for reminding drivers.

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 07:36:10 AM »
By the look of the page site blackwood had problems getting a crew.....

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 08:13:59 AM »
Blackwood had a full crew

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 08:59:40 AM »
I guess that Medevac's query was why Eden and Blackwood when the likes of 421 and 409 would probably be closer and carry the same equipment. You have answered that simply - CFS area.

sorry, people may have grabbed the wrong idea from what i said...
i was actually awake at the time i noticed the page go out, so whacked on the scanner... although it is CFS area, that doesnt mean a CFS rescue appliance goes. rescue appliances attend dependant on what the green book says, for this area green book states "fire - happy valley cfs, rescue - MFS" that should be the story said and done, unless MFS rescue wasnt available, 2nd rescue is then Blackwood for this area. however for some reason eden hills were responded (accidentally??) on the initial page with the appropriate resceu truck (439), and then a moment later blackwood were dispatched (prior to any units arriving or requesting them, perhaps sturt group duty officer making an upgrade out of group area? i dont know...)

for info, this "second alarm Rescue" which is basically what it ended up having a response for, was a stop call... no persons trapped, minor injuries...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 09:01:22 AM »
Road Crash Rescue Resource Directory (The Green Book) stipulates what must be responded  - 1st, 2nd and Heavy Rescue!

If this wasn't followed then obviously kick up pants with large boot needed ASAP.

If it was followed and it's out of date  - same kick up pants with large boot required.

If it was followed - then who cares who was responded - it was as per the recommendations, the jobs was done, the community needs met and everyone returned home.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 02:44:30 PM »
To get things back on track.....I will post some pics of our site and the signage that is donated tonight or tomorrow.
PS: Had a steady stream of people most of the night call in for a cuppa. Amazing how many people travel late at night.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 03:03:53 PM »
Yeah i was kinda wondering how we got so far off track...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 04:23:54 PM »
Road Crash Rescue Resource Directory (The Green Book) stipulates what must be responded  - 1st, 2nd and Heavy Rescue!

If this wasn't followed then obviously kick up pants with large boot needed ASAP.

If it was followed and it's out of date  - same kick up pants with large boot required.

If it was followed - then who cares who was responded - it was as per the recommendations, the jobs was done, the community needs met and everyone returned home.

No such thing as heavy rescue in the green book any more, it's just first or second rescue, and to be either of those your brigade must be "heavy rescue".

Sorry to drag it off topic again :oops:
Lt. Goolwa CFS