Author Topic: Fire & Explosion in Adelaide  (Read 9928 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Fire & Explosion in Adelaide
« on: May 02, 2006, 09:28:18 AM »
I was reading the news on Yahoo7 home page and came across something about a building explosion in Adelaide...after reading this news article i went to the paging site and found these messages

1926879 03:28:13 02-05-06 console0:respond to 1st alarm A risk fire pirie st adelaide
1925586 03:27:00 02-05-06 CT171 Cat2 Pirie St, Adelaide 4 A7
1919074 03:25:35 02-05-06 MFS: RESPOND ALARM 14/208 02/05/06 03:24,PUBLIC SERVICE ASSOC BLDG,122 PIRIE ST ,ADELAIDE, MAP 4 D 7 ,,FIP INSIDE MAIN ENTRY,EXPLOSION ON SITE,41 206*CFSRES:

It looks like the met boys must have had to roll out of bed to go to this one :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Fire & Explosion in Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »
Anyone got any pics??

Offline Laska

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:32:38 AM »
I heard about that on Nova this morning in the car. Said it happened just across the road from where Nova is. The blast was so big that a stool from a cafe next door launched into the window of a second story building across the road. Apparantly one of the workers is unaccounted for and they've been trying all morning to call him on his mob.

probie_boy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:34:55 AM »
yeah, i heard aboiut this this morning. apparently it took out joggers world and an underground wine bar. There was also a fire in addition to the explosion. There was debris all over pirie street. I believe that pirie street will be blocked all day.

oh while we're on explosions, did anyone see last night on the news that explosion at findon. some hunk of metal just crashed through someones roof. It took the mets an hour or so to figure out where it came from before they found out. It came from a guy whose shed blew up two streets away. he was in the shed, but was okay i believe. I think i heard the news say that he had his own distillery in the shed, hence the explosion. (correct that last sentence if wrong)

I want pictures.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:38:58 AM by probie_boy »

Offline Laska

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »
Yeah I saw that on the news. Pretty scary. Blew the shed to smithereens! Could of killed somebody :| Luckily nobody was hurt.

PF_

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:29:25 AM »
Bomb?

probie_boy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »
perhaps. Are we talking the Findon one or the pirie st one now??
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:00:21 AM by probie_boy »

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 10:58:33 AM »
Please discuss the known facts only. Please avoid speculation.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »
SES USAR trailers from Sturt & noarlunga have been deployed. SES Field Command just called out (unsure if for same job).

ABC News Online website has some details. http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1628390.htm
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

PF_

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 11:08:20 AM »
Pirie street. Its all speculation unless you know exactly what happened 100% though.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:19:30 AM »
And a photo from the back of the building

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 11:23:57 AM »
A friend at Nova sent me these pics taken from her office.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »
A couple more......

PF_

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
Looks like the roof has been blown up a bit.  Must have been big.

probie_boy

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 01:58:12 PM »
shite. good pictures.

also just found this on http://www.news.com.au

POLICE fear for the safety of an Adelaide man missing after an early morning explosion in a central city building.

Investigators are trying to enter the building in Pirie Street after an explosion severely damaged the premises about 3am (CST) today.
Police said there were concerns for the owner of a cafe, one of three businesses in the building.

Officers were unable to contact him and his car had been found parked behind the building, Superintendent Paul Schramm said.

"So we can't completely rule out the fact that there may be an injured person in the building," Supt Schramm said.

"We don't want to speculate further on that.

Advertisement:
"We have been in contact with the relatives. Obviously they are extremely concerned.
"As soon as we can safely enter the building and confirm whether or not anyone is injured, we will do so and notify the relatives.

"We are doing our very best to get in as soon as we can, safely."

An employee of the cafe, Lisa Brook, said the missing man was dedicated to his business.

She said it was not unusual for him to be at work at such an early hour of the day.

"He's a bit of a workaholic," she said.

Ms Brooks said she had only been working at the cafe for six months but already felt at home and was trying to stay calm for the sake of the man's family.

"The family are fairly positive people," she said.

The blast blew out the front and rear sections of the building and caused a big section of wall to collapse.

It also showered debris across the street and damaged a second building.

The explosion appeared to have been sparked in the basement of the building which housed a retail wine outlet, a cafe and a sports store on the first floor.

There has been some speculation gas may have triggered the explosion.

Supt Schramm said the situation could have been much worse had the blast happened later in the day in the usually busy retail and business section of the city.

"If it had happened other than in the early hours of this morning, clearly there would have been significant injuries," he said.

Supt Schramm said the front facade of 121 Pirie Street was extremely dangerous and would likely have to be brought down later today.

An area around the building has been declared a danger zone, limiting public access.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:02:34 PM by probie_boy »

probie_boy

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 02:16:04 PM »
just saw this unfortunate news:

THE body of a man has been found in an Adelaide cafe destroyed in an explosion early today.

Police said the body was located at the back of the cafe following a search of the premises.
Emergency services spent several hours searching the Pirie Street building, which houses the cafe and two other businesses in the city centre, after the man's vehicle was located nearby shortly after the 3am blast.

A police spokesman said the body was yet to be formally identified but was believed to be that of the missing man.

"A short time ago the body of a middle-aged man was located at the back of the premises.

"This brings to a conclusion the tragic circumstances for the family," South Australian police Superintendent Paul Schramm said at the scene.

Advertisement:
 A post-mortem examination will be held tomorrow.
The blast blew out the front and rear sections of the building and caused a big section of wall to collapse.

It also showered debris across the street and damaged a second building.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 03:14:24 PM »
Just walked around the perimeter of the incident site at lunch-time.
* SAPOL, MFS & SES Command vehicles near Hindmarsh Square
* multiple paid officer cars from SES, MFS, SAFECOM, SAPOL & SAAS.
* Sturt & Noarlunga SES USAR trailers, light rescue 4wds, heavy rescue trucks, Airshelta trailer.
* MFS rescue truck, pod & skip
* SAPOL cars & bikes manning perimeter.

I understand a selected debris removal process is currently being performed as well as extensive shoring of the building.

Pirie St is closed to motor vehicles from Hindmarsh Square to Gawler Place. Pedestrian access is blocked from Hindmarsh Square to near Wyatt St.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 01:40:21 AM »
Is there any info surfacing on what caused it?

PF_

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 07:55:52 AM »
gas leak has been rules out.  The man was apparently outside when it exploded and his keys were in his car.  Police wouldnt give away any clues to what they think might have happened.  SOunds kinda sinister.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 11:25:03 AM »
Some pics of the front kinda cleaned up today......

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 11:36:08 AM »
Some pics of the front kinda cleaned up today......

Sorry people, i cant get them loaded.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 12:26:58 PM »
We cant exactly say the cause was we'll have to wait and see as jumping to conclusions is a perfect way to get into alot of trouble 

Oh yeah mengcfs how are you & your brigade enjoying the newly reprogrammed scanner i hope its making your comms crew job alot easier  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
They have pulled most of the building down now i believe. They began at around 8pm last night.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 06:33:32 PM »
Sorry people, i cant get them loaded.

Hey Mengcfs,

Give ImageShack A Try It Even Creates The Forum Tags For Ya, Just Use Forum Option 1.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 03:31:33 PM »
Sturt SES have updated their website which contains some pictures of the crews working at Pirie Street explosion site.
See http://www.sturtrescue.com.au/gallery25.htm
Andrew Macmichael