Author Topic: Official Opening of Strath Base  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Official Opening of Strath Base
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »
Pulled the following off the promotions site:

Invitation to opening of new Strathalbyn Station 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Strathalbyn CFS Brigade extends an invitation to you to attend the opening of the Strathalbyn Country Fire Service Group Base, Forrest Road Strathalbyn,

On Sunday the 28th of May 2006, commencing 2.00pm followed by afternoon tea

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact details are on the promotions website, or PM me and Ill pass the info on to them......
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:38:49 PM by Mike »

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Official Opening of Strath Base
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:19:38 PM »
any pictures :?

probie_boy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »
on the promotions website there are photos of their station. Its a good set up. Unfortunately due to the new shopping centre being built the old station couldn't be replaced in its old spot, pretty well smack bang in the middle of town. Now its right out the southern side of town and they're about to build a new housing estate on the northern side. I would think that some response times, especially to the northern side of town, would be longer. But its still a good station!

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
Yep not a bad  shed.......how much did it cost????

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:34:04 AM »
I think they were looking around $350,000

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
on the promotions website there are photos of their station. Its a good set up. Unfortunately due to the new shopping centre being built the old station couldn't be replaced in its old spot, pretty well smack bang in the middle of town. Now its right out the southern side of town and they're about to build a new housing estate on the northern side. I would think that some response times, especially to the northern side of town, would be longer. But its still a good station!

probie_boy, what you say is true however;
Although the most substancial development is on the northern side of Strath, there are also several developments out to the south of town currently being established.
And although it seems now that the station/group base is in a far out location with respect to the town centre and its previous location on South Terrace, one would expect that in another 5 to 10 years, the Forrest Road location will be considered as part of the central township.
The station itself is very good, just a bit smaller than the old one, but electric roller doors are the real luxury.
Apart from the main disadvantage of being next door to the dump,
1) The new station is not located in a busy part of town, unlike the old station, where it was easily seen frequently by the public.
2) Also, due to the new loaction it means that the majority of the members have a 2 km longer drive to the station (all 50 zones), which means that Strath's average response time has jumped up by about 1 minute. Meaning they now have an average between 5 - 8 minutes, as opposed to 4 - 7 minutes at the old station, simply becasuse it takes longer for people to get to the station for a call.  However, an average around this mark is still very acceptable by anyones standards.

All in all, the station itself is great and I hope that it serves its purpose well for the Strathalbyn brigade and group for a long time!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 01:55:06 PM »
Anyone else expecting to head down? Apparently there is going to be few old appliances (including their old 32) and stuff to look over.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 01:08:34 PM »
I'll be there....

probie_boy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 03:30:39 PM »
yeah it could be interesting. I think strath have a really good setup down there, one of the best for a decent sized town like that.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 12:47:58 PM »
The opening was very good, i think everthing went to plan and the station, appliances and crews were very well presented.

I think by the looks of the growth in the town the brigade will have to look at applying for some form of more urban pumping appliance to deal with increasing urban calls and boosting etc.

Would be a very exciting brigade to be in at the moment as it is rapidly changing from a mostly rural role to a more urban role.

anything