Author Topic: use of training ground's  (Read 5768 times)

rescue5271

use of training ground's
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »
Tell me how many brigades'/groups have used the training grounds that are around the state of late and have they had to pay to use these site's... This is just a open question and I am just seeing what goes on in other parts of the state....

probie_boy

Re: use of training ground's
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:14:57 AM »
We sometimes go to Brukunga, in fact going next week. Don't know whether we have to pay for it though???

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »
Training grounds - what all three of them Brukunga, South Coast and naracoorte - na never had that issue - used Brukunga a few times when they had a deal going for training - have subesequently used it for additional training, above what we may need and had to pay for consumables!

Have NO problem with that, the centres should be there for everyone to use on an equal basis, not just those who are cloes to them and abuse them (or should I say over use them)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 03:26:40 PM »
Yes, we've used Brukunga several times for BA and rope training. We do have to pay for it, and its relatively expensive, so we like to do it with another brigade... (It think its ~$2000 to use the gas fire simulator for a night.)

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 03:37:26 PM »
STC is actually not that expensive to use for training, so people need to be aware of what they say, we often use it for BA exercises and the price ranges from $50 to $150 depending on what equipment eg ba sets you use.
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:44:25 PM »
Wow, thats much cheaper than i thought... is that using the Gas fires as well, or just the smoke room?

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 03:54:12 PM »
That is to use the BATA Smokehouse (Smoke and Heat)
BATA Recommisioning (Compressor, Sinks)
You have to organise it well in advance because a state training officer has to be on site for the training and it also helps if you can organise your own qualfied BA trainer/assessors and assistants to help run the exercise
You can hire extra sets from the STC at a cost per set.
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:13:38 PM »
Does this not sound strange to anyone?

Why should a brigade/group have to pay to use a training ground?  I mean fair enough they might want to limit the use so it doesnt get abused but really thats ridiculus! (spelling?)

Considering we are all funded from the same place and all to me im just at a loss.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 07:23:48 AM »
I agree with you camo,as I have found out of late one rule for one region and one rule for another and if you have friends in the top spot you don't have to pay...Does this sound fair???  NO way...If a group or brigade wants to use the training ground for a few hours they should be allowed to with out any cost... Why should we pay for it when in this day and age we should be opening our arms and those gate's and let members use the site other than sit there and not be used at all......If its there use it or lose it....

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 07:25:13 AM »
So tell me the assisant do you work for CFS as paid staff???

PF_

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
maybe the money goes towards keeping cost down for Brukunga and keeping it running and accesbible.  It is just a way to get money from charging brigades.

I dont know if this is how it is, just my thoughts.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:42:10 PM »
Not sure about Brukunga but i heard a rumour that last year the Region 5 Training budget was 100,000 in surplus....

So why would they or why do they need to charge us?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »
boy,that is a lot of cash camo could have made your new group H/Q with that.... :lol: :lol:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
just somethingto ponder, as i am indifferant,and not really too 'interested' inthis topic...

buthowcan the CFS pay tehCFS for the use of CFS equipment and training grounds... think aboutit,its all the CFS moneysimplymoving between areas...?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Brukunga is run by a private company, and not the CFS. as such they only get paid for the training that people do there, hence brigades having to pay when they go there...
(Or am i getting confused with the brukunga catering?)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
yeh i think yourconfused...

:wink:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 06:13:03 PM »
ahh well... excellent food anyway ;)

strikeathird

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 07:05:01 PM »
All the same money, just bill the govt. direct, leave the budget for equip and operational needs...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 01:49:48 PM »
Could the problem be that Brukunga is a multi-agency used training facility now that SAFECOM exists. For example, SES use Brukunga for vertical rescue training (maybe USAR in the future, given some equipment is stored there).

Maybe the 'user pays' principle is to ensure all agencies budgets are used for the facility, rather than just CFS.

I would assume from the prices stated previously (they are cheap if you include the catering), that outside organisations are charged commercial rates if they use the venue (eg conferences). So a discount does apply to the CFS brigades if prices stated previously are accurate.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything