Author Topic: Urban Fire Station Contruction  (Read 17499 times)

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Urban Fire Station Contruction
« on: May 20, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »
Does anybody know what the standards of construction are going to be in regards to new station contruction for Urban CFS Brigades. There hasnt been an Urban station built for quiet some time. Surely they arent going to build a "shed" on the side of a road in an urban environment. And urban stations differ greatly in the type of equipment kept there and their physical location.

If the CFS where to build a new station for an urban brigade (lets use Eden Hills as an example) What would it look like? Would it be on a main road? would it have traffic control lights (orange orange red)? and would it have some of the mod cons of an MFS Station (I dont want this to be a "CFS trying to be MFS" Thread)

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Fire Station Contruction
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 08:47:59 PM »
As far as i am aware.... And i have had a little to do with the building of a new station. There is only a design for a rural, rural urban, urban rural and group base. All of which are based around a shed.
Del

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 08:48:16 PM »
Who knows, i have to say that in Victoria the build the best Volunteer fire stations around,you go to a small town like nhill,which is urban/ rural they have a new brick station drive throu and it looks like a fire station.. there will never be a standard URBAN fire station as they can't get the fire appliances right for some urban brigades.

These are issues that need to be delt with at group/regional level and we should all have some input into what is needed for our own brigade area. It does not matter if you are urban or rural we all need basic needs(toilet/shower). There are rural brigades in busy urban areas but they still have a tin shed.....

Toast

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 03:01:51 AM »
Tin shed. Thats it. Separate engine bay and comms meeting room. Appauling.

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
Thats what i thought... The CFA stations are awesome! has anyone seen the station in Lorne. its co-located with the rural ambulance with 3 cfa bays and 2 ambulance. its two story so i can only imagine how much space there is up there, yet they only do 50 - 100 calls a year!

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »
this is a state of the art station (lorne cfa) bust brigade/group on the coastly road they where well over due for the new station and its not a bad looking size..Just goes to show you that you can have all emergency services in the one station.Summer the town grows in size with tourist and so they call for expression of interest from CFA volunteers that may be having their holidyas to turn out with them. I think they also have a paid staff member over summer...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »
I went to Riddles Creek several years ago with my parents to celebrate easter at my dad's brothers house on easter sunday i went for a walk down to have a look at the Riddles Creek CFA shed

It has 3 bays one for each appliance as well as a meeting/communications room... i happened to be lucky enough to go inside the station itself as the volunteers were doing training on that very morning
Kalangadoo Brigade

PF_

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »
How come Retained MFS stations are all made of brick like full time MFS stations while CFS usually alway smake do with sheds? 

(genuine question, not bitching about MFS vs CFS)

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »
Thats the $50,000 question.........Also one has to have a look at the cost of land and the shed and why when you says its for a fire station the price goes up....

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 01:04:20 AM »
take a look around the only recently built CFS stations rural or urban are built around a 'shed'....

mind you there are several out there with traffic lights out the front.

pumprescue

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:55:25 AM »
Guys there is a design for the different brigades like rural, urban, and group base, real technical designs, it is the size of the tin the varies...... :-D

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
I believe an urban station gets a concrete path around the outside, thats about the only difference.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »
Thats the $50,000 question.........Also one has to have a look at the cost of land and the shed and why when you says its for a fire station the price goes up....

it's not cos it's for a fire station that the price goes up, it's cos it's for govt.  If I was a builder I'd charge lots more for govt jobs to cover all the paperwork, delays and wrangling not to mention the risk of it taking ages to get paid.

personally I don't see anything wrong with building them out of iron but maybe I'm weird cos I'd be happy with a house based on a converted shed (wife won't have it though).

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 11:21:06 AM »
So.... What makes a urban station more deserving of a brick building than a rural station?

Appliance needs differ..... buildings do not.

The workmanship may leave somewhat to be desired, but in the end they dont actually LOOK that bad; and lets face it they do what they are required to do. Considering some brigades are still lacking a toilet, I dont think you have a lot to complain about!

What would you say if you were joining up, and were told you had to go pee on a tree??? great image isnt it!

*biting tongue now*

PF_

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
We should all get double bay MFS stations just like Salisbury and Golden Grove!  But seriously a brick station really does look nicer and presents a better image to the public, especially in more urban areas.

(for those who take things seriously, I am not 100% serious)

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 09:06:42 PM »
I agree with you mike....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 09:39:07 PM »
Our station use to not have a toilet being its an ex council depot but we got funding as well as assistance from a local plumber (which i may add who is now in queensland doing the same job) to do the plumbing & installing once the limestone add on toliet block was built
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »
We should all get double bay MFS stations just like Salisbury and Golden Grove!  But seriously a brick station really does look nicer and presents a better image to the public, especially in more urban areas.

(for those who take things seriously, I am not 100% serious)

p f i think you are thinking of elizabeth and Golden grove?
salisbury is and old station that does not look like it is going to be rebuilt any time soon.
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

PF_

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 12:05:59 AM »
Yes, my bad!  I was thinking of ELizabeth pictured it in my mind and knew it was ELizabeth, dont know why I wrote Salisbury :?

probie_boy

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 03:24:04 PM »
hmmm yes. anyways, I have always preferred the look of the brick stations, never been a fan of the tin shed. As someone said earlier, brick stations present a better image, even in small towns. See in a small town it couldn't hurt, for example, here is clayton's CFS station. Now clayton is a small town in strath group, heres their station:

now if this station was to even have a brick shed on the site instead, perhaps even with an alcove within the shed with a radio and a little bar fridge. Surely this can be done?!?!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 03:51:43 PM »
They do have a little office and stuff in the back of that shed.....

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 04:10:58 PM »
Do you classify CFS Strathalbyn's new HQ, CFS Morphett Vale, CFS Port Elliot/SES South Coast and CFS/SES Kingston SE has sheds ? Personally I thought a shed was like a large agriculture or slightly bigger than a two car garage.

Having completed some training at the Port Elliot building, I think they make a good model because they combine all of the required facilities. But it is built from metal.

I think the environment where the building is built should be considered rather than just what the building looks like. For example, I believe you should get better facilities to protect volunteers from the heat, cold and rain. If this means airconditioning in crew relief areas, so be it.

This is in addition to the basics of a toilet, crew change space, crew lockers, meeting/training/ops/welfare room, enough space for all equipment, etc, etc.

In regards to 'emergency wig-wags' I personally think the idea of traffic light control would be better. I understand CFS Seaford have this on the Commercial Rd / Seaford Rd intersection.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:23:51 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 04:40:32 PM »
I don't believe they personally have control from their station, they can ring a number and qoute traffic light numbers within their route to the operator and they can change the lights for them, as can any briagde who has traffic lights.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

probie_boy

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 06:02:03 PM »
that would be sweet as.

oh by the way, aldgate have amber lights, like school crossing ones, and I believ they are activated when the doors open

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 10:06:11 PM »
I believe Salisbury (CFS) also can ring the TSA and request certain traffic light routes from their station. Would make life a lot easier especially at peak times.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

anything