Author Topic: Petrol Engine Pumps?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Petrol Engine Pumps?
« on: May 24, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
Heard Bradbury and other Brigades have gone back to petrol engine pumps,was wondering the reason for it?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol Engine Pumps?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »
sounds strange to me... im no mechanic or engine-head... but isnt the reason we moved away from those due to them... umm... whats the proper word... vaporising (that cant be right, but im sure people know what i mean).

mind you we have had the auxilliary pump on board forever and thats a petrol riven one...

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
Heard Bradbury and other Brigades have gone back to petrol engine pumps,was wondering the reason for it?

Bradbury didn't ask for it!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:41:40 PM »
CFS fitted Petrol pumps on all the new 14's, to save money.  I believe they are now taking them back and replacing them with Diesel ones again though...

Toast

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »
Yep, the refit cost them more.

Its nice to see that the CFS has their head screwed on correctly and have learnt from lessons in the past.

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »
Love it take 3 steps back into the old days fit petrols pumps,now remove them as they are a problem..mmmmmmmmmmm yet again waste of money......

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »
Balhannah complained about getting a petrol pump on their new 14 and were told they would have to wait longer to get a diesel pump one. They said that was fine and they waited. CFS said that as the pumps were so high up on the deck and a newer design they wouldnt vaporise. But why would you take the chance surely diesel is the way to go.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 09:54:13 PM »
Petrol pumps on the last batch of 14 Canters....some of the comments are half right......

Originally, the batch of around 8 Mitsubishi Canters were to be fitted with petrol pumps.  There were some complaints from some people, about having a petrol pump on their appliance, - the basis of their complaints was that petrol powered engines can vaporise in hot weather, and CFS then investigated replacing them with Diesel pumps.

My old appliance (just retired in December) had a petrol pump motor - and in 20 years did not have a problem with it due to the petrol engine.   I suspect many of those who had experience with vaporising petrol engines, did so with old technology - eg Petrol-driven appliances from the 1970's / early 1980's (and probably before!) often had mechanical fuel pumps, and when stuck on the side of a steep hill for a while, in 40 degree temperatures, the mechanical fuel pumps couldn't cope....

So CFS then investigated fitting the appliances with a diesel powered pump.  Part of the problem was extra weight of the diesels vs the petrol pumps.

Once a pump motor had been selected (a Kubota - 3 cylinder I think) there were a few issues with the motor being very noisy (the noise being emitted was over 100 decibels).  So there was a delay in sorting that problem out.

Eventually, the problem was rectified, and a number of the appliances fitted out with the diesel pumps. 

As I understand it, weight was more of a consideration, than cost of the pumps.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

anything