Author Topic: Future Appliances  (Read 25003 times)

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Future Appliances
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »

Please correct Me if I'm wrong....wasn't the Fireking the one that got bogged while trying to get up a gentle slope at Kuitpo forest on the day it was shown to the media..

What ever happened to.....*You can get on any CFS Appliance across the State and all be the same**?? :-P

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2006, 11:10:46 AM »
It would be good to see them bring back the 32's for sum parts of the state where the tall trucks cant get to places cos of size of them but they carrie the same as the 34 the only diff is the drive there is only 3 left in the state.  :| :-D

What is the point in most areas of having a 2wd appliance?   Almost every (all?) CFS brigades have some rural component....having only a 2 wd can limit a brigade's ability to respond to that sort of area.......

And at least 2 of the "32's " (although Pumper is the correct call sign now) will be gone soon....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 11:54:58 AM »
It would be good to have similar or the same accross the state but then there would be no new development in the annnual batches of trucks.

Other that a Hino and roller doors are there any other major diffrences in New 34s?

I think we should come up wit hsome trucks like Picadilly Summertown and Bridgewater 14 as they are a smaller and yet have more space than the utes.

I agree it would be good to see more CAFS on CFS trucks

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2006, 12:32:19 PM »
....Other that a Hino and roller doors are there any other major diffrences in New 34s?.....I agree it would be good to see more CAFS on CFS trucks

The CFS Volunteer magazine described a new monitor style. Also another CAFS vehciles and automatic transmission on a vehicle.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline boss

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • elvis has left the building
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2006, 02:02:06 PM »
I can tell you now the 32 can go any where off road  just as long it is not a step slop they might not have the clearens  or the 4wd set up but they get there and do the job.  :evil:
we save lives, we breath smoke, we eat ash, why do we do it? cos it's a way of life for us that we have chosen to take

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »
My opinion only. It would be wonderful if every CFS brigade had a selection of appliances at their disposal to suit every concievable emergency situation, but this is the real world.  I feel there is still strong need for 32/Pumper style appliances, particularly in urban areas.   Ultimately even the concept of Scanias for Urban CFS brigades should be worth consideration, as long as these same brigades also have a suitable 4WD appliance in the shed.  Our brigade once had the combination of a 32/Pumper and a 24, (which was later replaced by a 24P snail).  There were times when the 32 was required to attend off road jobs and from what I understand had absolutely no problems accessing most of the grass, scrub, paddock, woods etc in our area.  Even some of the heavier going areas of NP's and gorges have fire access tracks quite suitable for 2WD.  The advantage of 32/Pumpers being usually faster and more agile and can carry more equipment.

I thinks CFS is on the right track with 14, 24, 24P, 34, 34P and Pumper/Rescue adequately covering all risks.

But we can still dream that one day our brigade will have a Scania and a 34P in the shed.  I won't hold my breath though.  (We would settle for a nice type 2 instead)  :-D

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
The CFS doesnt build 24s anymore... Its sad to lose this mid size appliance. You may dream for a 34P in your shed, but I dread the day that happens.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2006, 06:40:48 PM »
It would be nice to see rescues built seperate to say something like a 34P.

I realise this wont happen as we dont have the budget for it  but it always concerns me when a rescue brigade is tied up at prolonged job with their rescue appliance (Say Barker Rescue for example, Not having a dig at barker its just an easy appliance to refer to) and therefore can not respond to a rescue. 

And its not always possible to do a COQ as this usually just creates another gap in rescue coverage.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »
its too bad we cant follow NPWSA and get appliances like they have, has anyone seen South East Bravo 14 thats one of those ford trucks that looks like a four wheel drive  :-D believe me its real comfy sitting in side

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
Your right, CFS aren't building 24's currently.  This is a shame, as in a lot of circumstances were more practical than the current sized 24P.  With CFS obviously going away from single cab appliances (not including refurbs) we are seeing a physically larger generation of appliance.  At least the more recent batch of 24P's were turbo.  I only hope that the next generation Hino's have the turbo option. See another thread on this subject.  I live and hope that CFS learn soemthing from previous mistakes (circa 2000 24P snail)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
Dont worry the new hinos are turboed
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2006, 12:53:21 AM »
I can tell you now the 32 can go any where off road  just as long it is not a step slop they might not have the clearens  or the 4wd set up but they get there and do the job.  :evil:

Well that rules out almost every fire track, and half the driveways in my area!!

And I recall several years ago, a certain brand new 32 travelled down a fire track within my Group area (against the wishes of the Incident Controller) - and promptly got stuck when a fire snuck up underneath it, and burnt out the air lines....trapping several other appliances further down the track....

The other appliances eventually got out, but 32 was left sitting out by itself overnight, until the mechanic come out the next day...   :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2006, 07:03:40 AM »
Had a look at the new hino's that are up at moore's the other day they are not as high as the current 34twin cab and there is not as much room in the cab for members.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2006, 06:02:26 PM »
just the Hino chassie or have they already built a truck?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2006, 08:04:12 PM »
There is a truck that is about 1/3 complete was in the yard the other day when i was there..
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »
any Pics?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2006, 07:20:42 AM »
I was asked not to take any pictures due to the media still floating around.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline boss

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
I was referring to most adelaide plains aera where it is mostly flat ground for the 32's to run on and which units are to be replace out of the 32's. :roll:
we save lives, we breath smoke, we eat ash, why do we do it? cos it's a way of life for us that we have chosen to take

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »
I was asked not to take any pictures due to the media still floating around.....

Yeah like there was plenty of focus on Moore's about the problems with the 34's of Kangarilla and Mclaren Flat...one more piccy wouldnt have hurt :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2006, 07:48:48 PM »
Dont know if there would be many cab chassis that would be suitable as a 24. With the turbos all of the Isuzus are pretty high and you would still need something that could take a reasonable payload. We dont want a repeat of the Hino Kestrel fiasco.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2006, 12:44:11 AM »
I was referring to most adelaide plains aera where it is mostly flat ground for the 32's to run on and which units are to be replace out of the 32's. :roll:

Murray Bridge has just been replaced, Burnside Pumper will be replaced soon, which leaves Cleve 32 / Pumper as the only Pumper in the CFS fleet which is more than about 10 years old (excluding refurbished ones) ....I figure at some stage that will be replaced, but I haven't heard anything about if / when that is going to happen..

Pip

Offline boss

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2006, 01:29:59 AM »
what about Riverton 32 and Brinkworth 32 i can tell you now that riverton 32 is still running strong it out runs saddleworth 34 which is the same age. :mrgreen:

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2006, 07:41:47 AM »
Naracoorte pumper is almost 10 years old and is offline TFN due to rust and other problems....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2006, 09:24:27 AM »
Naracoorte pumper is almost 10 years old and is offline TFN due to rust and other problems....

Hmmmm was looking at the government auctions site the other day and they are selling the old Hino's for between $18,000 and $22,000.Not much of a return on an outlay of $90,000 for the older Hino's with low k's,but then again who would want them eh :lol:

Images are copyright

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2006, 11:27:16 AM »
what about Riverton 32 and Brinkworth 32 i can tell you now that riverton 32 is still running strong it out runs saddleworth 34 which is the same age. :mrgreen:

As I understand it, these are 32's, not Pumpers.....Saddleworth 34 is currently out of service due to crash damage, not specifically its age...

The problem for CFS now is a) funding to replace all the appliances that reach the age limit / break down & need replacement, and b) having enough staff to facilitate / coordinate the process

Pip

anything