Author Topic: volunteer summit  (Read 8880 times)

rescue5271

Re: volunteer summit
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 03:43:48 PM »
I have just spent teh last few days around the south east with work and a number of people have asked me how where people picked to go to the summit and it would have been better if it was help in each region and open to all members rather than 120 people.......

Offline Crankster 34

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 06:08:20 PM »
it would have been better if it was help in each region and open to all members rather than 120 people

hmmm, maybe but then you risk getting a room full of nuffers with little to contribute. At least this way you should get a few people that will hopefully come forward with some decent ideas.

I heard that Euan Fergusson had already committed a portion of next years budget to whatever comes out of the forum, lets hope they all vote in a pay rise for everyone  :mrgreen:
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

rescue5271

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »
Don't know how he can do that as it was a rumor that our budget was getting cut....so wait and see

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2006, 09:51:27 AM »
I understand its going well after talking to one of our rural captains wife last night who said hubby was having a good time.. the only hick up was that the car they said he could have was not able to leave the region on friday till after 6pm :x and they had to be booked in by 2200hrs now with friday night traffice they would have had to break a few road rule's....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 05:20:28 PM »
4 July 2006 - 4:30 PM
Media Release : OUTCOMES OF CFS VOLUNTEER SUMMIT
Media Release
About 120 SA Country Fire Service (CFS) volunteers attended the inaugural Volunteer Summit on Saturday and Sunday, 1-2 July, at the Fort Largs Police Academy.
 CFS Deputy Chief Officer, Andrew Lawson said the purpose of the Summit was to bring together CFS volunteers to identify, discuss and propose opportunities for improving the way that CFS plans and undertakes its business over the next few years.
 “As a community based organisation we rely heavily on the dedication and continuing commitment of our volunteers and we were keen to hear what they had to say on a range of topics,” Andrew said.
 “The CFS is committed to continuous improvement and we believe the outcomes of this forum will assist the CFS in improving its already high standards and increase its organisational capacity to meet the needs of the community in the future,” he said.
 Aside from several presentations from experts in emergency management and volunteering, a series of workshops were held to develop practical ideas for future development.
 Five different workshops were covered the topics of volunteer recruitment and retention, leadership, technology and equipment, organisational systems, community engagement.
 A number of central themes emerged from the workshops over the two days including:
 · The need to promote to the community that CFS volunteers are true volunteers, and are not paid, but choose to support and protect the communities they live in through being a member of the CFS.
 · The need for increased and widespread succession planning and transfer of knowledge to younger people through different forums.
· The need for more exploration in how the organisation can recruit more volunteers, and a review of training and induction processes.
· The need for increased volunteer and employer recognition
· The need for enhanced mutual aid between CFS brigades and private farm firefighting units
· Greater inclusion of CFS volunteers in decision making processes in areas such as policy development
· The potential for increased research, development and standardisation of tools and equipment
· The potential for discussion on the selection process for volunteer leadership positions, with consideration to ranks being awarded based on a merit process rather than through an election process.
· The potential for the introduction of distance education for some elements of training courses to ease pressure on rural volunteers having to spend time away from home.
 These recommendations, and about 50 other sub recommendations, have been presented to the CFS Chief Officer, Euan Ferguson for further discussion, development and consultation with CFS volunteers.
Click on the URL below to go to the full text of the message

http://www.cfs.org.au/media/article.asp?pArticleID=843

rescue5271

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:01 PM »
Did anyone take any photo's of the weekend?? and did those that went enjoy the summit and should we have one every year????

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 09:03:08 PM »
a couple of our members went along and said they quite enjoyed it... not sure about photos though.... i reckon most of them would be of the inside of conferance rooms anyway  :mrgreen:

rescue5271

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 09:18:08 PM »
Did not see /hear any media storys on it till today on ABC radio.............

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
Hi there

MY VIEWS OF THE CONFERENCE:

I will admit I went to the conference with uncertainty but can back think we as a group achieve heaps.  In saying this - take into consideration Rome wasn't built overnight. 

The organization listened & documented all points raised - with the end result to try and streamline/improve the organization for the future - some have probably heard this before but I feel confident.

PS Blinky CFS VFBA promotions have taken pictures (pip).

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

anything