Author Topic: station turn out  (Read 21434 times)

rescue5271

station turn out
« on: June 15, 2006, 03:46:11 PM »
We have been having a few problems when we turn out from our station with lights and siren going, cars,bikes,trucks and those on feet dont stop??? It has been a on going problem for sometime and we sure would like to have a set of flashing lights out the front of our station so as to warn people/cars that we are coming out..does anyone else have this problem? if so what have you done about it? we will be sending in near miss forms from now on and see if this helps...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: station turn out
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »
Just pull out in front of them....KIDDING :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

PF_

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
If you have seen video's of yanks responding when they get traffic or people in the way they lean out the window and scream blue murder at them.  That can work, toot the horn, yell, blast the siren.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »
Pity you cannot transfer the spare set of emergency wig-wags lights that are currently installed on Main North Road, Prospect. They are not being used because Prospect SES moved LHQ's years ago from the council depot, but the lights were never taken down.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 06:08:58 PM »
We have yelled, pulled out in front and they still kept coming,sad part one night I was driving to a chimney fire at the pub lights and siren on and a CFS command car would not stop that was driving up smith st, going to the regional office for a farewell party.........

PF_

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:58:31 PM »
Isnt it a legal requirement for acrs to give way to all emergency vehicles with flashing lights.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »
We had the problem of brigade members not hearing their pager go off and only hearing the station siren sounding but were aware of what was going on... so we had a red beacon installed just outside the station door on the gutter so when the siren is manually activated the beacon turns on

This helps us alot with controlling traffic that drives by the station if were ready to roll as the cars & trucks can see the red beacon going signalling were about to roll out of the station
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »
Isnt it a legal requirement for acrs to give way to all emergency vehicles with flashing lights.
Not when you're trying to get home from work :-D
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 09:37:03 PM »
if there not going to stop for lights sirens/air horn on the truck then nothing is going to make any differance mate

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »
Pity you cannot transfer the spare set of emergency wig-wags lights that are currently installed on Main North Road, Prospect. They are not being used because Prospect SES moved LHQ's years ago from the council depot, but the lights were never taken down.

dont like to correct people but the lights you are talking about are in use by mfs, had to stop at them the other day
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:39:01 PM »
We have the same problem with people ignoring us, not only exiting the station but at every intersection...
I get the impression people think they can do what they like around the CFS as we can't do anything to them.  Everyone drives well around police cars..

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 12:48:22 AM »
It would be handy for a brigade to have an off duty cop on their trucks when stupid stuff goes down they can always have stern words or act afterwards???? I've been given the finger a couple times because i tooted some idiot as i went past because it took them about a km to move out of the way.

Just put the cctv system into appliance's and get non compliant drivers on tape.  :-D

NOT IN OUR LIFETIMES :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 09:44:36 AM »

dont like to correct people but the lights you are talking about are in use by mfs, had to stop at them the other day

I am glad you did correct me. Now I have learnt something new that a MFS station exists near that location. Thanks.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »
All well and good to pull out in front etc but if they hit you its your fault...go figure.

With the sound proofing and idiocy of drivers and doof doof music its no wonder people dont listen/pay attention to sirens.  Cant say we have had a hell of a lot of trouble.

Also wondering whether the sirens on CFS trucks are up to scratch as well....seem alot quieter then the other services.  or maybe its just our truck or im going deaf could be any of them.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 06:44:36 PM »
same issue for all services i think, except police command a little more respect, since they can actually do something about it...

mind you i can never hear saas/samfs/sapol when im driving even without the radio turned on... i usually see the lights first.

pumprescue

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 10:00:17 PM »
Ok first problem the public think we are council trucks no fire appliances.

If you are having problems with being seen your brigade should seriously consider upgrading your lights/warning devices and striping. Look at appliances like Mt Barker pumper and Rescue which have been upgraded from standard lighting they stand out a lot more. Also I know Mt Barker have lights on their station and on Adelaide road warning emergency vehicles entering.

For Info and prices on lighting check out -http://www.emergencyandsafety.com.au/

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 10:19:16 PM »
aaah but what to do when you get knocked back anyway?

strikeathird

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 11:33:09 PM »
16T truck versus a 1.5T car... I rekon I know who will move first !

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »
especially with some of the great bullbars being used out there...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 12:51:31 AM »
It would be great to upraged the lighting but with what "Trading Stamps"??

But if you look at most of the trucks bought out nowadays all the flashing led's and the like are positioned just under the windscreen and invisible to the car in front unless you sit back 100m from the car. So why don't the CFS use their head and put all of these fantastic Hi Visibility flashers in the grill of the truck or someplace lower where they can be seen at eye level easier???
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 01:02:09 AM »
Because that would require CFS to realise trucks are higher then most cars and especially in the new 4wd appliances they are way too high. best place is the bullbar or grill so they are at eye level.  :mrgreen:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 01:20:35 AM »
Agree, but forward thinking would be too hard to do... If you look at the led's on the front of the new 34 appliance's they actually point outward not straight forward because they've been placed on a curved surface. Jackasses....
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 01:52:42 AM »
How many appliances come with headlight flashers? Fantastic during the day for attracting attention. How about the white response lights aimed at alerting drivers to the responding appliance? Both of these cause an obvious flash in the rear view mirror of other cars (having been subjected to it myself). Are these becoming standard with the introduction of bar lights and V-lights?

In terms of the siren, I was coming up Glen Osmond rd. the other night with 441 coming toward me P1. Oddly the siren was no where near as loud as I had suspected it would be.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 02:04:34 AM »
In terms of the siren, I was coming up Glen Osmond rd. the other night with 441 coming toward me P1. Oddly the siren was no where near as loud as I had suspected it would be.

its all physics...

re; headlight flashers... im under the impression they are standard on every CFS appliance.

pumprescue

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 08:25:48 AM »
Headlight flashers should be on all appliances, if you don't have them jump onto your group or region and get them fitted for extra safety devices. As soon as you mention safety you will push the issue more. All brigades that work on major roads/freeways can push this safety point a lot, crews safety come first...

anything