Author Topic: Small incident catering  (Read 13445 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Small incident catering
« on: June 16, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
This is a question to all the services, not just CFS...

What procedures do you have in place for relatively small incidents?  For example, if major crash need to investigate an MVA, and you have to sit around for 3 hours providing fire cover, is there a system in place that will make sure you're fed?

I've heard some groups have standard practices to get Pizza / Hamburgers if an incident runs longer than a certain amount of time..?  My group has 'strike team packs' on the trucks, but these are only on trucks that go on strike teams, which leaves the long MVA's, house fires, etc. uncovered...

PF_

Re: Small incident catering
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »
wikid, call in a pizza while waiting is a good idea.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »
been to a fair few jobs that have been prolonged, and never been fed.

i reckon the only time ive actually been fed atan incident was yankalilla strike team a few years ago... and that was after 7odd hours on the ground anyway.... hence why it is always a good idea to have snacks and stuff on the appliance.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:48:57 PM »
If its a prolonged RCR/fatality we usually get some one to bring out an urn with tea/coffee/biscuits. Always welcome on a cold night and the coppers appreciate it too.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:17:19 PM »
toughen up.

bottles of cold water from the appliance fridge, and crackers.

PF_

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »
crackers, ohh mister la dee da fancy.  You got something against half eaten already stale bread?

Maybe you might get lucky and the crashed car is coming home from the supermarket, can have a feed then.... :-P

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 10:48:27 PM »
stale bread..... hmmm

strikeathird

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 11:16:24 PM »
Toughen up......

hehehe...

Nah, I agree - We are volunteers and at the end of the day waiting 6 hours for major crash etc is a big ask... Maybe implement a group policy - like a local food store has an account set up, like subway or the likes (i have heard of this in the past)...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 12:44:04 AM »
We have comfort packs on our trucks which contain, GasMate cooker, kettle, coffee/milo, lollies, musli bars, milk, biscuits. Tecnically were not meant to touch them until an incident runs in to a couple hours but we often can't help ourselves.

A couple years ago we had a lady join our auxillary who was a lead caterer in the NSWRFS, at the moment if an incident is lokking to run more than three hours we can have hot food like a BBq, and cake, drinks etc for up to 40 people ready within half an hour of calling her, however unless group approves it, it comes at our brigades expense which is worth it a lot of the time.

But listening to some of you guys we've got it pretty sweet compared to others.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 11:12:07 AM »
Nothin like two/three year old fruit cake and fruit bars to push away the starvation!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
Nothin like two/three year old fruit cake and fruit bars to push away the starvation!

Yeah one of the first big incidents I attended (still a cadet - don't ask) resulted in us being fed frozen fruit cake at about 0730 after a full night of firefighting.

Seriously though, our brigade keeps a supply of frozen lasagna in foil trays in the freezer - just add heat. We also have frozen pies pasties and sausage rolls that can be heated in quick time and taken out to the scene, this food will last forever in the freezer so it makes a good quick option that's always ready to go.

Hot water for tea and coffee always goes as well, if it's Summer then cold cordial goes.

It's pretty easy to cater for up to about 40 people quickly, anything more than that and we let the Group Catering Coordinator handle it.

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »
Nothing like a good operational group support brigade !!  :wink:

Every group should have one !  :mrgreen:

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 08:06:11 AM »
a couple of the boys around our way have very high metabolisms (sp).... they soon get the ball rolling if its needed (the right way!)

but its generally tea/coffee/bikkies etc...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 09:58:30 AM »
One of the metro SES Units ran a 24 hour USAR exercise last year. The rescue teams self catered using army ration packs during the exercise. I understand a supply is now in the vehicles.

I understand the ruling is that each Unit is to self cater for the first 24 hours of operation.

Thank god for the Salvos catering truck.....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
well, CFS_firey, we went to a prolonged RCR with you guys and someone from your brigade rocked up with a thermace, tea, coffee, bikkies and a couple of cans of soft drink. That was a hit, especially with the cops, who seemed to just mob the thing. they came out of nowhere!

i've been to a fire where after about 5 hours, we had a briefing of what we're gonna do now etc. mid way through the brief someone just rocks up in a group car and throws about 10 pizza boxes and about 30 loaves of garlic bread on the bonnet and says "there ya go boys". i don't think anyone listened to the end of the briefing. then when we left we got fed by salvos at the local footy club.

salvo's = awesome

strikeathird

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 06:24:56 PM »
Nothing beats the Parndana pub for tea after you have arrived on K.I and they don't know what to do with you !!  :-D

(then to sleep for 9 hours and then hit the fire ground !!  :roll: )

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 07:52:55 AM »
We have a very good set up here in Naracoorte we have a catering trailer that we send out with drinks,food and if needed  we can send out the meat to cook on the BBQ that is fitted to the unit. If its late at night we have access to after hours contacts for woolworths,the baker,or the pub if we need accommodation for anyone.But you have to have a good back up in people to do this and we have a very switched on Auxiliary and with one phone call we can have 5 members down cooking at all hours of the day and night..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 04:09:04 PM »
I can remember responding to a large grass fire out at Monbulla a couple years ago and our DGO catered for the brigades out there by purchasing pizzas from a local deli in Penola and handing them out during lunch break :-D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:13:26 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 05:53:51 PM »
perhaps we could carry cans of this stuff around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NslAj4zw8HM

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »
i think I'd rather go hungy medevac... :-o

strikeathird

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »
can't see it at work, what is it ??

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »
TV commercial made by some American comedy show.  The company thats being advertised has is selling a whole lot of products pre-mixed, to save time... Donuts and coffee, milk and cookies, coffee and cigarettes, pizza and beer, tea and crackers, beer and pretzels etc
erghh :P

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 08:11:08 AM »
you never know... with a bit of extra blending and some more refinement it might take off one day ;)

cant say Id be to keen though, some of that looked discusting!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 09:25:32 AM »
SES have an urn etc in one of their rescue appliances...we were very glad of a cuppa at 3 in the morning..and it was freezing cold..

We are supposed to carry ration packs that can sustain your crew for the first 6 hrs...ours struggles to be refilled...I often grab a box of shapes on my way out..

If it looks like its going to go any distance and it's been or coming up to a meal time..we start asking for sustainance early...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 01:01:33 PM »
We have a very good set up here in Naracoorte we have a catering trailer that we send out with drinks,food and if needed  we can send out the meat to cook on the BBQ that is fitted to the unit. If its late at night we have access to after hours contacts for woolworths,the baker,or the pub if we need accommodation for anyone.But you have to have a good back up in people to do this and we have a very switched on Auxiliary and with one phone call we can have 5 members down cooking at all hours of the day and night..

Blinky, what training do your auxiliary do ? Our old SES Welfare section had to do First Aid and radio. Then later on, they had to do a council based 'food preparation' hygiene course.

Are they all partners of brigade members or people who just want to help, but not on a truck ?

I hope they get good recognition, because they would be genuine helpers not after the 'lights & sirens' adrenalin rush.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.