Author Topic: Citizens Band & Amateur Radio Used During Large Scale Incidents  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Hiya everyone since I'm so bored today due to having nothing to do i figured it would be the best time to bring up another topic to add to my number of postings on this site

Its not often that you hear on the news or see in a newspaper about CB or Amateur Radio being used during large scale incidents but these types of radios are often operated by operations support or organizations like WICEN,ACREM,ACBRO behind the scenes of an incident

27 MHz,HF,Amateur & UHF CB Radio are radio systems that would come very much in handy should our SAGRN & VHF Fire Ground radios fail in a major disaster like a big rural fire

What is everyone else's thoughts on this topic
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:23:14 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

Re: Citizens Band & Amateur Radio Used During Large Scale Incidents
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:00:38 PM »
Are you making a statement or asking a question ?

Cause that was like reading a media release... Can't really reply to that.... :?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:16:04 AM »
GRN doesnt have to fail for us to use UHF CB..... I can remember it being used in almost every major flooding operation weve had.....

Its all part of making the best (and most appropriate) use of your resources.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
Last time I worked with WICEN (amateur radio) was during the Ash Wednesday fires. This was pre-GRN.

I understand that aerials for them are on the roof of the SEOC building and they have done recent training on the GRN system (see http://www.sa.wicen.org.au/activities.htm#TRAINING). I know some friends who are loosely affiliated with WICEN. They use private equipment (amateur UHF & HF) and are very good/dedicated people in radio work.

Certainly WICEN could take voice traffic load off GRN if used between major command centres in a major incident. This in theory would allow mobile vehicles to have priority on the GRN.

Tried to get some vehicle mount UHF CB's for our Unit but unable due to budget and convincing usefulness of them. Members currently carry private ownership, low powered portables when active.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »
Its the same with CFS some of us have UHF and or 27 MHz CB Radios in our vehicles so if we come across an incident and out of mobile phone range thats where our radios come in handy

Im fortunate enough to have a UH013 UHF & Scanner CB Radio in my car which can pick up SAGRN voice traffic no matter where i go..... during my Green Corps training/work everyday while on the way home from work i'd listen to Forestry SA weather report at 4pm

Since Amateur Radio has become the fashion in radio operations i have made a couple of phone calls and arranged to collect a Foundation Licence training manual to study before going for the exam
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
....Since Amateur Radio has become the fashion in radio operations i have made a couple of phone calls and arranged to collect a Foundation Licence training manual to study before going for the exam

I plan to study for the amateur radio license later in the year (work require me to complete IT exams first). Will get some help from friends esp in morse code (I think it is still a exam requirement).

But the amateur radio equipment is very expensive. So unless I can buy some second hand equipment, I will not be on the airwaves until late 2007.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:23:34 PM »
The foundation licence only costs $25.00 to go for and allows radio operations from 3 MHz-470MHz but with a certain output of power if you are successful in passing the exam

As for me i've been into getting an amateur radio licence for a few years now but only have small amount of electronics/maths knowledge so this Foundation Licence is right up my alley  :-D

Plus i'll be only working from a handheld if i get my licence until i can afford to buy an expensive base radio
Kalangadoo Brigade

Toast

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »
I don't quite understand what youre getting at Rob. Are you saying that we should carry CB/HF etc... radios just incase the rest of the system falls over?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »
As the saying goes its better safe than sorry  :-)

I would personally love to see a UHF CB in every brigade truck & base across SA so should the SAGRN goes into a system meltdown due to large amounts of calls during a large fire then the UHF radios would come in handy
Kalangadoo Brigade

PF_

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 06:08:45 PM »
not a bad idea

Toast

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:02:13 PM »
Awesome, another radio, in an already cramped cab, that we would rarely use... Hey, I think theyre great for rural brigades that may have a use for them, but for *EVERY* brigade, nooo way

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
How many radio's would people like us to have in the cab of our appliances???? boy its hard now with grn/vhf/cfa and not too mention the mobile phone.By the way don't run out and get a uhf for your appliances with out getting permission from the region...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:48:59 AM »
Trust me it's cramped, we've got in both our trucks, 1 x truck mounted GRN,VHF,UHF, 1 x GRN portable, 2 x VHF portables, and 4 x UHF portables.

But the UHF does come in extremely handy sometimes, we can liase with local council, SAAS and SAPOL with the CB as all have them on their local trucks/cars.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 10:50:11 AM »
Trust me it's cramped, we've got in both our trucks, 1 x truck mounted GRN,VHF,UHF, 1 x GRN portable, 2 x VHF portables, and 4 x UHF portables.

But the UHF does come in extremely handy sometimes, we can liase with local council, SAAS and SAPOL with the CB as all have them on their local trucks/cars.

My god, I would like to see a photo on how all those radios are laid out in the truck cab. You must have microphone cables running everywhere.

I can see the use though.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 02:53:29 PM »
I once had a look inside one of the Gambier Group trucks at Mount Gambier show and they had a small steel 3 shelf container holding their truck siren,UHF CB & VHF
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 04:24:48 PM »
CB is mounted between the driver and passenger on the top part of the truck, VHF and GRN are mounted between the driver and passenger where the spare seat normally is and we've just got hold of these great canvas things that fold over the bar between front and back seats that hold all vests, handheld radios, maglights, maps/UBD and 6 bottles of water.

Until these things came along we had stuff stashed everywhere in the cab but now it's pretty tidy.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

PF_

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »
dual or single cab?

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
The way things are going we may have to tow a trailer with all that extra gear that takes up soooooooooooo much room. :lol:

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 05:54:17 PM »
Radio???    We still have two cups on a 5km reel of string...  Just meets our boundary...........

Do you guys have radios ???????

*tounge pressed very firmly in cheek ! *

PF_

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 05:55:32 PM »
You been watching the Wedge havent you :-P

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »
dual or single cab?

Both dual's :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 12:04:09 AM »
I can understand the usefulness of UHF etc in rural areas- especially to communicate with local farmers and private ff appliances.  In urban areas though I cannot see the need.  We use both VHF and UHF portables for fireground communication but not for "back to base".

As for the cab, well as it is we have GRN, GRN portable (used for MFS TG150, as we are EMA), intercom and PA microphones all within reach of the driver.  Please, no more microphones!

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 11:51:25 PM »
WICEN is the primary means for communication for all services if a HUGE disaster or communication breakdown occurs. WICEN has equipment permenantly in Adelaide in case it needs to be used. WICEN also has many members that have quite high RF technical skills, but also have a huge statewide coverage  of their own.

CB on the other hand is great in our appliances, it is up to the brigade if there is a need for one.
Talk to buses, cars, truckies whatever on the highway going to prangs.... Also talking to farmer units during grass fires???

Sam

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 08:27:40 AM »
Just reading a article in TASFIRE and all tasfire appliances are now to be fitted with UHF radios so as to talk to private/farm units. It will also allow control and command of private units on the fire ground but also ensure they have the correct information,ppe and that names are recorded as to whos is on what appliances....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »
That would be a very good idea for here in SA as we have alot of farm units,private forestry companies and Bulk Water Carriers and so on who operate on UHF CB
Kalangadoo Brigade

anything