Author Topic: election time  (Read 17601 times)

rescue5271

election time
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »
well its that time of the year again and you know you can always tell its brigade or group election as those members that you dont see over the past year start showing up at training.... Sad but true ,would be nice if they could show up all the other times rather than just at one time of the year......

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: election time
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:10:58 PM »
and they have free beer and BBQ
I love the part timers

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:31:36 PM »
free beer and BBQ where?????

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »
yea the other part of this time of the year are the suck ups treating you like scheiße for 18 months but now its election time they suck up every ones donkey
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
hah, weve never seen any special treatment... of course there is no choice for us anyway, as i dont believe there is anyone else to put there hand up,

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 05:16:59 PM »

This sounds good....

15:21:24 26-06-06 MENG: REMINDER: SOCIAL NIGHT TONIGHT INCLUDING QUIZ NIGHT. COORONG MULLET AND SNAGS FOR TEA. BYO DRINKS. CAPTAIN. 26/06/2006. 15:20.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »
A brigade I used to be in had rules regarding voting rights. If you didnt attend a minimum of training nights and monthly meetings you were deemed to not be in touch with what was happenning. Therefore you couldnt vote on issues or for people in the elections. Does any other brigades do this and is it enforced (hard to do)

Toast

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 03:11:35 PM »
Enjoy the next year with them...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »
All brigades vote every 2 years - its just that the don't all vote in the one year... So yeah, enjoy the next year... :P

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 06:42:47 PM »
Have you contacted your region VSO??? and asked them for help???

Toast

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 03:31:57 AM »
That shall be interesting...

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »

This sounds good....

15:21:24 26-06-06 MENG: REMINDER: SOCIAL NIGHT TONIGHT INCLUDING QUIZ NIGHT. COORONG MULLET AND SNAGS FOR TEA. BYO DRINKS. CAPTAIN. 26/06/2006. 15:20.

He, he, he, he - It was good :-D

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 12:15:48 PM »
:-( :-( :-( :-( :-(NOOOOOOOOOOOO Well a year is not that long a guess, at least it is not like parliment, every four years

Warning very old subject & comment following:-

At least in CFS you can vote, in SES the Unit Manager is appointed and does not change. :x
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 12:51:54 PM »
at least in SES its not a popularity contest.

SES have a system whereby the person is interviewed by paid staff and appointed based on there ability, experience, training and so forth...

IMO a better system.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:24 PM »
If only that were totally true medevac.

The person is recommended to region by the outgoing unit manager. This is very rarely disputed... so you end up with the whole dynasty thing still.....

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 01:36:33 PM »
Sorry medevac, I agree with Mike..

it can be a boy's club situation...who's chummy with whom..and as it's been proven, those with the most training are NOT always the best person for the position..

We've just had to vote a GO out with a no confidence motion (approx 12mths ago) because he wasn't doing the right thing..and he had ALL the training possible.. :-o

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »
the key word there though is 'recommended', and yes i understand that may be rarely disputed, but at least they are being appointed in a bias free system (hopefully)

the 'boys club situation' would be the same as your average popularity contest anyway...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »
the key word there though is 'recommended', and yes i understand that may be rarely disputed, but at least they are being appointed in a bias free system (hopefully)

the 'boys club situation' would be the same as your average popularity contest anyway...

My problem is that the appointee is not 'performance reviewed'. I believe this is trying to be implemented by 'position desciptions' being setup by SHQ, but a difficult document to be set.

In a few situations, the person is fantastic for a few years, then gets stale and set in their ways. They have used the '...we have always done it this way...' attitude. This has happened all the way through hierarchy in the past.

Sometimes the only way to get past the issue is for the volunteer to swap Units. This has happened..

In theory with the CFS, the Captain needs to continue performing to hold the position. Otherwise they loose the position. In theory anyway, but sometimes the 'boys club' popularity pole happens.

Each system has advantages and dis-advantages.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 05:21:08 PM »
hmmm maybe the system is just as bad then  :-D

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 05:38:58 PM »
hmmm maybe the system is just as bad then  :-D

Nah..every system or procedure is not perfect & will have faults. Everyone just needs to accept a need for constant improvement and not to 'empire build'.

Hell, I work in the computer industry which constantly changes and people do not like it. So I cant expect it elsewhere.....well maybe I can :wink: :lol: :lol:
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 08:41:19 PM »
Some brigades do have pre-requisites before you can stand for certain positions. Salisbury, 2 years in that brigade before you can be a senior, 3 i think for Lieutenant. Training officer has to have some instructing/training qualifications. This might not work for some brigades but is a good concept.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »
wasnt part of the project phoenix findings have something to do with election of officers?

Think someone said they wanted to change it so the brigade nomintated the people and regional (or group?) chose the person.  Mainly based on training and experiance rather then popularity.

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

pumprescue

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37:56 AM »
Now Heysen group officer has had a whinge to the region and there is going to be a re-vote next Wednesday.......sore loser

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »
Now Heysen group officer has had a whinge to the region and there is going to be a re-vote next Wednesday.......sore loser

How can he?  If it's all been played above board...I can't see how he can make that happen?

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:54 PM »
well i guess the whinge is about him getting 4 votes and 4 votes going to (new GO :?). Same happend last group election.

voting is not that simple, each candidate is supposed to be knocked out one by one leaving a "winner".  That's how our group election was done as chaired by the RC.

PS. sometimes I think some of things posted here about specific people are pretty borderline.

anything