Author Topic: Mount Barker Pumper  (Read 44032 times)

Good times

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 05:21:44 PM »
No spoke to a friend at Burnside who said thats what they have been told, as they wanted to know what they were getting, they actually told me theirs was a one off PTO version, so that will be nice to see in the flesh.
The rest will be the same as the current 24P but with more water.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 05:49:34 PM »
Heard Belair may be getting the same to replace pumper. Hope we can get a PTO as well! Thanks
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

corocfs

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »
would be good to see another 4wd appliance in the "city end" of the group (plz no comments about CFS not only being rural, but urban as well), sounds like a 34P may be a good option for belair.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 07:53:15 PM »
Alex, if it came with a PTO I'd say yes, but would still prefer a Type 2 Pumper (my choice!)
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

corocfs

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
fair enuf, id like to see a pumper at coro as well instead of our cfs standard 24 (as we cover a few high risks as well, schools, craigburn etc.) but its just not practical.. we cant purely decide what appliances we want, by there abilities to supply MFS appliances with water.

you stated somewhere in another post as one of your arguments for a pumper (i understand that it isnt the only one!!!) that you required a type 2 pumper, not a 24P, because you have had to supply the MFS bronto with water two times in the last year. this is not a justified reason, supplying water to an MFS truck is an MFS job, we need trucks to protect our own area not MFS area.

sure a 24P or 34P with a powerful PTO pump would be great though.. no arguments there, and i acknowledge that we need trucks capable of shifting a lot of water quickly for assets such as the hospital and nursing homes, but we also need 4WDs, your brigade for instance is the first response into belair national park, and if we cant get enough trucks in there quickly from our end on a bad day, then we might as well just be calling upper sturt or stirling and tell them to catch it as it burns out he other side.

the type 2s entry/exit angles are to low, this isnt only going to affect off road capabilities, but think about some roads in belair/eden hills/coromandel valley area (extremely windy, tight and steep), i dont think trucks with such low clearances would make it down and around many of our suburbs.

Good times

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2005, 11:54:43 PM »
Yeah thats a point, but for a 34P to be usefull as a pumping appliance it MUST have 4 in and 4 out, then you could live with it, but as they are I think it would be a step backwards for you Belair. I guess the problem lies when you have been used to having top of the range gear under council funding, but when you come under central funding you get the basic stuff like the rest of us do. I guess you need to do some research in your area to see if what you are getting is suitable for what you protect.  Look at your current pumper and compare, if a 34P in its normal configuration will do everything you need it to do to the best possible level then thats all you need, if not then you have some work to do!!
 But I think we are cutting out too many of the pumpers instead of increasing the number, but hey I am only a volunteer , what would I know.

Good times

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 12:02:08 AM »
Also James, in regards to the Type 2, they are not that expensive for what you are getting, if we tapped into the NSWFB order we could get a number of them for a reasonable price, and at the same time increase our pumping abilty. After all, if NSWFB are doing 150 this year surely 3 or 4 extra's isn't gonna hurt, and we could save some $$$$

IT would be interesting to do a count of what pumpers are still out there and see what we are going to lose, might be an indication of where the service is heading in the future, I smell a NSWRFS type service in the future? Multiple 4x4 light pumpers, with a SAMFS type service doing everything else, but I don't think this is the right topic for that.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 07:53:38 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think a 34 would not fit in Belair station.

The story I have heard that the CFS will spend 50K on making the station bigger ( not sure how)
It would be better to give Belair the 50K to make an applaince they need

Good times

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 11:39:25 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think a 34 would not fit in Belair station.

The story I have heard that the CFS will spend 50K on making the station bigger ( not sure how)

Hmmm, good point, James food for thought?

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 02:50:56 PM »
Good point's all round guys thanks. Alex just letting you know one of the times Belair was used to supply water to the Abbey in Blackwoods area, at the cold store fire and the other was the Mitcham Shops, which is in the enhanced response area, MFS area sure, and we're all there to do the same job.

As for off road, I'd have to say that over 98% of jobs that Belair have been to in the last year with Pumper have been black top only and we've only taken Pumper offroad to one fire in the park and one grassie in Brown Hill Creek, both time numerous other brigades responded and the grassie Blackwood Rescue drove into it so I can't see why a Type 2 wouldn't!

Got the view of fight the fire you responding to, not the one that might happen later. i.e. the majority of soem brigades work is Urban related so it make sense to give them urban related appliances! Got a second appliance for rural work, it would be nice 14 was a bit bigger, more water , longer HP and bigger pump!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »
Current 24P's fit in Belair station, don't know if 34P cab will be taller. They can always increase the station height to fit an aerial pumper in a few years (ha, I'd like to see the day!)
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Belair Aerial
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 02:59:40 PM »
Quote from: JamesGar
Current 24P's fit in Belair station, don't know if 34P cab will be taller. They can always increase the station height to fit an aerial pumper in a few years (ha, I'd like to see the day!)

The problems is it might be a red areial pumper :evil:

Only joking :shock:

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Belair 14
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 03:03:54 PM »
So it would be nice if Belair 14 had more water etc

You mean you would like a 24  :?:

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 03:49:02 PM »
YEah, 24, 24P, 34 more water bigger appliance, I'd certainly prefer that personally! I haven't been anywhere in 14 that I wouldn't happily take a bigger appliance!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

corocfs

Re: 34
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2005, 10:28:22 PM »
Quote from: fire03rescue

you have got to be joking!!!!!!  :roll:

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2005, 07:36:51 AM »
For anyone not familiar with the Mt Barker pumper.

http://www.safirefighter.com/pic1.htm

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2005, 11:10:05 AM »
Back to the original topic aboiut Mt Barkers Dennis Pumper. In last weekends paper I read that the National Government is going to bar further importation of Grey (used) vehicles. All vehicle coming into Australia must pass both emission and safety regs of ADR prior to arriving in the country unless they are made prior to 1988. This will probably put a stop to CFS buying any further 13 year old Dennis Appliances from the UK! Some would say a pity! Verdict is still out for me!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

corocfs

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2005, 03:51:45 PM »
hehe.. not bad, if you dont mind driving around in a box.. (just joking)

looks good,  

can we get more detailed photos when it has been properly kitted out... anyone from mt barker?

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »
From what I gather from the Promo Unit website Mt Barker have finally taken delivery of Dennis!  :?  I'll wait and see how it goes...
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Good times

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2005, 10:05:50 PM »
Don't hold your breath, the Volvo was still front runner today.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2005, 07:15:55 PM »
I haven't held my breath yet!!! So why would I start? :P
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2005, 12:32:08 PM »
I see the Dennis is in the workshop at the moment.  Can anyone from Mt. Barker tell us why? Is this just routine stuff or is there a problem?
Adam, Meningie
(curious)

Good times

Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2005, 05:53:19 PM »
I understand it's mechanical faults, not up to scratch so they took it back. Fair enough to, you get a "new" truck you expect it to work 100%.

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2005, 09:21:03 AM »
It is like stirling pumper :lol:
The old logo is much better

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
A fair expectation indeed. Problem is, its happening with all to many of the new appliances now days!

Did it actually get to do anything before it got sent back??

anything